Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Franchi Affinity bolt release removal?

regor

Hi all, I'm hoping someone here can help me with a disassembly issue I am having. 

I recently picked up a Franchi Affinity with the intention of opening up the loading port a bit and adding an extended magazine tube to use it in 3gun, but I've run into an issue with getting the factory bolt release/carrier latch out of the frame. I've punched the roll pin out and removed the spring, but the bolt release is too large to fit through the hole in the receiver and it doesn't seem to be screwed in or want to be pulled out. It looks like the older versions of this shotgun did not have this enlarged bolt release and would just slide right out once the roll pin was removed. Does anyone know how to get it out with the newer version? Am I just going to need to do the dremel work with it still in? 

Thanks

IMG_0329 (1).JPG

IMG_0332 (1).JPG

IMG_0333 (1).JPG

• 1 month later...

I have the original Affinity and had to tap and install an oversized button myself, but now I’m sort of glad I did. That is quite the conundrum. It has to come out somehow. Is it possible the button itself is threaded onto the unit from the outside? That doesn’t seem right because usually that tiny weld will break and the whole barrel extension part that the button mounts to will begin to spin. However it must come off somehow to get the unit out of the receiver, otherwise how did it get in? Lol that’s crazy I’m really looking forward to seeing how this works out. Maybe you pull the button straight off while the roll pin is still holding the assembly in place, then take the roll pin out and remove the assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all, I'm hoping someone here can help me with a disassembly issue I am having. 

I recently picked up a Franchi Affinity with the intention of opening up the loading port a bit and adding an extended magazine tube to use it in 3gun, but I've run into an issue with getting the factory bolt release/carrier latch out of the frame. I've punched the roll pin out and removed the spring, but the bolt release is too large to fit through the hole in the receiver and it doesn't seem to be screwed in or want to be pulled out. It looks like the older versions of this shotgun did not have this enlarged bolt release and would just slide right out once the roll pin was removed. Does anyone know how to get it out with the newer version? Am I just going to need to do the dremel work with it still in? 

Thanks

1333284305_IMG_0329(1).JPG.822344f567c3e69e71fcb48f97d85422.JPG
191246937_IMG_0332(1).JPG.81f2ebb15254260b09baa016029aa323.JPG
872224765_IMG_0333(1).JPG.53d5aca3beb8cef67b69541c46738b4d.JPG

Hey have you figured this out? I can’t find any info online about it

6 hours ago, Mercs said:

Hey have you figured this out? I can’t find any info online about it

Mercs, no, I never figured out how to remove it and I was never able to get in touch with Franchi customer support about it. As best I can tell it's not designed to come out, which is odd because these newer models with the larger bolt release and charging handle are clearly designed to cater towards the competition crowd. I ended up just taping it in against the inside of the receiver, which worked fine. I just needed extra care when working on the corner where the bolt release is to make sure I didn't unintentionally grind down the bit that retains the shells in the magazine tube. 

I've done two rounds of rough dremel work and some light sanding to smooth major bumps and it's made a big difference. Below is where I'm at currently, with the TTI lifter installed. I'm still deciding if I should go back for a third round of cuts or if I should just go in and smooth everything out and give it a good polish. I don't have a ton more room to cut down on the left side before I start risking cutting too much away for the bolt release roll pin to really hold in; I guess I could do just the part in front of the roll pin. I'm also apprehensive about cutting further forward because I'm barely touching the threads at the top of the arc (you can just make it out in the second and third pictures) and want to avoid messing up the threads, but I still can't consistently get the second shell in without having to push my thumb in a little, so I may need to work on that area a little bit more. 

If you cut a sufficient amount away you will need to trim the roll pin to keep it from blocking the bolt from cycling. I didn't need to after my first round of cuts but I did on the second. I just switched my dremel bit to a flat disc and ground it down bit by bit and then rounded the edges and tapped it back in, repeating until the bolt would cycle when the pin was flush. I also noticed that the dremel bit liked to get sucked into the roll pin hole when cutting. You can see the little dip there on mine. It's not a functional issue since it's shallow enough for my thumb to glide right over, but if you care about it looking pretty you'll want to be careful in that area. 

73688436_IMG_0485(1).JPG.5b1a3ebc77d709d1c5e30d2b3bd81adf.JPG

1619467388_IMG_0484(1).JPG.f22ab6f4019e4d035b07a5610985a3ae.JPG706679731_IMG_0483(1).jpg.18cc441e9fb94a0a80b01dff058c68bd.jpg

IMG_0482 (1).JPG

Not bad at all! Is that your first time doing it yourself? I have done many things to my firearms but this still scares me. I wouldn’t go any more forward yet, you can always remove more later. Maybe polish it up and give it a go first

@Mercs, yes, this was my first time doing this. I was nervous about it but I love doing my own work on my guns and I really wanted to do this myself. I just took it super slow at first, my first round of cuts was very conservative, second round I was much more confident and took a lot more off. I'm happy with how it turned out except for the two bugger marks from the dremel bit walking when I was using it at a weird angle but I suspect it will get plenty scratched up once I start using it in matches, so I'm not too worried. 

@Heatstroke18, sorry for the super late reply, I just noticed your reply lost in between the two picture heavy comments. I haven't actually installed an extension yet. I think I'm going to go with an MOA Precision kit. My understanding is the Franchis can use Benelli M2 kits, but I'd rather stick with something that was made for it. Not sure if I'll go +6 or +7. My Affinity is a 28" btw. https://moaprecisionllc.com/product/magazine-extension-deluxe-kit-franchi-affinity/#configuration

• 4 months later...

The bolt release button is screwed on.  Protect it with masking tape, grip it good with pliars, and unscrew it.

I did this when opening up the loading port on my Affinity.

@regor - what size tube did you go with?

I went with MOAs +6 which is just short of the 28" barrel.  The gun is plenty long as it is and I didn't want to make it even longer, plus I don't want to catch the tube on something and break or bend it.  Also MOA makes a +2 end cap that can be added when really needed.

10 hours ago, INWdad said:

The bolt release button is screwed on.  Protect it with masking tape, grip it good with pliars, and unscrew it.

Good to know for the future if I need to do a deep clean and hopefully this can help someone else. 

10 hours ago, INWdad said:

@regor - what size tube did you go with?

I went with MOAs +6 which is just short of the 28" barrel.  The gun is plenty long as it is and I didn't want to make it even longer, plus I don't want to catch the tube on something and break or bend it.  Also MOA makes a +2 end cap that can be added when really needed.

I went with MOA's +8 tube. I have a 28" barrel, it sticks out a couple inches but nothing major. I wanted total capacity of 12 so an early quad load is always an option. I'll post a photo when I get a chance

As promised. 28" barrel with MOA +8 mag extension. Barely fits in my safe but it swings pretty well. I'm much more used to shooting 30-32" O/Us, so I don't find it bad at all. 

IMG_0860.thumb.jpg.c4b3afc41d0b23639c0da0c2a0b06d41.jpg

Very nice!  After I get used to the extra weight of shells filling my tube I'll probably add a +2 cap.  Still trying to adjust after decades of only 2+1 for bird hunting.

Like you mentioned before, I opened the port right up to the tube threads and am afraid to go further.

IMG_20190517_073816183-780x1040.jpg

• 3 years later...