Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Coming out with New Sights ?

aalbert

Ordered a P320 X5 the other day, and the distributor told the dealer that a  new version was coming out early next year with new sights, and would we like to wait for it... Since it is a XMAS gift for my 13 (going on 14yr) old son, I didn't want to wait - but it has me curious does anybody know what the change is?

I used to shoot with Dawson (and Sheryl/Virgil Tripp, Dave Skinner, Benny Hill, etc) at club level when I lived in Austin in the early 90s, so I am honestly fine with anything from Dawson from a personal/historical standpoint (though after reading threads here I have already purchased a .205x.90 front sight to replace the factory unit with, since by all accounts it is too tall) - but as always am interested in what I passed up on. 

PS based on what I have read here, I have also already ordered a Springer guide rod and 13/14 lbs springs to replace the factory units, as I want to make this as creampuff and possible for him.

3 hours ago, JAFO said:

I think they are changing the slide cut to match the M17 (which is sized for a DPP).

This would be awesome as I have a spare DPP and want to get a spare X-Five in the near future. Fingers crossed!

8 hours ago, Manwithnoname said:

Funny, I just had my slide milled to accept the dpp. Got tired of Romeo 1. 

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but what didn't you like about the Romeo1? I just ordered one, but haven't installed it yet (I am waiting for the metal shroud to arrive).

Jumping in the op

I didn't like the 3moa dot, it's not bright enough in the sun.

6moa is great, I'm switching to them one buy one.

I have not had it on the top setting yet.

And have shot on a couple of bright days that my cmore's and DPP have had to be all the way up to see them.

Romeo 1 6 moa is the best I've found so far.

1 hour ago, jcc7x7 said:

Jumping in the op

I didn't like the 3moa dot, it's not bright enough in the sun.

6moa is great, I'm switching to them one buy one.

I have not had it on the top setting yet.

And have shot on a couple of bright days that my cmore's and DPP have had to be all the way up to see them.

Romeo 1 6 moa is the best I've found so far.

I had had the same problem.  I like the Romeo, but wish the glass was larger 

On 11/28/2018 at 7:21 AM, Doublehelix said:

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but what didn't you like about the Romeo1? I just ordered one, but haven't installed it yet (I am waiting for the metal shroud to arrive).

The 3 moa wasn’t bright enough unless shooting indoors. The 6 moa seems too dim or too bright and I would end up looking at the dot and not the target. I have an astigmatism, and the 6 moa dot looks like a patato and fuzzy. Also I stripped the top cover trying to tighten the cap down and the treads on the cap are very easy to strip. The DPP works best with my eyes and seems more robust overall. Last week the 3 moa completely died on me and I have an RMA to send it in. 

10 hours ago, Manwithnoname said:

The 3 moa wasn’t bright enough unless shooting indoors. The 6 moa seems too dim or too bright and I would end up looking at the dot and not the target. I have an astigmatism, and the 6 moa dot looks like a patato and fuzzy. Also I stripped the top cover trying to tighten the cap down and the treads on the cap are very easy to strip. The DPP works best with my eyes and seems more robust overall. Last week the 3 moa completely died on me and I have an RMA to send it in. 

Just curious... Which dot did you get with the DPP? The smaller 2.5 MOA dot, or the larger 7.5 MOA triangle? I have heard some that love the triangle reticle and others that hate it.

5 hours ago, Doublehelix said:

Just curious... Which dot did you get with the DPP? The smaller 2.5 MOA dot, or the larger 7.5 MOA triangle? I have heard some that love the triangle reticle and others that hate it.

I have never tried the triangle. For me with an astigmatism, the smallest dot possible with the brightest setting works best. Larger dots look misshaped and I look at the big glowing thing bouncing up and down.

6 hours ago, Doublehelix said:

Two guys with triangle DPPs have switched to the 2.5 dot after shooting mine. Fully turned up, it looks like a 6-8 even on a bright day.

Turn it down a notch or two, and it’s super precise for a stage full of tiny distant things.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I thought I'd like the 2.5 dot better as I shoot a lot of accuracy games, but it sunbursts for me as I have mild astigmatism, which makes it hard to see the exact aiming point.  Conversely, the 7.5 triangle is very clear and well defined.  I zero at 50 yds with the apex of the triangle at POI, and I'm good with using the entire triangle from 25 and in.  For reflex optics, your vision has a big part in what you actually see, and it's going to be different for everyone.  

Edited by Vizorn

On 11/25/2018 at 1:52 AM, aalbert said:

Ordered a P320 X5 the other day, and the distributor told the dealer that a  new version was coming out early next year with new sights, and would we like to wait for it... Since it is a XMAS gift for my 13 (going on 14yr) old son, I didn't want to wait - but it has me curious does anybody know what the change is?

The rumor mill indicates changes to the rear sight plate (and possibly a cut compatible for the DPP as rumored) - one thing is clear, remaining current X5 inventories are being blown out at a price more than a hundred dollars less than previous street price.

4 hours ago, aalbert said:

Yeah the RSR rep asked if we wanted to wait... but XMAS precluded that. Don't know if Wholesale pricing also dropped, or just street pricing to reduce inventories.

A few days ago, both the original (320x5-9-BAS) and the new one (320x5-9-BAS-R2) were listed at the same price.  Today, the price of the original has dropped by $20.

I wonder if different people have issue with red color dots in general.  I’ve used Romeo1’s in matches under Arizona sun with no issues, and never had to bump it past 2 notches from maximum.  I do have to turn it down in indoor situations.  Red isn’t the best color for the human eye- green is ideal.  Eventually we will get green dots that are reliable and don’t kill batteries.  Current green leds tend to use 2.7 volts and run higher mA while most reds run 1.7.

Edited by Archer

8 minutes ago, aalbert said:

$610 had to be a mistake or backed by some serious need for cash, or a hell of an incentive plan from their distributor.

It was on sale for $675, plus a store wide 10% off holiday sale. 

On 12/3/2018 at 8:57 PM, aalbert said:

Received this today (via RSR to my dealer) .... Born on date late October 2018, so it looks to be one of the last generation 1.5 guns. 

How can you tell it's a 1.5 gen, beside the manufacture date?  Thanks.