Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Eggleston Munitions 147gr flat point

Eman

Hey guys, I wanted to give an update on these new flat point 147gr’ers from Eggleston Munitions. I just got about 1,500 of them from my local reloading shop (Kentuckiana Reloading). I just loaded up a 100 of them to try, but haven’t had a chance to shoot them yet. They look great, and the finish on them is really nice! 

Load is:

147gr flat point

3.0gr Hodgdon Titegroup

1.120 OAL

Gun:

Glock 34 gen 3 

Factory Polygonal barrel

If any of you have tried them already, I 

would like to hear your experience. I’ll update when I shoot them. 1.120 OAL may be just a tad too long for my Glock mags. 

Haven’t run 147’s but the 115’s (really 112-124’s)  are accurate and run great for open shooters.  The coating makes them feed better than jacketed for me and groups open up about 2” at 25 yards.  This may not be acceptable for majors but for practice and locals they are awesome and cheap.

theyre worth a try for any caliber from my experience

2 hours ago, chevrofreak said:

How does the base look on them?  I bought a bunch of their 115gr cone shaped bullets several years ago and some of the bases were very rough and jagged.  It made them difficult to seat without overbelling the case mouth. 

The base is smooth. I have shot their 115,124, and 147gr’ers and they all had that rough spot under the bullet from the mold. One of the reasons I posted this is because they recently got a new machine that makes the 147gr flat points.

the base is smooth and rounded, and the finish is much better than previously! 

https://www.egglestonmunitions.com/shop.html#!/9mm-147gr-Flat-Point-500-Count/p/121781018/category=10873433

this is what I bought. The finish is really shiny and smooth, and it looks great. Really durable. From my previous experience with them, they don’t have that smell that the blue bullets did with certain powder after shooting. 

2 hours ago, IDescribe said:

Eggleston uses the HiTek that almost everyone else uses. 

Blue Bullets has their own proprietary coating.

All will smell of not properly chued or if the coating is cut. 

Eggleston claims it is not HiTek, and I am inclined to agree. I do not get leading with Eggleston like I do with SNS. 

30 minutes ago, IDescribe said:

You dont get leading from the type of coating.  You get leading from poor bullet to barrel fit.   Some SNS come in sized like Blues at .3555, which is why I dont buy them. Too small. 

I don't mean the typical leading inside the barrel, I was seeing starburst shaped streaks of lead on the muzzle of my pistols, deposits sprayed on the bezel of my weapon light and lead on the baffles of my compensators.    I got that with SNS bullets using even slow burning powders.  I dont get that with Blue's or Egglestons. 

• 2 weeks later...

Range update:

I went and shot this bullet with titegroup, n320, and sport pistol. They all grouped decent at 10yrds. I realized the sweet spot with a g34 factory barrel for titegroup is in the 3.1-3.2gr range, and the sweet spot with sport pistol is 3.2gr. N320 was 3.1gr I think but it may be too close to sub minor.

all were at 1.125 OAL 

4 hours ago, Eman said:

Range update:

I went and shot this bullet with titegroup, n320, and sport pistol. They all grouped decent at 10yrds. I realized the sweet spot with a g34 factory barrel for titegroup is in the 3.1-3.2gr range, and the sweet spot with sport pistol is 3.2gr. N320 was 3.1gr I think but it may be too close to sub minor.

all were at 1.125 OAL 

Just wondering, for you what defines the "sweet spot"? Grouping, recoil or? Thanks.

59 minutes ago, Bench said:

Just wondering, for you what defines the "sweet spot"? Grouping, recoil or? Thanks.

I would say it is the accuracy and feel that creates the sweet spot for me. when I can get a 147gr  bullet to be soft and shoot good groups, it is a winner.

7 hours ago, Eman said:

They all grouped decent at 10yrds. 

I would not consider a 10 yard test to be adequate, for my guns and situation.

I would feel that at least 15 yards, and probably more like 20 yards, is the

minimum distance I would "test the accuracy" of a load.

I've had some pretty poor ammo "group decently at 10 yards, but fall apart at 20 yards.    :) 

Even my Kel-Tec P-11 groups well at 10 yard, but NOT at 20 yards.

Correct. 

I have two loads where Load A grouped better at 15 than Load B, but Load B grouped better at 25 because Load A was falling apart at 25 yards. 

You want to start accuracy testing close enough that your eyes aren't mucking up the test, but far enough away that you can truly see the diff between loads.  

BUT you want to finish accuracy testinf at the max distance you will shoot the load. 

On 12/4/2018 at 8:15 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

I would not consider a 10 yard test to be adequate, for my guns and situation.

I would feel that at least 15 yards, and probably more like 20 yards, is the

minimum distance I would "test the accuracy" of a load.

I've had some pretty poor ammo "group decently at 10 yards, but fall apart at 20 yards.    :) 

Even my Kel-Tec P-11 groups well at 10 yard, but NOT at 20 yards.

I understand. The reason I shoot 10 yards is because my rear sight is wide and at 25yrds my grouping wouldn’t be a good representation of the load. Too much human error at 25yrds for me.