Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Ambi Safety for STI 2011???

Gcarr

I am new to the 2011 platform and I am not sure which safety I should order. The gun came with only a single sided safety. I would like an ambi and one that is a little wider. Any and all suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated... Thank you

Edited by Gcarr

Lone star innovations makes a nice ambi safety, I had a tactical wide that was very nice. Iirc I got it on speed shooters website. There are several others, I have medium sized hands and the wide portion was perfect for resting my thumb.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, jswhitesell619 said:

Shielded safeties are another option as well. Phoenix trinity and limcat make really nice options for those as well

I think the shielded safeties look cool, but I've never used one and have never been bit by the rear of the slide.  It appears to me, if you use one, you limited yourself to only being able to grab the front of the slide to rack it......

I like shielded. The new Limcat safeties are really nice. By the way, I can rack my slide from the rear of both of my guns that have shielded safeties. Whatever you get I would recommend a wide safety as a minimum. 

47 minutes ago, Gcarr said:

Good information... thank y'all for that. Seems there are a lot (maybe too many) options. I was kinda hoping there was a general consensus that a particular one would be the one to get ... 

That is a tough one. It took me a long time to figure out what I wanted due to my hand shape and size. The biggest thing I learned was that when I removed the ambi safety, I gained much more control of the gun and was more accurate. 

On 11/25/2018 at 10:39 PM, Gcarr said:

I was kinda hoping there was a general consensus that a particular one would be the one to get ... 

Yeah, right.  The best advice is to buy a major name brand safety that was cut from billet or bar stock.  You definitely do not want a MIM safety.  Having used an SVI safety, I would not do so again.  I love the sleeve on the EGW ambi.  I have them in two guns now, and two more going in the two I'm building.

On 11/25/2018 at 8:39 PM, Gcarr said:

I was kinda hoping there was a general consensus that a particular one would be the one to get ... 

it's whatever you prefer. We had to pay *extra* to have single-sided safeties on our new gun, but it was worth it.

EGW and SV are both good choices.  The Lone Star looks good too, but I’ve never seen one on a gun so can’t say for sure.  The nice thing about an extra wide like the SV is you never have to worry about dropping the mag on a table start stage.  

Thanks for the sharing. I think I'll get my hands on a few guns with some of the different options and see which feels right. My CZs all came with the wider style safeties when I got them... as I refined my grip I started putting the flat smooth safeties on them to get a higher grip. As I learn to handle this gun... I guess it's possible that I might already have what I need. I don't ride my thumb on the safety like I used to. Hopefully a little time will tell me where I need/want to be. Thanks again for sharing...

On 12/2/2018 at 8:38 PM, scooterj said:

CKARMS has a new shielded ambi that is machined from 416 SS. 

Ooh I hadn't seen this in my searching. It looks exactly like what I've been wanting and at a pretty nice price too. Thanks. 

On 11/25/2018 at 11:29 PM, GringoBandito said:

That is a tough one. It took me a long time to figure out what I wanted due to my hand shape and size. The biggest thing I learned was that when I removed the ambi safety, I gained much more control of the gun and was more accurate. 

Why do you think that is?

24 minutes ago, vgdvc said:

Why do you think that is?

Because I have big hands and the right hand safety would dig into it and prevent me from gripping the gun very high. Once I replaced the safety, I was able to grip the gun about a 1/4 (if not more) inch higher which gave me a better grip and control of the gun. 

Edited by GringoBandito