Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 accuracy with light recoil springs

Climbhard

I’ve put a new Gen5 G34 together to play in CO and honestly I’m not getting the accuracy I’d expect from it.  Shooting with the dot at about 15 yards I’m getting a 3-4” group.  I’m gunning an 11 pound recoil spring and wondering if this is adversely affecting accuracy?  Gun unlocking early?  I’m resting on my range bag.  It’s not me.  

Just because your resting on a bag doesn’t mean your doing it right.  I have a g34 gen 3 and I suck at bagging a gun on rests.  I’ve tried and tried and I actually shoot better freestyle.   A 3 inch group at that close a distance doesn’t seem right especially off a rest.  A lot of shooters run 11 lb springs but the majority 13.  Don’t know if it would have an effect on accuracy but their cheap so try a 13 and see.  Maybe get another shooter that’s good off a bench and see if your groups change.  Could even be your load.  Just too many variables to get a definitive answer.

Try grouping it with the factory recoil spring.  

I have a gen 5 17. With a 13# recoil spring the slide moves forward about .007" when the trigger breaks. With the factory recoil spring it doesnt move. I've read that with the gen 5 design the recoil spring needs to be stiffer to keep the gun in battery. 

Now with that said, I tested a 13, 14, 15, and factory.  I didn't see any change in accuracy.  Pretty much all the same size groups. I ended up with the 13# since it group the best with double tap shots with my load. 

I do have a 11# but never tested it. But it could be that 11# isnt keeping the gun in battery and accuracy is suffering.  So personally I would test with the factory spring! Then go from there!

I wonder if a stock striker spring is pulling the gun out of battery a bit when you pull the trigger and have a 11 pound recoil spring.  I can run 11 pound springs in our Gen 3 34's but our Gen 5 34's are real sluggish going into battery with an 11 pound spring.  If you know that test where you point the gun up pull the trigger and see if the slide will return to battery when cycling the slide.  My wife had the first gen 5 and got the slide cerakoted. It definitely would not return to battery performing that test.  My gun has the factory finish and I never tried the 11 pound spring.  I just went 13 across the platform after that.  I don't like being that close to the edge.  The slide has more mass on the gen 5 34's is my theory on why it needs a little stouter spring, plus your may have a little more weight up there with a dot.  We run reduced power striker springs as well.

I found that since the gen5 recoil rod is slightly longer, the traditional recoil spring does not preload as much as you go to lighter recoil spring weight. The ismi flat wire spring seem to do a better job of closing the slide with lighter weight. 

18 minutes ago, Climbhard said:

Thanks for the comments.  To add more detail.  11 pound spring is an ISMI and striker is 4.5.  I can shoot a one hole group of the range bag with my limited and SS guns so I don’t think the problem is me.  

I did not think the problem was you for sure.  I subscribed to the thread so please do report back your results with a little stiffer recoil spring.  I am using ISMI springs as well.  I have the TTI grandmaster kits in all our 34's now so the striker springs are definitely not stock either.

1 hour ago, 12glocks said:

I wonder if a stock striker spring is pulling the gun out of battery a bit when you pull the trigger and have a 11 pound recoil spring.  I can run 11 pound springs in our Gen 3 34's but our Gen 5 34's are real sluggish going into battery with an 11 pound spring.  If you know that test where you point the gun up pull the trigger and see if the slide will return to battery when cycling the slide.  My wife had the first gen 5 and got the slide cerakoted. It definitely would not return to battery performing that test.  My gun has the factory finish and I never tried the 11 pound spring.  I just went 13 across the platform after that.  I don't like being that close to the edge.  The slide has more mass on the gen 5 34's is my theory on why it needs a little stouter spring, plus your may have a little more weight up there with a dot.  We run reduced power striker springs as well.

I tried it. Pointing it up and racking it after a trigge4 pull and yup, doesn’t go into battery.  Also I’ve got the weight of the Delta point to contend with so I think 11 is just too light . Even hand cycling I would describe it as “sluggish”.  I will swap it out for a 13 and see if there is a change.  Unfortunately, I’m leaving the country for a week and it’s winter here  so I may not be able to test it form quite a while.  When I do I’ll report back ..  

7 hours ago, rooster said:

Just because your resting on a bag doesn’t mean your doing it right.  I have a g34 gen 3 and I suck at bagging a gun on rests.  I’ve tried and tried and I actually shoot better freestyle.   A 3 inch group at that close a distance doesn’t seem right especially off a rest.  A lot of shooters run 11 lb springs but the majority 13.  Don’t know if it would have an effect on accuracy but their cheap so try a 13 and see.  Maybe get another shooter that’s good off a bench and see if your groups change.  Could even be your load.  Just too many variables to get a definitive answer.

+1 ,I also shoot my Glock better freestyle, but, my revolvers or 1911,s I can shoot tighter groups from a rest. Weird huh!

I have a gen 4 d34 with a 11 pound spring that shoots great groups with most anything I put in it. But I get really good groups with a bayou 145, 2.9 grains of tight group. I was getting about 2 inch groups at 25 yards. (Benched) lol. They some other loads and see if that helps. 

On 11/29/2018 at 1:30 PM, Climbhard said:

I tried it. Pointing it up and racking it after a trigge4 pull and yup, doesn’t go into battery.  Also I’ve got the weight of the Delta point to contend with so I think 11 is just too light . Even hand cycling I would describe it as “sluggish”.  I will swap it out for a 13 and see if there is a change.  Unfortunately, I’m leaving the country for a week and it’s winter here  so I may not be able to test it form quite a while.  When I do I’ll report back ..  

yup, it'll vary from to gun to gun, but in my 24, I can't run anything lower than a 13lb recoil spring with a 4.5lb striker spring.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/29/2018 at 1:37 PM, Stymie12000 said:

Try grouping it with the factory recoil spring.  

I have a gen 5 17. With a 13# recoil spring the slide moves forward about .007" when the trigger breaks. With the factory recoil spring it doesnt move. I've read that with the gen 5 design the recoil spring needs to be stiffer to keep the gun in battery. 

Now with that said, I tested a 13, 14, 15, and factory.  I didn't see any change in accuracy.  Pretty much all the same size groups. I ended up with the 13# since it group the best with double tap shots with my load. 

I do have a 11# but never tested it. But it could be that 11# isnt keeping the gun in battery and accuracy is suffering.  So personally I would test with the factory spring! Then go from there!

Did you change your striker spring to a lighter one at the same time?  If not that could be your problem.

4 hours ago, Yoakam said:

Did you change your striker spring to a lighter one at the same time?  If not that could be your problem.

I'm running a 4# wolff striker spring

Even though the slide moves when fired, I don't have any reduced accuracy. So I don't see it as a problem! 

Edited by Stymie12000