Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PT Evo grip, easiest way to finish?

ARac40

Hey guys, first time ever posting...

I just purchased a PT Evo grip, which comes without a finish from the factory. I’m looking for ideas on how to finish it at home or a place to send it. 

Any help or ideas are appreciated. 

Thanks!

-Tony 

Hey guys, first time ever posting...

I just purchased a PT Evo grip, which comes without a finish from the factory. I’m looking for ideas on how to finish it at home or a place to send it. 

Any help or ideas are appreciated. 

Thanks!

-Tony 
dry erase so you can get festive with it during the holidays [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]2e5b3232d1520dbd3326cc6294a84df8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have this same dilemma. Don’t want to  cerakote as that will probably take some of the aggressiveness off the grip being that it’s such a thick finish, plus my gun already is IonBond DLC’d. Lots of finishing outfits like IonBond and Black Nitrate have a minimum order value of $300

Edited by TheSandMan491

On 11/29/2018 at 3:44 PM, 36873687 said:

Have one cerakoted an one dlc. Cerakoted one is more aggressive 

Cerakote made it more agressive because we sandblast with 80 grit AO before spraying it. Leaves the surface with a sandpaper texture. If you mix cerakote on the taller end of the acceptable ratios, it’s more of a matte finish and  comes out rougher. Add less hardener and it’s thinner, and smoothes out into a semigloss finish.

I shoot all of my guns in matte.

@ARac40 if you did have it refinished, what color are you thinking about going?

If it’s something I have onhand from another project, I might be able to shoot it pretty cheaply.

That said, cerakote is a very tough paint, but still a paint. You can chip it or sand it off the high spots on the grip texture by skidding it on tables at unloaded starts, etc. My PCC shows noticeable wear around the magwell and on the side it lays on for all the unloaded start practice: I consider it a tool, and actually like my guns to look used. I’ve made no attempt to protect the finish from cosmetic damage.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Just now, 4thquarter said:

Send it to black nitrite, They are fast and reasonably priced, they do have a minimum order so if you can find a couple guys that want to refinish their guns it works best to send at least two or three off at once.

I contacted them here, they were great to work with.

www.blacknitride.com                    

330-745-3075 (PHONE)                    

330-745-3160 (FAX)                          

• 2 weeks later...

I’m torn between Cerakote and the DLC... Cerakotes obviously gonna be cheaper, but that DLC looks sharp. I’m gonna wait until Christmas is over with to move forward with it. 

In case anyone is on the fence about switching to an all metal grip, the PT Evo was a breeze to fit. 

Keep in mind I have a TG series STI frame, so that might make a difference. All in all though, I Broke all the edges where the grip slides onto the frame, had to file the flats on the inside of the Evo to make it fit and then file back the front most portion of the top of the trigger guard where it meets and seats into the frame. 

It was a lot less work than I expected. 

Properly applied cerakote (shot with an Iwata, not a paasche/harbor frieght gun) goes on at .5 - 1 mil and will not affect the texture. It’s durable but will wear at the holster contact points, so if you want it coated stainless I would save the cash and stick to  cerakote since the wear won’t be noticeable.  If you want something darker and are going to be upset when you can see the steel showing at your holster wear then save up and spring for the DLC.

Edited by Hawk21