Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to set up my belt for open

abigger04

Next year will be my third season in uspsa and my second season shooting open. 

One thing that I haven’t been able to nail down though is whether my belt is set up correctly for open division.

What is the most efficient location for my magazine carriers and at which angle should my magazines be presented? 

Also, is there an advantage to a certain angle which the holster should be oriented?  

Photo attached for reference. 

36F21A5E-E37D-41BF-B151-5A55F06AA197.jpeg

The short answer is however you like.

I have my gun behind the hip bone and straight up & down because I shoot multiple divisions and it’s easier to switch that way.

Similar for mag pouches but I do have one in front for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most everybody I know centers front mag on belly button and tilts it over further. This does two things. Allows lower reach to pull mag and makes it easy to get the belt and gear in the same position every time. 

My Third pouch is on hip straight up and second pouch splits difference on location and tilt.

My holster is raked back a little more and just a touch more forward.

What you have looks fine. To a large extent most anything works fine with enough practice.

You might try canting your holster so that the back strap of the grip of your pistol is more parallel to the ground (I find that helps me get a more consistent grip on the gun.) if you use a scoop draw something else might be better.

My holster is positioned so that from a normal starting position of hands naturally at sides  bringing my hand straight up and back down gets me a good grip on the gun.  With my posture that puts the gun about where Matt1 above describes.

My mag pouches are set so that the first one is located so that when I drop my hand straight down from my firing grip the mag is where my hand intersects my belt and angled like you have yours so that when I grab it my index finger is parallel to the spine of the mag.   The rest are set at similar angles. Except the last one farthest to the back which is more vertical as Sarge describes.

For reference I am a middle of the pack M so nothing special.

Edited by caspian guy

Obviously, tenths of seconds matter in this sport, so setting your gear up to cause less movement for your hands would be the faster way to go for sure.  For me, since I also shoot 3gun, IDPA and carry daily at work, I keep mine all pretty much IDPA/single stack legal so there always in roughly the same spot.  

One way to see the mag positions is to put them where your hand will naturally go,  down and then backwards - keeping your wrist naturally straight.

Looking at the photo, looks as if the magazines are pointing away from your body. Maybe too far to be legal? That might force you to turn your wrist to get a good grip with the index finger along the front of the mag. Let your hand and straight wrist be your guide.....

3 hours ago, perttime said:

One way to see the mag positions is to put them where your hand will naturally go,  down and then backwards - keeping your wrist naturally straight.

Looking at the photo, looks as if the magazines are pointing away from your body. Maybe too far to be legal? That might force you to turn your wrist to get a good grip with the index finger along the front of the mag. Let your hand and straight wrist be your guide.....

That is exactly what my problem has been. I’m having to turn my wrist and it’s awkward to draw a magazine. So I need to angle my magazines inward. I’ll try that tonight. 

Loosen them to the point you can move them with a little bit of force, play with your positioning until you can drop your weak hand straight to the magazine without breaking your wrist from being straight. Once you find that spot nothing else matters but practice. 

the angles of pouches are best decided by the angle your hand hits the particular mag. so as Sarge said for the front mag if you lower your arm to that position without contorting the wrist you end up with a fairly flat angle. then just follow around the belt to see what angles are best at the other mags.

guess that's just rewording of what perttime wrote.

Edited by Powder Finger

On 11/20/2018 at 6:09 PM, abigger04 said:

That is exactly what my problem has been. I’m having to turn my wrist and it’s awkward to draw a magazine. So I need to angle my magazines inward. I’ll try that tonight. 

Did you find comfortable adjustments?

8 hours ago, perttime said:

Did you find comfortable adjustments?

I think I’m on the right track!

I angled my pouches inward somewhat and that has helped quite a bit with my magazine in the first position. That is where I have been having the most trouble. 

Also I observed what Sarge and Powder stated above. So, without breaking my weak hand wrist from a straight position, I moved my hand down to the first, second, and third magazine position and angled my magazine pouches to make a complimentary angle. With just a little bit of dry fire practice I can see that this is a more efficient way to align my magazines. I’ll probably make some finer adjustments later but this is starting to make sense. 

Thanks again to all for the advice 

• 3 weeks later...

I have my first pouch dead center so it helps me always put my belt on properly, and I always have my mags angled to where my hand is naturally angled when I go down to reach. The first two are usually around 45 degrees, and my 9 o'clock pouch is pretty much straight up and down.

That being said I have my belt so it velcro together dead center on my back, so I have room to put pouches in the front.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2018 at 1:48 PM, Glock17open said:

Add a magnet for open. In stages where you have barrel/table starts it's quicker to grab an go buy putting a mag on the magnet

Seconding this.  I picked up one of the double alpha magnets from another shooter here and it has been very useful for table starts as well as centering my belt.

• 1 month later...
On 12/31/2018 at 6:48 PM, Glock17open said:

Add a magnet for open. In stages where you have barrel/table starts it's quicker to grab an go buy putting a mag on the magnet

How do you add a magnet to a double alpha racer pouch?  I can't even find the magnets for sale.

went and checked my old limited and open rigs. I use a wider duty belt buckled in the back,, but thats just personal.. However I thought yours looked a little off. 
1 IMO your  front mag pouch is on backwards,, take that thing apart flip it over and re attach.. " I have the open part facing up, not down... So you can grab mag and come straight up THROUGH the pouch,,,instead of haveing to grab,, pull left, then up.. Google images of the Safariland 771's..   Behind that I have a basic 2 pouch... cause honestly in open or limited if you are going for a second reload you are FUBAR'd anyways.

this is for 3gun open since i havent shot a uspsa match yet, but i image the same concepts would apply.  Holster is on right hip and tilted forward a little bit.  I tilt my mags forward the opposite  of yours because as my hand reaches back i want as little movement as possible in my actual reach.  if i reach back and my last mag is tilted backwards i feel like i have to reach back even more to actually grab the mag.  

4 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

this is for 3gun open since i havent shot a uspsa match yet, but i image the same concepts would apply.  Holster is on right hip and tilted forward a little bit.  I tilt my mags forward the opposite  of yours because as my hand reaches back i want as little movement as possible in my actual reach.  if i reach back and my last mag is tilted backwards i feel like i have to reach back even more to actually grab the mag.  

Uh.. holster tilted slightly back if anything. OP mags are correct. I have 3 pouches with #1 raked back a good bit, #2 raked about half that and #3 is straight up exactly on left hip.

By tilting holster and pouches forward it takes unnatural wrist , hand and arm movements to get to them

Lowe’s also sells big magnets with the steel covering they just have a hook center, snip it off and there is a predrill hole there, super easy to add to your kit without more than five bucks and ten minutes work

11 hours ago, Sarge said:

Uh.. holster tilted slightly back if anything. OP mags are correct. I have 3 pouches with #1 raked back a good bit, #2 raked about half that and #3 is straight up exactly on left hip.

By tilting holster and pouches forward it takes unnatural wrist , hand and arm movements to get to them

ok i mean if that works

i was just sharing what works for me. im a big dude with stubby arms, just makes it easier on my range of motion

i tilt the holster forward because i used to carry a duty 1911 and if it was tilted forward a bit i could mash in the grip safety and get the perfect alignment in my hand as i drew

old habits die hard i guess