Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge Gun

dstein

Hi all,

i need some help. I have a 40 S&W STI Edge that I really enjoy. Looking to shoot steel challenge and therefore looking for a 9mm Luger. 

Considering one one of these 3:

STI 

CZ Tactical Sport Orange 

Walther PPQ Q5 Match

For those who shoot steel, what are your thoughts?  Any other gun you would recommend, and why?

Thanks!

I have the TSO. I actually bought a Sig 320 x5 to be my night stand gun and do steel challenge with. I just felt like I could get a striker fired gun out of the holster and get the first shot off quicker than I do the TSO, since it is single action only and the safety must be engaged. Because of that, I think the Q5 match would fit the bill for what you are wanting. (By no means am I saying it is the best gun of the three, I just think it would suit you best if steel challenge is the only reason you are looking at those three.) However, you know what they say about opinions. :)

11 hours ago, BLUEPSTU said:

I have the TSO. I actually bought a Sig 320 x5 to be my night stand gun and do steel challenge with. I just felt like I could get a striker fired gun out of the holster and get the first shot off quicker than I do the TSO, since it is single action only and the safety must be engaged. Because of that, I think the Q5 match would fit the bill for what you are wanting. (By no means am I saying it is the best gun of the three, I just think it would suit you best if steel challenge is the only reason you are looking at those three.) However, you know what they say about opinions. :)

Thanks for the input.  Yes...this would be just for steel challenge.  All that I have seen and read about the Q5 lead me to think this is the right choice....especially at half the price of the others!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Having had an STI marauder and edge, a TSO, and a number of PPQs...I sold them all and picked up a PPQ Q5 Steel Frame for my USPSA, IDPA, and general target shooting pistol.  So I’m a bit biased at the moment.  All are great guns and it comes down to price, how finicky they are, and your preference for trigger and safeties. 

Youll need to to decide what division you want to shoot since they will impact this as well (9mm vs .40). 

While all of them are more accurate than I am, I would have to say:

- TSO: less finicky than the 2011s (in my experience), the weight is in the right spots to get you back on target, good aftermarket, great adjustable trigger out of the box, but a weak trigger reset and I couldn’t get the right thumb rest angle for my hands

- 2011s: great trigger, largest aftermarket support, gets back on target fast,  gets picky with mags and needs a bit more maintenance, more expensive, need big hands to reach controls easily, some issues with off hand usage for me and the grip safety

- PPQ polymer: good trigger (but get an apex), great price, slowest back on target with most flip, below average aftermarket support, not as special feeling

- PPQ Steel Frame: price less than the TSO or 2011, weight makes it fast to get back on target, still need big-ish hands for it, hardly any aftermarket available, some initial teething issues from Walther, was fastest from the holster to first shots for me. 

You cant go wrong but try them all!

Edited by uhmeebuh

i went to a steel challenge yesterday for the first time, there was a guy there shooting the new taurus tx22 with a modified slide with a red dot, looked like a vortex viper or venom, he was so fast and accurate, makes me think when i go to my next shoot if i would do better scoring with a 22 rimfire

chet

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2019 at 3:42 PM, chetc said:

i went to a steel challenge yesterday for the first time, there was a guy there shooting the new taurus tx22 with a modified slide with a red dot, looked like a vortex viper or venom, he was so fast and accurate, makes me think when i go to my next shoot if i would do better scoring with a 22 rimfire

chet

For what it’s worth I shoot steel Challenge with a slightly modified buckmark 22 pistol with iron sights. To me it’s a 22 game if you want speed. Right now I’m a high B trying to break in to A. 

I'm all about .22 for steel challenge. 

Really fast, really cheap, minimal recoil and tons of fun. 

I use a Ruger MKIII 22/45 with Tandemkross comp, vortex venom and a *thumb rest [generic]*. 

I'll use my STI as a 2nd gun just for a little extra practice, but my scores are always higher with a .22

Edited by Matt1911

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2019 at 7:23 PM, uhmeebuh said:

- TSO: ...the weight is in the right spots to get you back on target...

- PPQ polymer: ...slowest back on target with most flip...

- PPQ Steel Frame: ...weight makes it fast to get back on target...

How many times are you shooting the plate?