Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who is in your "Mt. Rushmore of shooting"? Need some opinions!

Jcgatus

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone, I have a college assignment that requires some public opinions. I need to make a video, a really good video on a sport and it's most dominant athletes.

I obviously chose practical shooting. I was doing researches on this topic in the forums and there was quite a few. They were mainly discussing previous national and world shoot winners. However, I would like to know who the public thinks deserve their spot on a mt. Rushmore of shooting if they ever built one.

Also, who do you put in your top 3 for each division? And why? I would like to share the video with yall once its finished!

Thank yall

Ray Chapman, Jeff Cooper, Jack Weaver.

Jeff Cooper for obvious reasons. Jack Weaver for being the guy who decided to win matches by actually using both hands on the revolver and, yes and the sights. Ray Chapman for pioneering SWCPL and such. These guys were all making advances for LE and civilians, through competition and its crucible in the 50s!

Are you trying to measure greatness of performance or influence on the course of the sport?  Those things often overlap, but the latter criteria would result in the authors of influential books or training schools getting a leg up versus people who were their competitive equal.

if you want to break it down to 3 I would probably go with 

TGO 30 years at the top of the game in varied divisions and multiple disciplines 

Eric Grauffel, Hands down, the most dominate IPSC competitor in the last 20 yr 

After the top 2 guys there is a large step down, there are many very, very good shooters that are at the top for a time some even a long time but nobody seems to have the dominance or duration of the top 2 guys 

I would probably have to give Max third for duration at the top

Thanks yall! So I would put Jeff Cooper up there but the main theme is dominance. I know he created the sport but man... Rob Leatham dominated the single stack for about a decade, same way Jerry Miculek was untouchable in the revolver side. Speaking of Jerry, he is easily top 4 not only for pistol reasons but for his 3 gun resume and world speed records.

So far, there is my two. My 3rd is Eric Grauffel with 8 world shoot titles. Being dominant at the biggest stage available in shooting easily puts you at top 4. However, JJ, Max, Kc, Tilley, and more are not done yet so we shall see if they can catch up Erics gold count.

The fourth may raise some brows but why not?!  Daniel Horner. With 10 national chamionships, the man is a robot.

Hands down Jeff Cooper is #1

Jeff Cooper, he is the literary father of modern practical shooting, he brought it to light and was the driving force in the founding of the organization that actually tested the theories and equipment of practical shooting not tactics but shooting skills.  Without Jeff's pluck and drive we may never have had the means to effectively test what equipment was the best or who could handle them the best.

#2 would be TGO Rob Leatham, as a competitor he has been the dominant force for 4 decades, and doesn't look like he is slowing down much.  Also he's won virtually every handgun division including Revolver but excluding CO.  He's done so at the national and world level.  Even fought through injury to win a World Shoot.

#3a Jerry Miculek would come to mind as he spans being dominant in Revolvers to Multi-Gun, he was never a dominant semi-auto shooter in hand guns but totally dominated Revolvers for 4 decades.  His progeny is also blazing a track in the sport, so his legacy will live on.

I'm just not sure he is the best for Rushmore though, and I'd say since it is Rushmore I'd like to keep it American.

#3b Jack Weaver pioneered the 2 hand hold weaver stance.  But it was Jeff Cooper who dissected it and put practice into theory and opened the door to what is.

But since we have the premier theorist in Jeff Cooper, the dominant Practitioner in Rob Leatham I'd think we need a prominent or innovative Technician (Gun Smith).

#3c Swenson, Pachmayr, Wilson, Baer, Brown...?  I'd probably recommend Bill Wilson, he may not have been the most inventive, innovative or the first but he brought the art of producing Premium Practical Firearms into the main stream and made them both competitive and available.

Edited by pskys2

Tough answer as there are a dozen ways to qualify "Top" or "Most Dominant".  But if we put all of the top shooters in the world in a 30 stage match together, each at their "peak", who would win?

I would guess:

Open: Eric, Max, JJ

Limited/Standard: Eric, Rob, Nils or Shane

Production: Eric, Ben, Dave Sevigny

Revolver: Jerry M.

SS/Classic: Eric, Rob, Hetherington

If you take the guys that show up multiple times, it's definitely Eric and Rob.  Tough call on the third.  I suppose Todd Jarret belongs in there somewhere too.  Tough call.

Edited by d_striker

2 hours ago, d_striker said:

Tough answer as there are a dozen ways to qualify "Top" or "Most Dominant".  But if we put all of the top shooters in the world in a 30 stage match together, each at their "peak", who would win?

I would guess:

Open: Eric, Max, JJ

Limited/Standard: Eric, Rob, Nils or Shane

Production: Eric, Ben, Dave Sevigny

Revolver: Jerry M.

SS/Classic: Eric, Rob, Hetherington

If you take the guys that show up multiple times, it's definitely Eric and Rob.  Tough call on the third.  I suppose Todd Jarret belongs in there somewhere too.  Tough call.

Awesome list! 

1 hour ago, Steve RA said:

If we are only going for best shooters then I'd go Robbie, Jerry M and Eric.  Cooper, Weaver, Etc would be in a different category.

I definitely agree. These guys are the creators, the pioneers of the sport. 

Apples and oranges, Michael Jordan to a Jerry West.

9 hours ago, ATLDave said:

Are you trying to measure greatness of performance or influence on the course of the sport?  Those things often overlap, but the latter criteria would result in the authors of influential books or training schools getting a leg up versus people who were their competitive equal.

Im more so compiling the most dominant shooters in the sport. Not the innovators and pioneers. Although, I would like to do a list later on filled with those names, but im mainly putting together names of dominance in a sport.

TGO and Todd Jarret have won across the most divisions, then Eric G then either Sevegny or Nils.  These are the best USPSA shooters in my mind.  Max only wins with a dot, Stegger only wins production, Jerry only wins revolver. While great shooters, they haven't won across divisions at the highest levels. When I say wins I am talking nationals.

If talking 3 gun, a case could be made for Horner or Jerry being the best ever, 

Bianchi, it is Koenig and Piatt.

Then there is David Tubb and i cant remember that other guy's name in High Power rifle (Bernoski maybe?)

Bob Munden in quickdraw

IDK in Cowboy action

Then there is trap, skeet , pistol bullseye, biatholon, ISHMSA, etc,ect.  And there are dominate shooters in all those, but i figure we are mainly talking USPSA and pistols

Edited by RJH