Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Akai 9mm Major

glockman75

Got the twins in March. I’ve had a great year shooting these blasters. I want everyone to know about these guns. They rock! I wish the folks at Akai the best and hope to promote a great product supported by good people.

I finished 16th in Open at Optics Nationals this year. Been shooting open for 2 years.

I shot in their contingency program and won a bunch of stuff and was united with other shooters across the country. It was fun being part of something.

Also met all of their team shooters and learned a lot about tuning the guns, powder selection, bullet choices, springs etc. Thanks guys!

75ef28469051577146645bd2819c632a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, glockman75 said:

Got the twins in March. I’ve had a great year shooting these blasters. I want everyone to know about these guns. They rock! I wish the folks at Akai the best and hope to promote a great product supported by good people.

I finished 16th in Open at Optics Nationals this year. Been shooting open for 2 years.

I shot in their contingency program and won a bunch of stuff and was united with other shooters across the country. It was fun being part of something.

Also met all of their team shooters and learned a lot about tuning the guns, powder selection, bullet choices, springs etc. Thanks guys!

75ef28469051577146645bd2819c632a.jpg

Absolutely beautiful!!! Drooling!!! 

Could you give specific about the build, pros and cons.. I'm looking to get into open this coming year and akai is one of my contenders as my top blaster. 

Thanks 

I started shooting Open in May of this year, made B class and won some Contingency money through the Akai program. I ordered a Limited gun instead of a 2nd Open. I am hoping to win enough to help fund the backup Open gun next season. I did a full size open gun as I like a heavier gun. But Akai make great stuff!!! 

Edited by TRPOperator

4 hours ago, glockman75 said:

Do you mind sharing what you learned from those guys? I also run an Akai in 9 major and I don't have a lot of info about it in regards to what you've mentioned above. In fact, I had to learn about cutting a coil off the recoil spring from a podcast since it's a stroked gun.

Absolutely beautiful!!! Drooling!!! 

Could you give specific about the build, pros and cons.. I'm looking to get into open this coming year and akai is one of my contenders as my top blaster. 

Thanks 

I think the ultimate build is:

4.5” slide, 5” barrel, stroked, long heavy dust cover, tungsten sleeved barrel (currently have regular bull barrel but next Gun will be tungsten sleeved), Steel old school comp (next one will be titanium old school comp), thumb rest (type personal pref, I like Nitro fin), safeties (personal pref, I like double taps).

Dot: Leupold DPP

Grip: PT Evo

Magwell: Dawson Ice Aluminum

Trigger: (Personal pref) Infinity Flat short for me.

Recoil spring: 7lbs Wolff variable cut 3 coils.

Shock buff: (3) Aluminum for stroked gun.

55 minutes ago, d_striker said:

You crushed it this year.

I currently have a pretty much identical build going right now with Shay.  Can you share your 9 major load?  

if you do not  mind sharing, what time frame on the build are they giving you

59 minutes ago, Furrly said:

if you do not  mind sharing, what time frame on the build are they giving you

I placed my order about a month ago.  Shay happened to have a gun that was already half built that happened to be what I was looking for which is what Glockman75 posted in his OP.  He said it might be around two months.  Who knows though.  Seemed like they got pretty busy right after Nationals.

It was a good year!

Current 9mm load is this:
124 JHP 9.7 AA7 1.165 CCI SPP

Akai wait time depends on what they’ve got in the oven so to speak.
I think normal build time is 8 months, if they’ve got something in the hopper maybe 4-6 months.
I think it took 8 months for my twins order but they were 100% custom.
I’m not sure what kind of back log they have. They have some sweet enhancements that make their guns return fast and shoot flat.
I whole heartedly recommend them.

Do you mind sharing what you learned from those guys? I also run an Akai in 9 major and I don't have a lot of info about it in regards to what you've mentioned above. In fact, I had to learn about cutting a coil off the recoil spring from a podcast since it's a stroked gun.

I learned that the team guys are pushing the limits of everything. They test the guns looking for any mechanical advantage. They cut recoil and main springs until the point of failure then try again. I learned that it feels softer the lighter the recoil spring and the less coils it has, until it no longer functions.
I’m using a 7 lbs variable with 3 coils cut and 3 aluminum shock buffs (since I have a stroked gun) thanks to their testing. It shoots great. Also switched from WAC to AA7 per their input.

14 hours ago, glockman75 said:

I’m using a 7 lbs variable with 3 coils cut and 3 aluminum shock buffs (since I have a stroked gun) thanks to their testing. It shoots great. Also switched from WAC to AA7 per their input.

Why the shock buffs? Wouldn't that essentially negate the stroking?

14 hours ago, glockman75 said:

I learned that the team guys are pushing the limits of everything. They test the guns looking for any mechanical advantage. They cut recoil and main springs until the point of failure then try again. I learned that it feels softer the lighter the recoil spring and the less coils it has, until it no longer functions.

Thanks for sharing what you have learned.  Curious about the recoil spring. How does cutting 3 coils off a 7# variable compare to a 6# or 5# variable spring?  How often do you have to change these?

glockman75 I will have to try the shock buffs.

17 minutes ago, Balakay said:

Thanks for sharing what you have learned.  Curious about the recoil spring. How does cutting 3 coils off a 7# variable compare to a 6# or 5# variable spring?  How often do you have to change these?

I also run a cut 7# variable. part of the reason to cut them is to make sure you get the full slide motion and it is not stopping at the compression of the spring. By cutting it I am sure you are also lowering the #, but its more about the "shortening" of the spring that will also cycle the gun to get the maximum slide travel. Most people try from around 6# up to 9# or so, mine would either dip or not come back to where I wanted it, but the 7# worked great. I change my recoil and firing pin spring about every 5K rounds. Change my main spring around 10K or so. 

15 hours ago, glockman75 said:

It was a good year!

Current 9mm load is this:
124 JHP 9.7 AA7 1.165 CCI SPP

What PF you getting out of that load?

I run

124 PD JHP, 1.165, 9.4 AA7, Fed MagPistol,  and get around 175 PF

I am running a full length gun though so I have a little more barrel. 

1 hour ago, chrisstophere said:

Why the shock buffs? Wouldn't that essentially negate the stroking?

Yes, they negate the stroking.  But if you start with a stroked gun and clipped recoil spring you then can experiment with 0 to 5 shock buffs.  The buffs will change how the recoil feels and how the dot lifts.  Some like a slow rising dot that is trackable and some like rapid less trackable dot rise but also faster returning.

What PF you getting out of that load?
I run
124 PD JHP, 1.165, 9.4 AA7, Fed MagPistol,  and get around 175 PF
I am running a full length gun though so I have a little more barrel. 

I’m getting 169 PF ish

12 hours ago, glockman75 said:

I’m getting 169 PF ish

Thanks, I am sure you tried and I have heard lots others say that sometimes higher PF have less dot movement from gas. I didn't really see much of a diff on mine, but at my level I might not see it. I run it at 175 because that it was felt good to me and the PF wasnt to crazy. So I am guessing your load is the same for you, based on movement and feel etc.?