Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 powder spills onto shellplate

I'm loading 38 Super with 8.4 grains of Silhouette. I've done all the recommended steps (aftermarket ball, spring, rollers, etc.) to make the shellplate travel smoother and not come to an abrupt stop at the end of the stroke. But I still was getting powder spilling onto the shellplate.  

It appears that the  powder is somehow sticking to the end of the powder check rod, then falls off when the case is withdrawn from the powder check die. I've polished the end of the rod and wiped it with a dryer sheet to try to eliminate "static cling."  When I operate the press without the powder rod, I get no spillage.

Anyone else seen this occur? 

Any Ideas to solve it?  I'm now just using a light to insure the powder level is correct, but I'd like to use the powder check die as designed.

On 11/28/2018 at 1:39 PM, R1valdez said:

Really appreciate the time you took to post.  This will certainly help spilling that occurs from centrifugal force when the shellplate advances.  Still looking for an answer to the "powder-sticking-to-rod problem.  Any ideas?

On 11/28/2018 at 1:40 PM, Sarge said:

Sorry, but ditch the powder check and just visually check each case for powder. I hav never seen the need for powder checks in pistol loads

I respect your opinion, and typically do visually check and do not completely rely on the powder check.  But do you have any thoughts to solve my issue besides losing the powder check die altogether?

Edited by dons
typos

12 minutes ago, dons said:

I respect your opinion, and typically do visually check and do not completely rely on the powder check.  But do you have any thoughts to solve my issue besides losing the powder check die altogether?

I don't know. Piece of masking tape on the end? Get it hard chromed? Check humidity in loading area? Change powder? Who knows, maybe roughing up the end would help break friction? Bead blast it?

If hand placing bullets (not using Mr. bullet Feeder)... Try holding bullet with thumb and index finger while letting your middle finger pad drag along side of shell plate as it advances and stops.  This will address zeroing in on press stabilization, shell plate smoothness, and static charge (surface tension) spillage root-causes.  This makes you the grounding rod as you are moving 2x the powder of most hand loaders.

On 11/28/2018 at 3:24 PM, dons said:

It appears that the  powder is somehow sticking to the end of the powder check rod, then falls off when the case is withdrawn from the powder check die.

The pc detects double and no charges and isn't really intended to detect small variations from the intended load. For loads that approach half full, a double or no charge will be real obvious when you look in the case. You won't miss it if you look. And if the desired load fills more than half the case, a double charge will be spilling out and all over the machine. You definitely won't miss it. So you can probably dump the pc and see if that fixes things.

On 11/30/2018 at 3:20 AM, Warsaw214 said:

If hand placing bullets (not using Mr. bullet Feeder)... Try holding bullet with thumb and index finger while letting your middle finger pad drag along side of shell plate as it advances and stops.  This will address zeroing in on press stabilization, shell plate smoothness, and static charge (surface tension) spillage root-causes.  This makes you the grounding rod as you are moving 2x the powder of most hand loaders.

Thank you, this makes sense; but I tried it and it didn't work for me. 

So I did what I should have in the beginning.  I called Dillon. I followed their advice and grounded the press with a wire to one of the plate (ground) screws on a nearby electrical outlet, and wiped the press down with a dryer sheet. Shell plate, powder funnel, inside the powder hopper, anywhere I  could reach. Loaded a couple hundred and the spillage is almost nonexistent.

So, Warsaw214,  I just needed to expand your advice and get a really good ground and use the dryer sheet to eliminate the static electricity.  Thanks again!