Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10 round mags in Production vs down loading?

regor

In reading through various threads here I've noticed a number of mentions of people talking about using 10 round magazines in Production, most recently in this Match Screw-ups thread, but I also recall one about someone at 2018 Nationals shooting Limited nationals with their Production gear. My question is, what incentive is there for using 10 round magazines? The only one I can think of is the issue mentioned in the Match Screw-up thread about getting bumped to Open for overloading.

I can see why you would want to avoid that, but from a training perspective it seems far more convenient to use standard capacity for drills (e.g. I can shoot the Bill drill three times on a single magazine when fully loaded vs. having to use three separate ten rounders or constantly be topping off). You can't just stuff weight into the extra room because the weight is determined with an empty magazine loaded in the pistol, so no gain there either. Am I missing anything? 

The only reason to have 10 round mags is if hi caps are illegal where you live. 10 round mags are notoriously hard to load. Just learn to count to 10 and know the rules well enough to know when to put 11 in the start mag.

Your magazines will have witness holes to tell you what you have in there.  Some 10 round mags will need different base plates vs the standard capacity mags. Any mag loaded to its fullest capacity will be a little harder to seat. If you are a free man in a free state, get the real mags.  

Your magazines will have witness holes to tell you what you have in there.  Some 10 round mags will need different base plates vs the standard capacity mags. Any mag loaded to its fullest capacity will be a little harder to seat. If you are a free man in a free state, get the real mags.  

Be careful relying on the witness holes in Tanfo mags (and maybe others too).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Sounds like it's just personal preference and not too common. I just carefully load all of mine to 10 then if the stage is a loaded start I add an extra to one mag and put it in my front pocket for load and make ready.

I unload every magazine and load using 100 round boxes. I never put more than 10 rounds in a mag. I grew up using a barney mag with my 1911. It makes it impossible to have too many rounds in the gun. I hate getting put into Open Division due to stupidity that can be easily prevented.

But that's just me. ;)

Jay

It really depends on your gun. If I shot a Glock I would never use 10 round Glock mags. getting that last round in the mag is a pain. 

I shoot Tanfo's and came from CZ's on both those brands the 10 round mags are really easy to load. So I use 10 round mags for matches. I have different color base pads on them. In practice I use my 17 round'ers. It just simplifies things. The 10 round'ers are match only so they don't get used as much and I can't over load them. I have been known to use a 17 round mag with 11 in it for the start, but that is stage dependent. On most stages you just don't need that 11th round. If my opening position is 3 to 4 paper targets I see no reason for 11 rounds. Now if I open up on 5 steels and 2 paper targets, I would probably Barney up....

I like only having high cap mags. At a match I unload the entire magazine into a practice box and load a new row of 10 rounds. At practice I like to load the mags to capacity to save time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2018 at 7:18 PM, Sarge said:

The only reason to have 10 round mags is if hi caps are illegal where you live. 10 round mags are notoriously hard to load. Just learn to count to 10 and know the rules well enough to know when to put 11 in the start mag.

This is my exact thoughts. Not sure why you'd specifically buy 10 round mags. Just count them when loading.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/28/2018 at 7:18 PM, Sarge said:

This - But I shoot single stack and it’s 9 rather than 11. I just have a numbered mag separate from my belt in my pocket, and if there’s an unloaded start stage it comes out and so does the +1

• 2 months later...

As mentioned, there's no real reason to purposely buy 10 round mags unless you live in a state where it's illegal to have larger capacity.

I have a P320 full size for Production and all my mags are the standard 17 rounders and I just download them to either 10 or 11.

Don't short-change yourself if you don't have to. Many stages are loaded starts which means you can have that 11th round for 1 in the chamber and 10 in the mag at make ready.

On 11/30/2018 at 3:20 PM, JayWord said:

I unload every magazine and load using 100 round boxes. I never put more than 10 rounds in a mag. I grew up using a barney mag with my 1911. It makes it impossible to have too many rounds in the gun. I hate getting put into Open Division due to stupidity that can be easily prevented.

But that's just me. ;)

Jay

I did it this weekend.

:(

22 minutes ago, ClangClang said:

I have 10 round CZ mags for matches when shooting Prod. It's just one less thing to think about and potentially screw up. It happens - just look above.

it only happens to people who have a faulty process.

otoh, using 10 round mags slows down *every* reload, because you have to consciously slam the mag in harder than you should, because 10 rd mags are generally made to make it difficult to get the 10th round in, and impossible to get an 11th round in. Very common to see shooters with 10 round mags not seat the mag during a reload and have it fall out.

it only happens to people who have a faulty process.

otoh, using 10 round mags slows down *every* reload, because you have to consciously slam the mag in harder than you should, because 10 rd mags are generally made to make it difficult to get the 10th round in, and impossible to get an 11th round in. Very common to see shooters with 10 round mags not seat the mag during a reload and have it fall out.
Depends on your gear. My MecGar mags have standard body and springs but just a dimple to stop follower for 10 rounds. It's no different than loading standard capacity mags.

On 3/18/2019 at 4:11 PM, motosapiens said:

I can only comment on the CZ's as they are the only 10 rounders that I've got, but the 10th round is as easy as the first to load, and they don't require any additional force to seat whatsoever.  I shoot both Prod and CO (same frame, different uppers) and my reload force is identical no matter which mags I'm using.

Just bought some limiters per emails below. $5.50 each or less if you buy more. Figure it is one less thing to worry about at a match. 

Hello,
   Yes the universal will work and should be cut flush at the base with #16 showing in the indicator notch according to our research for the Tanfoglio. 
Here is a link to a precut version at that size. If you have any problems please let me know. 

Best regards,
    Zach

MagazineBlocks LLC
4091 Saint Marys St
Martinez, CA 94553

Instagram: @magazineblocks
Like us on Facebook: @Magblock

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 1:03 PM MagazineBlocks.com <magblocks@gmail.com> wrote:

Name: xxxxxxxx

Comment: Do you know if your universal magblock works well for tanfoglio large frame 17 round 9mm mags?