Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Akai 9mm Major

glockman75

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I am sure you tried and I have heard lots others say that sometimes higher PF have less dot movement from gas. I didn't really see much of a diff on mine, but at my level I might not see it. I run it at 175 because that it was felt good to me and the PF wasnt to crazy. So I am guessing your load is the same for you, based on movement and feel etc.?

Not sure about that. I haven’t personally experienced the more gas the better the dot movement. I prefer a lighter softer load.
In my testing the lighter the recoil the better I can muscle the gun.
Example: I love running Winchester white box through the gun. Soo soft.
If I were going out of town to shoot an area match I would be sure I’m chronoing at 170 PF just for insurance but I’d rather be shooting 165.5 for feel.
Im sure some guns are different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

very nice! have you ever shot the "new comp" Akai guns? Do you like the "old school comp" better than the new? Thanks a lot

I have shot the same gun with the new comp. It’s very close. I think the dot may track better with the new comp (straight up and down) the old school comp may be a bit flatter (however the dot wiggles a bit). So ... it’s a trade off.
I wanted the flattest possible so Shay fixed me up with the old school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Basically, slower powder means less pressure but more gas. More gas works comp better. Less pressure is always better for 9mm major speeds. I used WAC until I tried aa7 and 3n37. Both were a softer feel and flatter shooting gun. I could not see much diff in 3n37 vs aa7 other than price and 3n37 being a bit cleaner. The flatter gun mean less dot movement so faster and more accurate 2nd shots. I am about to try some shooter world major pistol powder. Then I will decide between that and aa7. 

Basically, slower powder means less pressure but more gas. More gas works comp better. Less pressure is always better for 9mm major speeds. I used WAC until I tried aa7 and 3n37. Both were a softer feel and flatter shooting gun. I could not see much diff in 3n37 vs aa7 other than price and 3n37 being a bit cleaner. The flatter gun mean less dot movement so faster and more accurate 2nd shots. I am about to try some shooter world major pistol powder. Then I will decide between that and aa7. 

Thanks for the info. Confirms what I’ve been thinking about to try the AA7.

On 12/11/2018 at 8:25 PM, TRPOperator said:

Let's us know your thoughts on Shooters world, it's starting to get a lot of play.. 

On 12/15/2018 at 8:54 AM, Furrly said:

Let's us know your thoughts on Shooters world, it's starting to get a lot of play.. 

So far it takes a couple 10ths more than aa7 maybe a little less dot movement. It feels softer to me, but I only really care about dot movement. I have some aa7 loaded as well and will do a little more comparison and report back. For AA7 I am around 9.4 grns at 173 pf. For MP I am around 10 grns and a 170pf. Still have a little more testing to do as I have been told and read that mp is reverse temp sensitive. 

My results:

Akai full length v6 new comp 9mm

AA7 9.2 grn 124grn pd @ 1.165 170 pf

AA7 9.4 grn 124grn pd @ 1.165 174 pf

MajP 10.0 grn 124grn pd @ 1.165 170pf

MajP 10.2 grn 124grn pd @ 1.165 174pf

Both were very flat. I liked 170pf in both better than the 174 pf. The dot stayed in the glass for both. Both had very consistent fps through the Chrono, with MajP being the best at 5 fps difference between the fastest and slowest. AA7 was at 9fps. 

AA7 tracked straight up and down and felt soft. Lots of gas to work the comp. Returned to zero, with no dipping or having to force the gun down.

MajP tracked up and slightly to the right but did return to zero. It had a little more felt push in the hand, but also had a little less dot lift, so just a bit flatter.

I will continue to play with both, and see what I can out of MajP. It I had to choose now, I would go AA7 as it tracks straighter for me. But MajP is definitely a contender at least in my opinion. 

On 12/19/2018 at 5:18 PM, TRPOperator said:

My results:

Akai full length v6 new comp 9mm

AA7 9.2 grn 124grn pd @ 1.165 170 pf

AA7 9.4 grn 124grn pd @ 1.165 174 pf

MajP 10.0 grn 124grn pd @ 1.165 170pf

MajP 10.2 grn 124grn pd @ 1.165 174pf

Both were very flat. I liked 170pf in both better than the 174 pf. The dot stayed in the glass for both. Both had very consistent fps through the Chrono, with MajP being the best at 5 fps difference between the fastest and slowest. AA7 was at 9fps. 

AA7 tracked straight up and down and felt soft. Lots of gas to work the comp. Returned to zero, with no dipping or having to force the gun down.

MajP tracked up and slightly to the right but did return to zero. It had a little more felt push in the hand, but also had a little less dot lift, so just a bit flatter.

I will continue to play with both, and see what I can out of MajP. It I had to choose now, I would go AA7 as it tracks straighter for me. But MajP is definitely a contender at least in my opinion. 

Give 115s and AA7 a try. 

7 hours ago, Furrly said:

Have you had the experiance of running a Akai Shorty ???

I have shot a middy and middy from other builders, but have shot the shortend middy that see have discussed. I just like a heavier gun and always had full length guns. At my skill level, not sure that would change much, lots of practice I am sure will..lol

And of course being tuned right would have a big impact on feel etc and I don't know what loads were in the above guns.

Edited by TRPOperator

24 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

I'm testing Shooters World and #7 for my czechmate.  Here's the results I've gotten so far, using both RMR and PD 124s.

image.png.181d4a90915d17c2c912f95a86fe07e8.png

How do they compare in performance?? Etc.. Feel, recoil impulse , dot movement 

6 minutes ago, Furrly said:

How do they compare in performance?? Etc.. Feel, recoil impulse , dot movement 

Haven't gotten that far yet :)

Once I get the load dialed in to a safe (168-172'ish) PF range, I test for accuracy and function, using several different projectiles.  After I've narrowed it down to 1 or 2 projectiles and powders, I'll load a few hundred of each and test for feel, dot bounce, etc.

It takes a little bit of time, however leaves me assured that I've tested the most relevant combinations and have identified which works best for me and my pistol.  In general #7 and the lovex are similar in feel and powder charge.  WAC obviously requires less powder, however I haven't shot WAC back-to-back with either the #7 or lovex to see if one has a better feel than the other.  I've got a few months to sort through all of this before shooting season starts back up again here in PA.

Edited by muncie21