Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Ambi Safety for STI 2011???

Gcarr

29 minutes ago, GringoBandito said:

Because I have big hands and the right hand safety would dig into it and prevent me from gripping the gun very high. Once I replaced the safety, I was able to grip the gun about a 1/4 (if not more) inch higher which gave me a better grip and control of the gun. 

I see. Everybody's body mechanics and shapes are different. Good thing we have choices for different needs, thanks for the response.

A vote for none of the above,,, Have ZERO use or desire for an ambi safety,, they are exposed and more likely to get flipped down while holster. They are in the way and more likely to get flipped UP with your hand while shooting.
No stage can require u to draw with your week hand so any left hand engagements are almost always transferred from right hand.  In fact have NEVER seen any stage where a ambi safety was the least bit beneficial, and lots were it was detrimental.
If I was left handed I would still figure out a way for a right side  only safety.

3 hours ago, Joe4d said:

A vote for none of the above,,, Have ZERO use or desire for an ambi safety,,

Amen to that.  Literally just got done fitting a single-sided safety to my SV,, as the right side ambi dug into the knuckle of my strong (right) hand.

I saw mention of the weak side safety getting flipped up while shooting. All the 1911/2011 guns I own I ride the top of the safety with my thumb which would make this impossible. Is this not the norm? Perhaps those with smaller hands can’t reach or grip that way. I’m curious as to who else does this. 

Are you a Lefty?  As a lefty you have to have ambi, and very few have large on right side, SV does, typically they put the Tactical length on right side, not enough volume to rest thumb on.  and the shielded safety are not to keep you from getting bit, but to keep those who ride their hand high from slowing down the slide and causing malfunctions.  When you are running fast you will not even be aware that your thumb is riding the slide.  I had several malfunctions in one match early in my shooting life, and an older wiser RO pointed that out to me.  And I realized my training had recently had me push my grip up higher.

On 12/6/2018 at 5:18 PM, Joe4d said:

A vote for none of the above,,, Have ZERO use or desire for an ambi safety,, they are exposed and more likely to get flipped down while holster. They are in the way and more likely to get flipped UP with your hand while shooting.
No stage can require u to draw with your week hand so any left hand engagements are almost always transferred from right hand.  In fact have NEVER seen any stage where a ambi safety was the least bit beneficial, and lots were it was detrimental.
If I was left handed I would still figure out a way for a right side  only safety.

I was on this boat, until during a weak hand required string my knuckle bumped the safety up.    Now I run ambi that is heavily modified on the right side to fit my hand during normal freestyle, but is still enough to ride my thumb on during weak hand only.