Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who is/can do milling of 5.25 slides (not for optics)

MikeRussell

OK guys, I need some help here.

I want to get some additional slide lightening done on my 5.25 slide, besides the factory cut. I like the DV8 portal cut style, but sadly they do not do them on XDM slides (I asked).  I'm thinking window cuts, remove the front cocking serrations, maybe a couple of smaller lightening cuts near the recoil spring portion, and open to any other suggestions.

I'm looking for any and all suggestions on those that can do the work. I've got one of mine getting some frame work done right now, so I can go pick up its slide and send it off for work.

5 hours ago, RIIID said:

What are you hoping to gain by lightening the slide?

Rich

Most of the mass on a XDM is in the slide. I'm trying to get that reciprocating mass down a little. I've already added weight to the frame to counter it (with the exception of making an old tac light frame into a weight).

Also, honestly, the aesthetics is part of it...something to set it apart (besides running a XDM in Limited Major).

I found my notes, a 5.25 slide in .40 weighs 32 oz and a 9mm 29 oz. I took a 9mm slide and fitted a .40 barrel to it to see how it would handle with major and minor. Minor was fine but the major was too harsh even with a 5oz tungsten guide rod and stainless mag well. I tried 150, 165, and 180 grain loads, I didn't have any 200 or 220 grain bullets to test. I did take a .40 slide and took an ounce out of the back of the slide and it felt slightly better but when I took 1/2 oz out of the front it started to feel like the 9mm slide.

The .40 slide in 4.5 and 5.25 weight is the same,  with an ounce out of the back of the slide both felt good in major. In my opinion the XDm is doable for Limited major but will never be better than a high cap 1911 set up. 

Just remember once the metal comes off it can't be put back on easily($).

Rich

• 2 months later...