Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which DIY upgrades would you do to a Shadow 2?

Gryff

Recently bought an S2 and I would like to improve the gun (within reason). Not interested in sending it off to CZC or CGW...just want to do what I can with DIY upgrades that require no (or very minute) gunsmithing.

Given those constraints, what would experienced users of Shadow 2s suggest I look at with my gun? Input appreciated.

I would recommend just shooting it a while and figure it out from there.  It may be perfect for you out of the box.  I put in all the go fast parts and ended up going back to the stock parts with 11lb recoil/hammer springs and a set of Lok grips.  

I would recommend just shooting it a while and figure it out from there.  It may be perfect for you out of the box.  I put in all the go fast parts and ended up going back to the stock parts with 11lb recoil/hammer springs and a set of Lok grips.  
This. A lot of guys who live in C class will give you a laundry list of things you have to spend money on to have the most impressive gun at the safe table.

11# recoil, 11.5# hammer spring, and a set of decent grips. That's the most bang for your buck. After that you hit diminishing returns fairly quickly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, NWfront said:

I have about 500-600 rounds through it at this point. I'm a long-time striker-fired pistol guy, but not a novice with DA/SA guns. I've shot stock CZs, as well as ones fully worked over by Cajun. So, I'm pretty comfortable with the delta between where it is now versus where it could theoretically be taken. It's a damn good gun, but I see how it could benefit from a few tweaks. Just wanted to find out what people think those minor mods should be.

I'm also coming from strikers and a worked over Stock 2.  I can tell you that a Pre B disco and CZC Comp hammer dropped right in with zero fitting.  Pre-travel & reset were short with crisp break.  I think the biggest improvement was finding the right grips.

Personally I’d do/get this:

CGW T5 disco
CGW hammer pins
CGW TRS
CGW Ext FP
9lb recoil, 10lb main & light FP springs from Robin Sebo
Grips to suit (recommend LOK Palmswell Bogies)

Fit that lot. Polish the trigger bar, sides of the stock hammer and round off & polish the hammer strut and it should be pretty sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recoil and hammer spring.

Dawson front sight.

Grips of your choice. 

It will never cease to amaze me how many people ruin their guns by trying to follow the "more stuff" model. Sure, my Mink gun is cool, but it's only marginally "better" than my stock gun. Both are noticeably nicer than guns with tons of aftermarket parts and home gunsmithing. 

Europe's advise:

CZ race hammer

Hardened sear pin

10 lbs recoil spring (tanfoglio 10 lbs spring works wonders)

10 lb hammer spring (or 11 if in your gun it doesn't ignite standard primers)

0,4 or 0,2 mm disconnector (check  luckydelta.com or seboweapons.com)

LOK grips

soft firing pin spring

light polish of slide / frame 

Single action will go to 2 lbs, best prod gun out there!

25 minutes ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Europe's advise:

CZ race hammer

Hardened sear pin

10 lbs recoil spring (tanfoglio 10 lbs spring works wonders)

10 lb hammer spring (or 11 if in your gun it doesn't ignite standard primers)

0,4 or 0,2 mm disconnector (check  luckydelta.com or seboweapons.com)

LOK grips

soft firing pin spring

light polish of slide / frame 

Single action will go to 2 lbs, best prod gun out there!

This is about as good as it gets right here! 

Recoil and hammer spring.
Dawson front sight.
Grips of your choice. 

It will never cease to amaze me how many people ruin their guns by trying to follow the "more stuff" model. Sure, my Mink gun is cool, but it's only marginally "better" than my stock gun. Both are noticeably nicer than guns with tons of aftermarket parts and home gunsmithing. 
Why replace the front sight?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Sniperboy said:

Does the Shadow 2 require an extended firing pin if you put in a lighter hammer/mainspring? 

My SP-01 was very inconsistent even with Winchester primers with the stock firing pin and a 13lb hammer/mainspring.

For me, it wasn’t. I don’t have any problems with CCI, Winchester  and federal primers plus factory ammo with my setup of factory firing pin and spring with the CGW 11.5# hammer spring. I used this setup when my reduced power firing pin spring broke during a match.

4 hours ago, Gryff said:

I was wondering the same thing. Is the Dawson sight noticeably narrower?

They have a lot more options, including significantly narrower blades. They also recess the the cuts, so the FO is protected and glare* reduced.

* When the rod absorbs a lot of light, it can make the FO appear too bright, including casting a glow. 

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Variety being the spice of life, there are many ways of doing minor mods on the Shadow 2 (and what a lovely gun it is).

In my case, I'm a tall guy, so I removed the factory grips and immediately installed fatter ones (first Lok palm bogies, then M-Arms Presidential grips).

For springs, I shoot only factory niner ammo, so I installed an 11 lb mainspring, a soft firing pin spring and a 10 lb recoil spring with buffer. I don't want to go lower on the recoil spring because it would trash my red dots. With iron sights you can get away with it.

No other mods, and I'm content and doing well in my division. YMMV.