Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are we getting the right value out of our membership fees?

nasty618

1 hour ago, IVC said:

USPSA is like any other sports organization. We pay nominal fees and in exchange we have an "organized structure." While the organization has a goal of developing the sport, it's really up to us, the participants and the volunteers. The USPSA provides support and logistics......                      

.........The mission of the organization is to support the growth of the sport that comes from us, the members. The USPSA doesn't work for us in the traditional sense where we get something in exchange for our membership fees, the USPSA provides the framework and structure within which we can play and attract new members. 

Well said.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, IVC said:

Expecting USPSA to set up milestones and quantifiable goals is naive -

So the folks who run for elected office, by membership vote, should not be doing this? I vote on a position based upon the goals and values that the candidates advertise, and if a person runs a second time I will consider what I know of his actions while he held the position the first time. 

What specific "goals and values" do you consider?

I'm not being facetious, just trying to make a point that they will almost certainly be more generic goals than what you would find in a for-profit organization. Sure there are some projects that require strict business treatment, e.g., IT projects, accounting, legal and alike, but those are supporting projects that are not the core of the mission. Again, look at any other sports organization (not considering professional leagues, those are true businesses) and their mission statement and it will very clear that they are completely different from regular, for-profit businesses.

5 hours ago, IVC said:

What specific "goals and values" do you consider?

I'm not being facetious, just trying to make a point that they will almost certainly be more generic goals than what you would find in a for-profit organization.

Depends upon the candidate. In the interviews in the USPSA mag and other media (Ben Stoeger did some pod cast interviews that come to mind) some of the folks were very specific about what they wanted to accomplish and some were more generic. Obviously there is not an end of year bonus plan with milestones so if that is your point then yes things are less tied to target dates and threshold values. 

Our bylaws are clear about USPSA’s objects and purposes:

ARTICLE 3-OBJECTS AND PURPOSES:

The objects and purposes of this corporation shall be

i.) to promote amateur national and international athletic competition,

ii.) to educate the public of the benefits of practical shooting,

iii.) to train Range Officers,

iv.) to set forth rules and regulations for the conduct of practical shooting,

v.) to assist in safely and fairly holding practical shooting contests, and

vi.) to set forth a system under the auspices of the corporation that will train, develop and qualify athletes to represent the United States in international practical shooting competition.

3.1 Direction: In order to accomplish its stated purpose the corporation shall

i.) set forth and publish rules and guidelines for the conduct of practical shooting contests,

ii.) establish a system for classifying competitors within various classes of abilities,

iii.) establish and publish the corporate newsletter, defined herein as Front Sight Magazine,

iv.) establish and direct the National Range Officer Institute, a division of the corporation, to train and certify range officials,

v.) establish a system for qualifying competitors to participate in national championship contests,

vi.) conduct national championship contests annually in order to determine champions and qualify team(s) of competitors to represent the United States in international competition(s), and

vii.) conduct other business and activities to accomplish the purposes of the organization as the Board of Directors may authorize from time-to-time……

3.4 Enfold: It is the intent of the corporation to set forth structures, rules, regulations, and to delineate authority and responsibility in order to unite the United States Region, International Practical Shooting Confederation, the USPSA affiliated clubs and sections, the National Range Officers Institute and such other entities with which the USPSA Board Of Directors may from time to time wish to align the association into a viable and formal relationship with its current and prospective members…..

Affiliated Clubs are autonomous in nature and are specifically allowed to conduct club business according to their own local, State and Federal laws, club bylaws, and/or business practices.

Source: https://uspsa.org/announcement/288

14 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

It will be interesting to see what issues the candidates will be running on this year.

My platform would be; make a hardcopy rulebook available at a fair price; stop screwing around with divisions, get the r.o. (and shooter) training out of the Stone Age, encourage folks to think of this as a fun pastime instead of getting wadded up when they don't have to, and let the users vote on any more big changes.