Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 handloads for ported 5in barrel?

HammerFired

I have a ported barrel in my Atlas custom 2011 and I’m looking for a handload to take advantage of the ports. The porting works really well using Winchester white box 180gr chronoing at average 1020fps. The wwb has less felt recoil than my n320 limited load. I’ve tried power pistol but that seems harsh, no matter what pistol I’ve tried it in.

Do you think I need a slower powder than power pistol? Any other suggestions?

Slower powders in a comp gun provide more gas to work the comp. I don't have any experience with a ported barrel, but I would think that a slower powder would provide more gas to the popple holes. I would try something slower than N320 and see what happens. Maybe try LongShot. 

• 2 weeks later...

More gas works the comp.  There is a happy medium where the load works well with the comp/ports.  Too much gas exiting directly out the front causes more felt recoil.

Too little gas generated overall renders the comp/ports pointless.   Test to see where that is.  What works best is very subjective, since it is your pistol and your preference.

On 11/27/2018 at 6:58 PM, HammerFired said:

It must be closer to a compensator than you would think.

It is not like a compensator at all.  A comp has chambers with baffles in between.  Gas hits the baffles and pushes the gun forward, reducing recoil.  Ports don't have baffles.  The only thing they do is make the gun shoot flatter.  It will also make the gun shoot a little softer, because there is less gas jetting out the front of the barrel.

The white box load is not going anywhere close to 1020fps in your gun.  The reason is the gas the ports bled off.  Try actually chronoing it at 10' and see what you get.