Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can't seem to get rid of sympathetic strong hand tensioning with trigger pull

thouston406

For the life of me I cannot seem to train out of my strong hand the tensing of my entire hand when pulling the trigger. It has been my biggest problem in shooting and I always overcame it by support hand grip pressure instead of solving the problem. Does anyone have any advice/exercises/drills that can help train out this bad habit?

EDIT TO TITLE: I meant to say Can't seem to get RID OF sympathetic strong hand tensioning with trigger pull.

and to add....I am left handed and this is causing my sights to move and throw shots to the right when shooting at speed. I can pull the trigger and not disturb sight picture/ alignment fine but when I get into a match and start rocking and rolling I go back into the old habit for some reason.

3 minutes ago, thouston406 said:

EDIT TO TITLE: I meant to say Can't seem to get RID OF sympathetic strong hand tensioning with trigger pull.

and to add....I am left handed and this is causing my sights to move and throw shots to the right when shooting at speed. I can pull the trigger and not disturb sight picture/ alignment fine but when I get into a match and start rocking and rolling I go back into the old habit for some reason.

Fixed.

Check this podcast by Hwansik Kim.

Analysis of Performance

He talks for one about grip. How he is very light with palm side to side grip and mostly front to back grip. He talked about gripping as hard as you can until the sights/dot moves, then just relax till things are stable, that's his grip. I tried this and it works great. I slow fire at 10 yards and watch my dot (Czechmate). It will most of the time come back to where it started, without me having to pull it back down. Get that slow fire practice going then speed up. Front to back grip, light on the palm grip.

21 hours ago, Lastcat said:

Check this podcast by Hwansik Kim.

Analysis of Performance

He talks for one about grip. How he is very light with palm side to side grip and mostly front to back grip. He talked about gripping as hard as you can until the sights/dot moves, then just relax till things are stable, that's his grip. I tried this and it works great. I slow fire at 10 yards and watch my dot (Czechmate). It will most of the time come back to where it started, without me having to pull it back down. Get that slow fire practice going then speed up. Front to back grip, light on the palm grip.

21 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

I get this too with my support hand (left hand) sometimes pulling my sights left when I'm gripping particularly hard. I think it may be caused by you gripping TOO hard, relative to your maximum grip strength.

I think relaxing my strong hand grip would help to solve this problem theoretically but that's another aspect that I have been struggling with. 

I suppose what I really need to do is, like you said Lastcat, is start from the basics and rebuild it from the groun up doing it correctly. That podcast episode by Kim was great as well as the one with Eric Grauffel (spelling?). I also had listened to the shoot fast podcast where Joel Park has talked about having to relax his strong hand as he was having the same issue. I was wondering if there were other ways to potentially train it out without starting from the ground up, but it seems not.

2 hours ago, thouston406 said:

I think relaxing my strong hand grip would help to solve this problem theoretically but that's another aspect that I have been struggling with. 

I suppose what I really need to do is, like you said Lastcat, is start from the basics and rebuild it from the groun up doing it correctly. That podcast episode by Kim was great as well as the one with Eric Grauffel (spelling?). I also had listened to the shoot fast podcast where Joel Park has talked about having to relax his strong hand as he was having the same issue. I was wondering if there were other ways to potentially train it out without starting from the ground up, but it seems not.

Give it a try, it's a good place to start. I was slow firing from 10 yards and watching my dot, about 3 sec between shots, just to keep a close eye on how the dot/sights were moving. I was able to shoot a good 20 rounds. Then started to speed up just a bit. Front to back pressure and slight palm grip worked for me. For the trigger finger, go slow and free. I was making sure I wasn't smashing the trigger and no other finger was in the way or putting pressure on my trigger finger. It takes a bit to get your strong hand to hold tight and yet keep a loose trigger finger.

I had a pretty good shooter tell me he focused on gripping the gun with his pinky finger.  Claimed it helped him relax his trigger finger.

I have noticed when I'm shooting my best my wrist seems to be the focus of my grip.  Yet at some points I'll lose focus and start spraying anyway?

I've also noticed if my wrist isn't feeling flexed, it doesn't matter how hard I grip the gun it will still recoil more than I like.

I know what "limp wristing" is and my grip never gets to that point.

Try using one of those grip strength devices but don't use index finger, if you can practice squeezing that without moving your index finger in theory you should be able to shoot without pulling the sights. i used to have this same issue and this worked for me.

Try using one of those grip strength devices but don't use index finger, if you can practice squeezing that without moving your index finger in theory you should be able to shoot without pulling the sights. i used to have this same issue and this worked for me.
I'll try this as well. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This is THE most common problem in shooting. There is physiologic reason for it. The hand is wired to either make a strong grip (like gripping a hammer) or precise grip (like making jewelry, writing or in this case trigger pull) . It is not wired to do both at same time. Yes you can overcome this with tons of practice or any of the methods described in this topic,  BUT the easiest way to do this is totally relax the strong hand. This means virtually all the grip is done with off hand.  Strong hand only fine tunes sight picture and is loose to allow precise trigger control.To do this you need to actively engage the thumb on weak hand.
Funny you say that because that is exactly how I am retraining my grip. Still working on it. But it is becoming more natural but it's absolutely still in its infancy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk