Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex PST II vs Steiner P4Xi vs Burris XTR II

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not get a 4x scope if you regularly shoot beyond 300.  I would not get a 4x scope period.  The Burris 1-8 has decent glass and I have shot off a bench through one.  I did not care for the reticle though its not terrible or anything.  I like the Vortex MOA reticle because it's the same as my Razor.  I have been considering getting the PST II for a backup rifle, its decent glass.  

I would take a look at your proposed reticles in Strelok with your load as well.

We have a Burris XTR 1x8, Vortex Razor HD 1x6, and a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1x6 on our 3 rifles. By far the Razor is the best. Very close is the Burris & Viper with glass. Now the Burris has the higher power, but the Viper is very close, great glass & reticle & 2moa red dot. I got the Viper on Gunbroker for just over $500. Worth every penny. Would never go back to a 1x4, field of vision is too narrow. Don't know much about the Steiner.

gerritm

10 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

I'd have thought it would be wider ??

Well, yes and no. Field of view of a given scope is determined by the exit pupil and objective lens diameter...Not by its magnification. Most 1-? scopes have a very close field of view to each other at the same power setting. Never in the history of optics has a scope set at 6 or 8 power had a wider field of view than a 4 power setting. I have found all to often that many shooters go for too much power on a given stage. 

I do not have experience with the others, but we have a Steiner P4Xi on a TTI Ultralight in the household.  It's an awesome scope and I got the LE model for like $370 a while back.  At that price, I'd buy another in a heartbeat.  That said, the prices have crept up a ton since I bought mine.  If I were buying another low power optic today, I'd probably be looking at the PST GenII 1-6x for only a little more...

2 hours ago, mpeltier said:

Well, yes and no. Field of view of a given scope is determined by the exit pupil and objective lens diameter...Not by its magnification. Most 1-? scopes have a very close field of view to each other at the same power setting. Never in the history of optics has a scope set at 6 or 8 power had a wider field of view than a 4 power setting. I have found all to often that many shooters go for too much power on a given stage. 

This, thank you for clarifying. Wrong choice of words.

gerritm

I have the Steiner and the PST moa 1-6.

The Steiner is likely the best piece of gear I have ever purchased from a price/performance perspective. I paid 459 for mine. IMO, it just can not be beat in that price range. It slaughtered the 1-6 Strike Eagle it replaced. It really feels like a mini Razor to me. It's killer. I love it.

My newest scope is the PST. I love this scope, too. I wish the reticle was the JM-1 or more like the Steiner, which I feel is perfect for me. But it performs very well with clear glass and daylight illumination. No regrets on this purchase. It's awesome, too, for the money. 

Hard to go wrong with either. Haven't owned the burris, but I hate hate hate circle dots/ donuts/ busy reticles. But their ballistic dot reticle looks useable.

I'm kind of between the Steiner and the Burris right now because the prices are about $450 for either

Viper PST II cheapest I can find is $600 though I did like it when I checked it out in person.

I'm having a hard time justifying the extra $150. It doesn't seem like much but that is a 1/3 price increase and the only obvious gain to me is the increase magnification.

I've had both the Steiner and the Viper.  The Steiner was very nice, but I much preferred the Viper.  I preferred the mil reticle, the extra 2x, and the turrets were much nicer.  You will likely not regret spending the extra money when it comes to optics.

• 1 month later...

My vote would be the Viper. I've heard nothing but good things about them from people that I trust. Any of the options that you're considering would probably get the job done, but all of them give up something to the ideal "top-tier" optics that are the most popular... and from all that I've read and hear, the Viper is the one that gives up the least.

If price is a substantial concern, then I totally get it. Go with whatever's cheapest. But good glass is not cheap; if you've decided on a general performance tier of optic and can afford all of the specific models in that tier without substantial hardship, it's probably counterproductive to think too much about the price differences between individual modelsIn that way lies madness.

I'd think of it more this way: you're looking at a bunch of solidly mid-tier optics, and you're already committed to spending $150-$200 more than an entry-level optic like a Strike Eagle or a Primary Arms. To get anything substantially better than the options you're considering, you'd have to go to the top tier (Razor, Mk. 6, etc.), and I've never seen any of those go for less than $900, and $1200-2000 is typical. When viewed in that light, the $150 isn't all that much.

P4xi

Pros: weight, cost

Cons: 4x

Pst Gen II

Pros: 6x

Cons: weight, more expensive

Equal or no perceptible difference: reticle, dot brightness, glass quality, construction

Really depends if the extra 2x is worth the added weight and money. If it is, get the gen II, if not, get the p4xi

I don't have experience with the Burris, so I wont add that into my comparison. I was really impressed with both optics for the price.

I’ve had both. Steiner is much lighter, good glass love mine. Only thing I would like is a little more top end for aging eyes.  Burris1x5 was good, it’s heavy , has good glass. One negative I didn’t like was the exposed turrets. I used it for a couple run and guns, but was concerned about spinning the knobs in adverently.   

Both are good  for the price. You just need to weigh the pros and cons versus your needs.

Definitely XTR II, I hear there's sometimes nice, lightly used ones in the classifieds too 😜. I do like the XTR though, especially the horseshoe reticle at 1x with the illumination which gets very bright. Don't need it anymore since I recently got a Razor, otherwise I'd have been happy to keep using it. 

5 hours ago, Southpaw said:

Definitely XTR II, I hear there's sometimes nice, lightly used ones in the classifieds too 😜. I do like the XTR though, especially the horseshoe reticle at 1x with the illumination which gets very bright. Don't need it anymore since I recently got a Razor, otherwise I'd have been happy to keep using it. 

I replaced my XTR with a  Razor I’m really liking it. Especially the bump on the top end 

• 1 month later...

Ended up getting the XTR and really like it especially for the money (compared to the Vortexes and Mtacs I've seen)

Thinking of getting another versus a p4xi so I'm having the same dilemma... Seems the price on the pst II's are dropping too though, as dvor had them for $500 and I'm seeing them in the mid to high 500 range more often

I'd go with the vortex. Now, the steiner is the clearest piece of glass I've ever looked through, but it's only 1-4. Maybe if I were 20 years old and my eyes were as sharp as lasers, but when I shoot out to 4 or 500 yards I need the extra 6 power that the vortex offers. 

If there was such a thing as a 600$ steiner 1-6 I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but I think for the money the vortex is the best bet