Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What have you done THATS WORKED or seen work to “game” a stage?

nikdanja

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shooting Open! Before somebody else says, "Shooting PCC", let me just say, shooting Open is gaming and shooting PCC is cheating. :goof:

Other than that Homie is correct. Keep trade secrets to yourself as long as possible. 

Shoot on the run/walk/creep, whatever you call it. I see shooters run to a spot and stop, then engage Steel Poppers out in the open, where I find it less time to creep towards the Poppers and take them down, then hit that spot and engage remaining targets.

Took me a long time to actually read the WSB word for word and not look at a stage as how it was intended to shoot. Realize, that as the match director said last night when I found a single spot where I could shoot all of the targets, that is not what was "intended." But, he agreed, it was not in the WSB. If it is not written than intent does not mean anything.

And yes I cheat and shoot PCC. Next best thing to gain an advantage.

gerritm

4 minutes ago, gerritm said:

... I found a single spot where I could shoot all of the targets, that is not what was "intended." ..

Done that at least once. It wasn't necessarily the best way, but I figured it was the only way for me not to get confused in the forest of no-shoots.

8 hours ago, rustychev said:

Wsb said walls as built.  Guy jumped up and stood on a barrel and shot all the targets.

15 minutes ago, perttime said:

Done that at least once. It wasn't necessarily the best way, but I figured it was the only way for me not to get confused in the forest of no-shoots.

1.2.1 says those are illegal stages. Should have been fixed and reshot or tossed. 

29 minutes ago, Sarge said:

1.2.1 says those are illegal stages. Should have been fixed and reshot or tossed. 

29 minutes ago, Sarge said:

true but also not how the stage builder ever thought someone would shoot it.

12 hours ago, Sarge said:

Shooting Open! Before somebody else says, "Shooting PCC", let me just say, shooting Open is gaming and shooting PCC is cheating. :goof:

Other than that Homie is correct. Keep trade secrets to yourself as long as possible. 

Play to win, if you cant win, cheat and if you can't cheat don't play!

PCC for life

i don't see how shooting open or pcc is an advantage. Everyone else in the division has the same advantage, and no one in the real divisions GAF.

Most of the successful gaming I have seen involves finding leans around things or through windows to see more targets and cut out a position or two. This even happens on carefully proofed stages at nationals. So I tend to look for that sort of thing.

I have noticed at our local matches that sometimes barrels get magically moved during the match to expose targets that couldn't be seen from a particular position before. I'm not saying pcc shooters cheat, but I have taken to nailing down the barrels (or spray-painting the position) to make it harder for pcc shooters to cheat.

10 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

i don't see how shooting open or pcc is an advantage. Everyone else in the division has the same advantage, and no one in the real divisions GAF.

REAL DIVISIONS. LOL WHATEVER!! PCC IS NOT A REAL DIVISION BUT OPEN CERTAINLY IS. ONCE I SWITCHED TO OPEN I STARTED SHOOTING BETWEEN BARRELS, WALLS ETC THAT WOULD BE DUMB TO TRY WITH IRON SIGHTS. I MAINLY SHOOT FOR FUN AGAINST MYSELF.

I'm not saying pcc shooters cheat, but I have taken to nailing down the barrels (or spray-painting the position) to make it harder for pcc shooters to cheat.

:goof: LOL

I tend to tie gaming to exploiting stage design and/or stage briefings. 

For example: Leaning into/through a port to eliminate a shooting position. It's especially helpful if the position that you eliminated would have been the final position.

As for stage starts:

• (Table Start with first mag on table/barrel) Magazine basically in the magwell when it's on the table. Clap your hands, rack it, go!
  • Facing uprange "enough".
  • Hands touching the x's, but the rest of your body can be offset in the direction that you plan on going (i.e., a lean will get you into your first position as opposed to needing a step or two)

16 hours ago, HoMiE said:

Not telling because people will just write better WSB to remove any advantages that can be exploited. 🤣

Indeed. Let's hope it doesn't get to the point where the WSB is a multi-paragraph essay that takes 10 minutes to filter through.

5 hours ago, Sarge said:

It was a long time ago (not sure what rules applied then), and I recall it was an outlaw match in some way, in any case.

1 hour ago, Rez805 said:

I tend to tie gaming to exploiting stage design and/or stage briefings. 

For example: Leaning into/through a port to eliminate a shooting position. It's especially helpful if the position that you eliminated would have been the final position.

As for stage starts:

• (Table Start with first mag on table/barrel) Magazine basically in the magwell when it's on the table. Clap your hands, rack it, go

Isn't this a game?

I do table starts like that all the time. Not sure why that is not ok? It is available for everyone to do. If you chose not to, that is your decision. And it is not in the magwell.  I never recall it saying magazine must be X inches away from gun. Sometimes there is an X for your gun and an X for the mag. 

Edited by echotango

5 minutes ago, echotango said:

Isn't this a game?

I do table starts like that all the time. Not sure why that is not ok? It is available for everyone to do. If you chose not to, that is your decision. I never recall it saying magazine must be X inches away from gun. Sometimes there is an X for your gun and an X for the mag. 

Depending on the table surface, I've seen some guys pick up nasty splinters that way, too.  Roll the dice and take your chances if it's an old plywood table.  I wouldn't advise it for tightly loaded mags, though.  Too easy to not seat the mag properly.

One thing I see (and do) involves running outside the shooting area around a wall to avoid backtracking.

2 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Depending on the table surface, I've seen some guys pick up nasty splinters that way, too.  Roll the dice and take your chances if it's an old plywood table.  I wouldn't advise it for tightly loaded mags, though.  Too easy to not seat the mag properly.

One thing I see (and do) involves running outside the shooting area around a wall to avoid backtracking.

Correct, it really depends on the table surface.  

If the WSB just says "Starting outside the shooting area" and does NOT say, "Both feet outside the shooting area", i start with one foot inside the shooting area and my other foot on the fault line with my toe touching outside the fault line.

Basically, if you could call me for a foot fault during the stage, then that should count as being 'outside' for the start position.

Additionally, if it doesn't say "Both hands, Both Toes, etc." than i'm going to try to push that envelope as well.

Because I try to game all these things, my WSB's are usually pretty 'tight'.

The biggest thing in "gaming" is to just read the WSB and walk the stage as presented, bring nothing to your stage plan but the rule book and the stage thats there. 

look at the stage and try to see what the designer is trying to make you do and then look again and see if there is a way to not do that then decide whats faster/better and do that.

What I have seen make the most positive difference in a stage is engaging moving targets before activating them

On the other side I do love stages with hands anywhere starts either holstered or table where shooters "game" it by hovering their hands just above the gun then rush and get a bad grip or slower than normal draw because they are taking short cuts in their normal routine.