Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex PST II vs Steiner P4Xi vs Burris XTR II

Just got vortex PST genii last month from OP for under $500, its on sale plus a coupon. I had Bushnell sold it, then Vortex Strike eagle 1-6 traded it in with Atibal xp8. I thought xp8 glass is good, it is still good, but PST is way better. Never had a high end scope to compare with but this is all I can afford and I made a great choice. A little heavy but I care less as long as I get a better view of my targets and you won’t be carrying it all day anyway. 

31D855B6-913F-45BF-8B75-0E596D9EF674.jpeg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I now have both Steiner P4Xi and Burris XTR II. Have steiner on 11.5  and  Burris on 16in just mounted  have not shot  Burris yet.   just looking  trough the p4xi is just a bit better on 1 power. just  a little the only way to see it is by looking at them one after the other.  Honestly if some one told me i have to get rid of one i would not be able to choose . would need to flip the coin. 

well the steiner better not suck as i just ordered one, without the opportunity to look thru it first.  just wanted something lighter for a lighter ar-15 build i just did.

what i know i don't like about it is it has a bdc reticle set up for a 200yd zero.  this rifle will be used mostly if not exclusively in bay stages (ie 50yd max), occasionally going out to 300yds.  depending on how far the 200 yard zero is off from ~25yd poi, i may just zero it at 25 or so and put up with some weird holds at 100-300yds.

1 hour ago, davsco said:

well the steiner better not suck as i just ordered one, without the opportunity to look thru it first.  just wanted something lighter for a lighter ar-15 build i just did.

what i know i don't like about it is it has a bdc reticle set up for a 200yd zero.  this rifle will be used mostly if not exclusively in bay stages (ie 50yd max), occasionally going out to 300yds.  depending on how far the 200 yard zero is off from ~25yd poi, i may just zero it at 25 or so and put up with some weird holds at 100-300yds.

You will be happy with the steiner. It's the clearest glass you will ever look through. 

12 hours ago, davsco said:

I'd be pretty surprised if you weren't happy with the Steiner.  It's a decent weight, has clear glass, good eye relief, and a nice usable reticle.

2 hours ago, 1911vm said:

just FYI

that's pretty neat!  my one club has some pretty tight targets and there i'll be shooting way more close stuff than 100-300 yd stuff.  i'll play around with different zero distances and see what works for me.

I switched to 200 about 7 years ago after taking my first  class  with Mike Pannone . Less holdovers  i shoot center mass  from 25 to 200  deviation is no more than 3in. than hold chin for center mass hit at 300. Good luck and have fun. 

Edited by 1911vm

20 hours ago, davsco said:

You will love it!

If your ammo is around 2900 fps, a 200 yd. zero will  be pretty much dead on at 50 all the way out to 200 yds.

From  25 yds out you will be able to hold dead on any target out to 200yds The rise will only be about 1-1/2.

25 and in you will be only be about an inch high except for real close shots. 5 to 15 yds you will be the amount your scope is over the bore of your rifle.

Usually about 3"

On 3/15/2019 at 5:13 PM, dmshozer1 said:

You will love it!

so i just opened the steiner box.  looked thru the reticle and that center is super tiny, thinking i wouldn't even be able to see a red dot that small.  but turned it on and up and that is def a nice, bright, relatively large daylight dot!  i think i will like it, thx everyone for the advice and input!

now i just need to get my seekins adj gas block set.  i turned it all the way in, backed it out some, case not ejected.  backed it out a half, case not ejected, backed it out a half, case ejected but didn't load a new round, backed it out a half, case ejected but didn't load a new round, same again, backed it out a half, and this time the case didn't eject, crap!  was doing this in my backyard trying not to piss off the neighbors too much.  will do it all again at the range after my next match.

11 minutes ago, NoKimberDave said:

The Steiner seemed to have crept up in price.

I got 1 used. Hard to find but its worth looking for it. I like my enough that I am planning to get enother one. For a different upper 

Just now, 1911vm said:

I got 1 used. Hard to find but its worth looking for it. I like my enough that I am planning to get enother one. For a different upper 

I got mine for 459.00 with throw lever. I feel like its one of the best price/performance deals I have ever had on gear. It's an awesome optic and I love it.

Probably wouldn't have bought it for 650$ though. 

1 hour ago, NoKimberDave said:

I got mine for 459.00 with throw lever. I feel like its one of the best price/performance deals I have ever had on gear. It's an awesome optic and I love it.

Probably wouldn't have bought it for 650$ though. 

I paid $425 for mine w/ throw lever from DSG in February of last year.  I can't believe how they've come up in price. 

And I agree with both of your comments; I love it at $450 or less, but for $650 I'd likely get something else.

On 3/25/2019 at 9:27 AM, davsco said:

yes got mine at cameraland for $520 shipped with throw lever.  ask for doug and you should get a new, non open box, for this price.

Thanks for the tip! Just ordered it from Doug...almost got the Viper since prices dropped to $600 and Primary Arms was doing $50 off $500 or more, but I really like the lighter weight of the Steiner. Now to order a mount...thinking the Bobro Precision. 

I ran a Burris XTR II 1-5 for a couple of seasons. After the target turrets moving in the bag bit me for the second time I got rid of it and bought the Steiner P4xi. I much prefer the reticle and simple center dot of the Steiner (never warmed to the horseshoe of the Burris). Although I am 54, I shot Limited with a red dot for years so 4x is entirely adequate for me. At SMM3G last week I hit two 505 yard targets on Stage 1 with just three shots.

The only downside with the Steiner is that I had to return my first one after only a few weeks - something broke loose in the ocular bell. That was back in November 2017 and they took great care of me. Just to be safe, I bought a second identical optic when I found it on sale, put it in an identical mount and zeroed it so I have a drop-in replacement ready to go. Since doing that - Sod's Law - the damned thing has been rock solid :D

On 3/29/2019 at 6:18 PM, StealthyBlagga said:

I ran a Burris XTR II 1-5 for a couple of seasons. After the target turrets moving in the bag bit me for the second time I got rid of it and bought the Steiner P4xi. I much prefer the reticle and simple center dot of the Steiner (never warmed to the horseshoe of the Burris). Although I am 54, I shot Limited with a red dot for years so 4x is entirely adequate for me. At SMM3G last week I hit two 505 yard targets on Stage 1 with just three shots.

The only downside with the Steiner is that I had to return my first one after only a few weeks - something broke loose in the ocular bell. That was back in November 2017 and they took great care of me. Just to be safe, I bought a second identical optic when I found it on sale, put it in an identical mount and zeroed it so I have a drop-in replacement ready to go. Since doing that - Sod's Law - the damned thing has been rock solid :D

How  would you compare the glass between them 2 scopes? 

6 hours ago, 1911vm said:

How  would you compare the glass between them 2 scopes? 

My old eyes could not tell the difference. Biggest improvement for me was the reticle - Steiner is much cleaner, and the dot is better than the horseshoe. Both are daylight bright in the AZ summer sun.

regrettably I am about to send my Steiner back to the manufacturer the brightness does not change between settings . they told me to try a new battery but that did not help.  Got a  scope mount for burris will test drive it hopefully this weekend .  before I send Steiner i will check them side by side 

Edited by 1911vm