Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open pistol length opinions

vgdvc

Hello. Never owned an open pistol before and would be planning to shoot major in USPSA open division, possibly .38super. I am coming from Limited major and would like to know if anyone has opinions on length of barrel/slide and characteristics of the shorter versus a 5 inch. Specifically if anyone has any opinions of the Brazos Pro Series SX versus the Pro Series 5 inch. Thanks.

There was a thread recently that went into this. What seemed to be the quasi consensus was:

Shorter guns transition and point more easily. Longer guns are softer and can be flatter. Shorties require firmer grip but can be really driven around easily.

The gap between the two has closed significantly with metal grips and titanium comps which all move the center of mass closer to the trigger finger and give less of a feeling of a lot of weight hanging out there. A PT Evo grip is going to far outweigh an extra .4" of barrel/slide. Also, the dust cover length and thickness is another variable that a lot of gun makers like to play around with.

The best advice seems to be to hold different styles of guns to see which you prefer. But also realize that practice will probably nullify most of the differences when actually in play.

Me? I'm going full length. Bc it's always easier to go shorter than to go longer. (Well, sort of)