Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm barrels

So who makes reasonably priced AR9 barrels that don't have a short throat like many of them seem to?  I don't want a barrel that's sensitive to OAL or bullet profile.  I'm looking for something 8-8.5" probably.  Any Black Friday sales on a barrel like this?  Thanks

12 hours ago, Southpaw said:

So who makes reasonably priced AR9 barrels that don't have a short throat like many of them seem to?  I don't want a barrel that's sensitive to OAL or bullet profile.  I'm looking for something 8-8.5" probably.  Any Black Friday sales on a barrel like this?  Thanks

The Faxon barrel havent had many problems.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-barrels-9mm-prod84495.aspx

18 hours ago, Southpaw said:

JP makes a damn nice barrel. We use ours as loaners at the matches we host. Folks run pretty much anything you can think of and it all runs well. In particular, the GMRs will eat long loaded 150+ grain bullets some other barrels aren't throated long enough to chamber. Basically if it fits in a Glock mag, it ships downrange!

Thanks for the replies, but I've tried Faxon and Kaw Valley barrels (Kaw Valley are made by Faxon) and they both had short throats.  Maybe they've changed their chamber dimensions in the past year or two, but don't really want to order one just to find out. 

I have a 16" JP barrel in my current PCC and it's great, but doesn't meet my "reasonably priced" requirement 😉.  I'm trying to just throw together an AR9 pistol pretty cheap just for fun, don't want to spend that much on the barrel for it.

I had looked at Wilson Arms barrels, but doesn't look like they make one in length I want; I'd prefer 8.5".  Maybe I'll give Faxon a try again since on sale at Brownells.  I see Brownells also has FM Products barrels even cheaper, anyone ever try one of those and know how the throat is?

Most AR9 barrels seem to be nitrided.  I've heard that can be hard to cut through if trying to ream the chamber?

Well I can now confirm that new Faxon barrels still have a short throat ☹️ so this barrel is getting returned to Brownells. 

Who has the best price on Shooting Innovations barrels?  Do they make an 8.5" one that doesn't have the ramp on it that requires a special bolt?

3 hours ago, Southpaw said:

Well I can now confirm that new Faxon barrels still have a short throat ☹️ so this barrel is getting returned to Brownells

Who has the best price on Shooting Innovations barrels?  Do they make an 8.5" one that doesn't have the ramp on it that requires a special bolt?

I plunk tested one at Rainer Arms with a long 124gr and a long 147gr the 147 just barely drug a little, and the 124 spun freely.

17 minutes ago, Startingover said:

I plunk tested one at Rainer Arms with a long 124gr and a long 147gr the 147 just barely drug a little, and the 124 spun freely.

Bullet profile also plays a big factor in whether it'll fit in a given chamber, not just OAL.  I'm sure plenty of ammo will fit a Faxon chamber fine, but it still has a short throat that won't work with other bullet profiles with a higher ogive.  I don't want a barrel that's picky on ammo and doesn't work with ammo that works in all my other guns.

44 minutes ago, chevrofreak said:

The ramp is why they are worth it.   I built an AR PDW and had to replace the barrel and bolt but I achieved 100% reliability with fat mouth 147gr HST's.  

I already have a bolt so not getting a barrel that requires a different one.  I'm just throwing this gun together since I won a lower at a match and already had a bunch of other spare parts like the bolt, so not looking to go crazy spending a ton building the most amazing gun ever.  I just want something that works and can chamber the ammo I normally load for everything else...you wouldn't think that'd be so hard to find, but apparently it is...

3 hours ago, Southpaw said:

Well I can now confirm that new Faxon barrels still have a short throat ☹️ so this barrel is getting returned to Brownells

All it requires is cutting the bottom by like .050” or something like that. You could probably file it by hand but machining it nicer.  It will still work in non-ramped barrels but once you go ramped you never go back. 

• 1 month later...

What's old is new again. If you want to spend more time shooting get the JP. No mods, no gimmicks the JP will eat it if is stamped 9mm and fits in a GLOCK mag. I trust my GMR's without question. 

PM me if you want help picking up a JP barrel. JP can cut and thread to 8.5" or shorter if you like.

So I wound up ordering an FM Products barrel from Brownells. It does not have a short throat and every bullet I tried plunked in it even some with high ogives. I have yet to try out and zero this new build yet so don't know how well the barrel actually shoots though.

Also, in case anyone cares, the barrel is listed as 8.5", but it's actually about 9.25". Just guessing, but I'd think maybe they're calling it 8.5" because it probably sticks out the same length from the upper as an 8.5" .223 barrel since 9mm barrels don't have barrel extensions like regular AR barrels. It still stuck out an appropriate amount from a 7" handguard so I didn't care.