Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reaming Shadow Barrel

Smitty79

I have 3 Shadow uppers.   The barrels in the first 2 run my Acme 147 FPs at 1.13 just fine with at least 15 mils of distance to the rifling.   For the most recent one, I'm in the rifling before the case hits the end of the chamber.   I went to the gunsmith to get the rifling moved back so I can shoot the ammo that works in every other 9mm I own.   He says that he can make the chamber longer but can't just ream the rifling back some and he's concerned about head space.   Also, it seams if he's moving the chamber length, not the rifling, I'm just going to exacerbate the bullet contacting the rifling before the case hits the end of the chamber.   What do I do?

image.png.fd1ad0391ee6af0a2202c5eaba26a939.png

33 minutes ago, Smitty79 said:

I have 3 Shadow uppers.   The barrels in the first 2 run my Acme 147 FPs at 1.13 just fine with at least 15 mils of distance to the rifling.   For the most recent one, I'm in the rifling before the case hits the end of the chamber. 

That’s normally what happens when the ogive of the bullet hits the rifling before the case rim hits the front of the chamber, which is how 9mm is *supposed* to headspace.

33 minutes ago, Smitty79 said:

He says that he can make the chamber longer but can't just ream the rifling back some and he's concerned about head space.

Also, it seams if he's moving the chamber length, not the rifling.

Your suspicion is correct. You want a finishing reamer, which cuts the beginning of the rifling back further into the barrel. This lengthens the leade.

Your gunsmith has a reamer which will cut the shoulder the case contacts further back into the barrel. This would cause all manner of issues.

Sent you a PM.

9 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

You need a throater and a gunsmith who knows the difference between a throater and a chamber reamer.

I offered to cut his barrels and he’s sending them my way soon.

23 minutes ago, mveto said:

Just make sure that you don’t have a black melonited barrel, they will no longer ream them.

Mine’s carbide. It cuts melonite or hardened barrels like an M&P, Glock, or Walther just fine. The HSS Manson (Brownells) reamer I had didn’t hold up very well to them.

Does anyone know of a shop on the east(ish) side of the country that does it?  I contacted a couple of local "gunsmiths" and neither of them do it and one of them didn't even know what I was talking about.

Also, is this the right tool?  Brownells only seems to have this Clymer in stock. 

image.png.f7f8e155b0b063148b9fc8b705f5a463.png

On 11/21/2018 at 8:29 PM, clw42 said:

Does anyone know of a shop on the east(ish) side of the country that does it?  I contacted a couple of local "gunsmiths" and neither of them do it and one of them didn't even know what I was talking about.

Also, is this the right tool?  Brownells only seems to have this Clymer in stock. 

did you try Greg Derr?

I actually need to do this for my czechmate as well.  I called Patriot Defense this morning and was told that they were no longer doing it for CZ pistols because the coating used on CZ guns broke the reamer. Now I am looking for someone else. 

2 hours ago, cheby said:

I actually need to do this for my czechmate as well.  I called Patriot Defense this morning and was told that they were no longer doing it for CZ pistols because the coating used on CZ guns broke the reamer. Now I am looking for someone else. 

Bummer. The czechmate barrels are easy to cut but I couldn’t cut the shadow 2 barrels.

On 11/21/2018 at 7:29 PM, clw42 said:

I used this exact Clymer Throater for a couple shadows and my Czechmates. You will take more time setting up then you will turning the handle. The czechmate I had is a new one and I didn’t run into fighting coating on the barrels as some have. Good luck. 

7 hours ago, JHicks8h said:

I used this exact Clymer Throater for a couple shadows and my Czechmates. You will take more time setting up then you will turning the handle. The czechmate I had is a new one and I didn’t run into fighting coating on the barrels as some have. Good luck. 

Okay, thanks.  I have a new Czechmate as well.  I'd like to do my Shadow 2 also, but I hear those require the carbide throater.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...