Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CFE Pistol for 9Mmm Major

bigboy69

42 minutes ago, HoMiE said:

Although the powders may look and be similar in charge weight they are not the same. It usually take a little more CFE to achieve same velocity as AutoComp.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/editorial/making-major-hodgdon-cfe-pistol-powder/137998

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many Different lots were used in the testing? seems like a reasonably small sample and those velocity differences are not outside lot to lot differences in many powders at major. that said I have only ever used one lot of WAC so I have no data to add.

35 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many Different lots were used in the testing? seems like a reasonably small sample and those velocity differences are not outside lot to lot differences in many powders at major. that said I have only ever used one lot of WAC so I have no data to add.

Yeah, I know not the most scientific test, but I would use some caution when developing a load and work up with a chrono. It could be autocomp and cfe powder start out with same base but then maybe cfe is modified for its copper erasing properties and why it may burn a tad slower needing slightly more powder. 

10 minutes ago, HoMiE said:

Yeah, I know not the most scientific test, but I would use some caution when developing a load and work up with a chrono. It could be autocomp and cfe powder start out with same base but then maybe cfe is modified for its copper erasing properties and why it may burn a tad slower needing slightly more powder. 

for sure always use caution with major loads. I know with some powders lot to lot is as much as 1/2 a grain or more. but I don't know how lot sensitive WAC is

31 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:
1 hour ago, HoMiE said:
Although the powders may look and be similar in charge weight they are not the same. It usually take a little more CFE to achieve same velocity as AutoComp.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/editorial/making-major-hodgdon-cfe-pistol-powder/137998

From the mouth of Hodgdon himself, they are the same.

I know Hodgdon  reloading shows the same data for 231 and hp-38, h110 and w296 are the same. But all their published data for cfe pistol and autocomp is close but slightly different. 

I knew the loads were close but I didn't know that close. Can you tell me if the CFE feels softer in the hand then WAC? Also which do you think is cleaner?? I never used CFE only WAC, AA&, Win 540, Solo 100 and some Vit.

Thank you everyone!! That's why I love this site!!!!

15 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:
17 hours ago, HoMiE said:

From the mouth of Hodgdon himself, they are the same.

17 minutes ago, bigboy69 said:

I knew the loads were close but I didn't know that close. Can you tell me if the CFE feels softer in the hand then WAC? Also which do you think is cleaner?? I never used CFE only WAC, AA&, Win 540, Solo 100 and some Vit.

Thank you everyone!! That's why I love this site!!!!

See quote above. 

I've heard people say cfe requires .1 gr more but I'd guess that's because lot of lot variation. 

I loaded up a few CFE and couldnt tell a difference but I can't really tell a difference between it and WAC but I can't really tell difference between any of them. Not much anyways. 

Edited by B_RAD

I’ve used both. I’ve loaded at least 40lbs of WAC in 9 major.  I’ve used some lots that require .3gr more to hit same velocity as other lots.  Which also means some lots take .3gr less. 

As as far as I can tell, WAC and CFE are the same powder. Feel the same and dot looks the same. 

On 11/22/2018 at 8:58 PM, d_striker said:

I’ve used both. I’ve loaded at least 40lbs of WAC in 9 major.  I’ve used some lots that require .3gr more to hit same velocity as other lots.  Which also means some lots take .3gr less. 

As as far as I can tell, WAC and CFE are the same powder. Feel the same and dot looks the same. 

My experience exactly.  I go with the cheapest powder WAC or CFE....

On 11/22/2018 at 6:58 PM, d_striker said:

I decided to email Chris Hodgdon about this.  He said that CFE Pistol and Autocomp are absolutely different powders even though they are similar in burn rate.  He said that the data between these two powders is not interchangeable.  

I also asked him about the burn rate charts listing HS-6 as faster than Autocomp and CFE Pistol.  He said that these charts are correct.  CFE Pistol is formulated using newer technology and is much more efficient.  So although it takes less CFE per given velocity than HS6, it is still actually slower burning.