Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Budget 1911 Ignition parts

MikeBurgess

I'm doing some learning on a RIA 9mm 1911 and need to replace the factory spur hammer with one that will work with a beaver tail. My question boils down to I don't want to drop $150ish on a top shelf ignition kit for what in the end will still be a $300 gun, so who makes the best budget parts?   The Wilson Value line looks reasonably priced what other options are there?

Try EGW - really good stuff at reasonable prices. Their ignition kit includes hammer, sear, disconnector, main spring, and Colt sear spring for $134, but you can probably find deals for less right now. I used an Extreme Engineering kit with hammer, sear, and disconnector in a put together open gun and I recall that it was less than $120. 

On 11/28/2018 at 11:20 AM, Jim Watson said:

If you can get a good pull with the factory parts, just bob the hammer spur until it clears the beavertail.

Or eliminate the spur entirely, you are not going to go Condition 2 are you?

I have a bobbed hammer on another 1911, mostly want a new hammer for appearance. 

As others have said EGW is top notch. But for a budget and decent quality Fusion Firearms is what I've often used. Don't see much mention of them around the net despite the good quality parts I've experienced. I have used their parts in various personal guns and currently have two 1911's with their hammers in them. One in a STI Spartan gut and rebuild and another in a dedicated 2011 frame for a .22 conversion upper. Both have tons of rounds through them and no problems or wear related issues. I will say be prepared to stone down the hammer hooks on a fusion hammer to get to the .030" height, they leave them oversized in that area for ability to fit up to anything. 

Cruise the gun shows and see if you can find anyone selling military surplus parts. Bins of that stuff show up from time to time and I clean them out when I find them.

Put an ad up on Armslist that you're looking for broken/busted/gunsmith specials and bump it every couple weeks. A second gun, even broken and rusty, will have lots of spare parts.

But it sounds like all you really need is a hammer. Just buy that in the shape you need and save yourself time and money. Whether you replace one part or all of them, make sure you do a full function and safety check - thumb safety, hammer follow, out of battery, disconnector, grip safety, etc.

1 hour ago, Absocold said:

Dat rear sight doe! How high does it shoot? lol

Next up, aftermarket trigger with overtravel stop and custom grip screws. Then a magwell. Then a... ok, I'm getting carried away.

Its actually pretty close to on as is, the front sight is a old Millett dual crimp ramp so I I'm stuck  with them till I decide to weld it up and mill it for real sights.  luckily the trigger has a over travel screw and the overall trigger is not too bad. it will probably end up with a mag well of some sort sooner or later.