Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester 572 Load Data

Napalmsticks

10 hours ago, Napalmsticks said:

I get the plunk noise and I'm able to spin the round in the chamber easily, but when I chamber a round with the barrel in the gun the round seems to lodge itself in the chamber.

I'm tempted to bump the powder up to 5.0 gr to see if I can get the SD to single digits. 

Sounds like The Plunk Test (TPT) is failing you ….   When you Plunk the round in the chamber,

it spins, BUT will it drop completely and freely out of the chamber by inverting the barrel ?

If 1.155" Passes TPT, it should NOT "lodge itself in the chamber".

If it passes The TPT, the round should NOT be touching the grooves/lands of the chamber/barrel.

You should be able to drop your OAL from 1.155" to 1.145" - see if that sticks in your chamber.

I wouldn't bump that load up - you're already up to  133 PF with your hottest load.

I'd resolve the issue of OAL before I attempted to increase the PF.    :) 

9 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Sounds like The Plunk Test (TPT) is failing you ….   When you Plunk the round in the chamber,

it spins, BUT will it drop completely and freely out of the chamber by inverting the barrel ?

If 1.155" Passes TPT, it should NOT "lodge itself in the chamber".

If it passes The TPT, the round should NOT be touching the grooves/lands of the chamber/barrel.

You should be able to drop your OAL from 1.155" to 1.145" - see if that sticks in your chamber.

I wouldn't bump that load up - you're already up to  133 PF with your hottest load.

I'd resolve the issue of OAL before I attempted to increase the PF.    :) 

Will do, I will check TPT again tonight. I'll shorten the OAL and work back up from 4.2 gr if needed.

Edited by Napalmsticks