Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Sitting or Standing?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sit because That’s how the guy who taught me to reload did it

i have no problem running my 650 while sitting, one thing I did notice when I switched from my 450 to a 650 was it did require a little more force to on the down stroke, lubing the cases solved that

i sit on a office chair with caster wheels and have no problem sizing, seating primers, looking in the cases for powder etc, and I can tell my case feeder is getting empty because it’s quieter 

5 hours ago, S&W686 said:

I have both my 650 and 550 setup to reload while sitting.  I will usually reload 300-400 at a time and sitting is much more pleasurable at my age.

I stand at both my 550 and 650 but I have used a tall stool at times.  

I have a 650 with strong mount and roller handle (MBF & Casefeeder). I stand or sit but use this type of stool for both.  It allows me to just lean onto it when standing and has good adjustability in height if sitting.  When I hear the casefeeder spinning, searching for a case I add brass,  when the MBF is going click,click,click  instead of clunk,  I add bullets..  Keep it simple...

IMG_1881.JPG

On 11/22/2018 at 7:50 PM, L3324temp said:

I cannot fathom loading on a 650while sitting on a stool. It just does not seem like it would work. I suppose if you lube pistol cases it could work, but it would not be worth that headache for me.

I sit in an office chair, not a stool. But I don't see much difference there. I don't specifically lube my cases, but I do put a little case polish paste in the tumbler media each time I clean the brass. No problems cycling the press. I use RCBS dies, if that makes any difference.

I have a 650 mounted directly to my bench.  The ceiling in my basement is pretty short 6.5' so mounting a press at standing height was out of the picture.

It works out okay for me but I would prefer to stand if I could.  I sit in front of a computer 80% of the day so it would be good for me to stand.

I also I have a very low basement ceiling height. Due to my bench height my case feeder is 3" below the bottom of the rafters. I load the case feeder in between the rafters. Being that its low I have a bar type stool that I kind of halfway sit on it. I have one foot on the ground and that allows me to seat primers good. Im on my feet all day so sitting is nice. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:16 AM, Sarge said:

Just like nearly every “new” subject brought up this has been discussed before. I think the majority stand while reloading if I recall. Pretty easy to do a search for all the pros and cons. Much easier for me to stand so I can keep bullet feeder full, primers full, case feeder full etc.

is it at easy as you ignoring a post?

1 hour ago, funkymonkey1111 said:

is it at easy as you ignoring a post?

What? Do a search before asking the same questions over and over. Every forum member owes it to Brian to keep the forums streamlined.

If you can’t figure out how to search just ask. 

My dad told me to always have my workbench top set at 36".  I sit on a 24" Kitchen stool, and don't use the strong mount on either my 550 or 650. That combination has been been working good for me for over 30 years.

I do have to stand up to fill the case feeder, and I'm 5'8".