Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When should I go to a big 3 gun match?

I'm 22 years old and I started shooting 3 gun about a year ago and in that time I have shot about 15 local matches. I'm at the point where I'm itching to go do something bigger and better in a big national multigun match, but I don't know which matches to look at. For example I feel that I shouldn't show up at the USPSA mulitgun Nationals and take last place on every stage and slow people down who are serious and trying to win. But, I do know of matches such as the Rock Castle Pro/Am which sounds perfect to me (I plan on going to that match in 2019). 

What matches would you recommend for me to do to move to the next level in 3 gun? Please note I'm located in central Indiana.

(Sorry if this is the wrong fourm for this post, I wasn't sure where it should go!)

Shot any matches you can afford to attend. Do not worry about being last or slowing the match down, all levels are there shooting and you will probably gain more experience from a bigger match than just local matches. 

I did a lot of underwhelming local matches, though here in the southeast, we have some awesome monthly matches.  I would jump feet first into a big match like at Rockcastle and that is a great place to go for sure.  I think you will learn a lot and be challenged more.  There is a thread about major matches here on benos.

If you bring a positive attitude and are a safe shooter no one will ever be upset with how much time you take or what place you get. Go to every major you can it will make you a better shooter. The best part is you will meet the coolest people and have a ton of fun. 

My first 3 gun match was the 2015 FNH in west Virginia, got my shotgun the week before the match, taught myself how to quad load a few days before and had the best time ever. Everyone was extremely helpful and happy I was there. 

Do it.

Don't feel bad going to a big match and not being one of the top shooters. If the big matches were only for the top shooters then 30-40 people would shoot the match and everyone else could sit and watch. Shooting sports is different than most other sports, any safe shooter can shoot the match. You're not going to see just anyone pay their fee and race in the Daytona 500, or play in the U.S. Open, you you can shoot right with the big pros in 3 gun.

I shot my 1st 3gun match in 2015 I was 16 and it was the Generation III Gun match. I had a blast! Mostly due to the fact I had some Great squad mates that helped me.

Shoot, have fun and learn.

I used to have the same thoughts than in I just decided I wanted to see where i stood with the so called “pro’s”. Truth be told, I was no where near there speed or accuracy but I really enjoyed my first big match. It was also a great opportunity for me to see other gear being ran by other shooters other than my local squad. In the end, you are there to compete at your level and with being safe and having fun you have already paid your due diligence by paying the match fee and attending. Everyone has to start somewhere. Get out there and shoot as many matches as you can!

I would suggest that the only pre-requisites are that you have accomplished a few things at other matches:

- finished multiple matches (5+) without a DQ

- have a plan as far as zoom/holdover/body position for 200yard rifle shots

- are prepared for a 40 round shotgun stage

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2018 at 1:05 PM, adamge said:

I would suggest that the only pre-requisites are that you have accomplished a few things at other matches:

- finished multiple matches (5+) without a DQ

- have a plan as far as zoom/holdover/body position for 200yard rifle shots

- are prepared for a 40 round shotgun stage

this.  i just shot my first major in dec at Hard as Hell and it's seriously the best people you'll meet at local matches that have a desire and willingness to travel for majors.

but my decision was based mostly on me feeling confident that after spending $1000 for travel, hotel, car rental, and match fees that i know my abilities and equipment so i'm not likely to do something stupid and DQ myself

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2019 at 8:30 PM, AustinT said:

To your squadmates, it's better to be a fast resetter than a fast shooter!

Not only to your squadmates, but to the R.O."s as well.

Honestly, go to every large match that interests you, you can afford, and have the equipment for. (You can buy more equipment if a match interests you.)  You will learn more at larger matches than at most locals. The more you learn the better you can be.

• 1 month later...

The pro am would be a great match to attend , the am match is great for all skill levels, lots of after shooting fun in the vendor area and if you get lucky on the random draw for the AM prize table you can walk away with a great prize even if you tank a stage.   

• 4 months later...

If you are just stating 3 gun the AM divison of the ProAm would be a good one- random prize draw and you will gain a lot of experience and meet great people who will be very helpful. The only way to gain experience is by shooting all the matches you can- big and small- central IN is not that far from the ProAm- you can easily drive.

There are hotels in Bowling Green which is not that far away and some in between there and the match.

Buy a box of Winchester long beard turkey loads with #6 shot for spinners way out there. This ammo will spin them with no problem.