Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex PST II vs Steiner P4Xi vs Burris XTR II

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:49 PM, polymerfeelsweirdman said:

Ended up getting the XTR and really like it especially for the money (compared to the Vortexes and Mtacs I've seen)

Thinking of getting another versus a p4xi so I'm having the same dilemma... Seems the price on the pst II's are dropping too though, as dvor had them for $500 and I'm seeing them in the mid to high 500 range more often

Get the Steiner (or a more expensive 1-4X scope).

As a general rule, never fall into the trap of buying glass on basis of price alone...there's no free optics lunch.

All scopes, especially cheap scopes look great in bright daylight. They typically manifest their compromises when it counts:

1. low-light performance

2. discerning small targets or detail at reasonable distances,

3. Turret tracking/repeatability

4. discerning targets in the face of mirage

I could go on, but i think you get my drift.

Top end magnification is not everything...it may not be useful if the glass is of lower quality.

I shoot NRA highpower, which means i run 1-4X scopes on an AR-15 out to 600yards and on AR-10 (M110 builds to 1,000yards)...I shoot with either a March 1-4.5X scope (started with NF 1-4).  The glass on these scope is so good that i can see the 1/4" scoring rings & the 3" high numbers at 600yards....I could also very easily track mirage movements and dial appropriately for windage....i couldn't see either clearly with a cheaper 1-4X Vortex...I have to get off the gun and peer into my 25X spotting scope do the same thing I could with my March or NF scope.

I know it's cliché, but honestly dude, Buy once, Cry once.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

FYI, DSG Arms has PST Gen 2 on sale for $475 and P4Xi with throw lever for $509 (may have to log in to see those prices).  I think those are good deals; don't recall ever seeing the Viper that cheap before.

https://dsgarms.com/weekly-deals?term=viper

https://dsgarms.com/magnified-optics-stn5202

Edited by Southpaw

• 10 months later...

Recently got the Burris XTR II 1-8x rear focal plane and Vortex PST Gen II to compare. The FOV on the PST is significantly bigger (surprising given the XTR has a 34mm tube over the PST's 30), but the dot on the XTR gets a lot brighter (setting 9/11 about matches the PST).  It's also more orange than the PST's red dot. PST is still daylight bright, though.

The windage and elevation knobs on the PST are a lot stiffer and mushier, while the XTR has very nice clicks and easy to adjust with the exposed elevation turret and zero stop. You're not going to be adjusting the PST on the fly, you could with the XTR.

The reticle on the Burris stays more black, the PST lines seem to have less contrast in dimmer situations. They do stay black against a bright background.

I'm leaning towards the PST.

• 3 weeks later...