Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reduce OAL or throat barrel

I recently bought a PSA PCC as a backup gun to my main Diamondback pcc.

the throat on the barrel is short and my 1.12 OAL loads hit the LANS and I cannot pull the charging handle to eject the last round.

I have a choice, either reduce my loads to 1.10 or less and adjust my powder load to account for the shorter OAL (the cheaper soluition)

OR, send the gun to my gunsmith and have him throat the barrel to allow me to use my 1.12 loads.

WHAT would you do?

Cut the chamber/leade.

You might think about buying a finishing reamer for a 9mm chamber, or pooling with other shooters to buy one of those and a throating reamer.  Short leades are extremely common, TOO COMMON, with 9mm firearms, and excessively tight chambers and short leades are relatively common in PCC barrels.  Finishing reamers run $75.

Cutting with a finishing reamer is a fast and easy job that can be done with a tap wrench and plenty of oil.

5 hours ago, mstamper said:

I recently bought a PSA PCC

Did you buy it used?  For the past year the PSA barrels have been cut with a long lead.  Look at the top of the barrel near the muzzle.  Is it marked "PCC"?  If so, it should be one of the newer barrels and should not give you a problem.  You might want to contact PSA and see what they recommend.

If its an older barrel, you may be on your own and finding a gunsmith willing to throat a nitrided barrel might be a bit tough.  1911Luvr may still have a carbide throater.  If so, he may be your best bet.

• 2 months later...
On 11/23/2018 at 5:24 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

If its an older barrel, you may be on your own and finding a gunsmith willing to throat a nitrided barrel might be a bit tough.  1911Luvr may still have a carbide throater.  If so, he may be your best bet.

I can cut it for you if you’d like. I have one of @1911luvr‘s carbide reamers which will do a Walther or a Shadow2 or any of the other impssible barrels that destory reamers. He currently doesn’t have any for sale.

Send me a PM if you want me to do it. :)

Edited by MemphisMechanic
2 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I can cut it for you if you’d like. I have one of @1911luvr‘s carbide reamers which will do a Walther or a Shadow2 or any of the other impssible barrels that destory reamers. He currently doesn’t have any for sale.

I have a couple of barrels, pcc that need to be tthroated.

Cut the chamber/leade.

You might think about buying a finishing reamer for a 9mm chamber, or pooling with other shooters to buy one of those and a throating reamer.  Short leades are extremely common, TOO COMMON, with 9mm firearms, and excessively tight chambers and short leades are relatively common in PCC barrels.  Finishing reamers run $75.

Cutting with a finishing reamer is a fast and easy job that can be done with a tap wrench and plenty of oil.

A $75 reamer will be made of high speed steel and will not do the job if you have a barrel coated in TiN, Melonite, etc. I know this because that’s what ultimately lead me to making my own carbide ones after destroying a HSS reamer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
22 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Props to @MemphisMechanic I had him cut a super-short CMMG Guard chamber for me. Excellent communication, custom-cut chamber to my ammo, very reasonable, and super-fast turn around time.

• 9 months later...

In another thread it is mentioned that PSA has a second generation barrel that fixes the short throats on their PCC's.  That may be true, but FYI, that is not the case with their current AR pattern 9mm pistol with 8" barrel.  At least not the one I received.  I already have the wheels in motion with the nice folks on this forum to help me out.  Just wanted to post this as an FYI.