First open gun for $2K?

lfine

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I shoot with two people who shoot M&Ps in Open.  Neither has any problems.  My buddy got his Open parts from Carver Custom and converted his gun.  He routinely beats a lot of 2011 Open shooters, including me.  Not a single hiccup all season long.

5 minutes ago, zzt said:

I shoot with two people who shoot M&Ps in Open.  Neither has any problems.  My buddy got his Open parts from Carver Custom and converted his gun.  He routinely beats a lot of 2011 Open shooters, including me.  Not a single hiccup all season long.

There are exceptions....but, then again, there are a ton of threads on here about 2011 open guns not running either. My 2011 Trubor has been flawless, the only issues I've ever had have been ammo related. 

2 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

There are exceptions....but, then again, there are a ton of threads on here about 2011 open guns not running either. My 2011 Trubor has been flawless, the only issues I've ever had have been ammo related. 

Amen. By and large 2011’s are more reliable. Throw in the fact that polymer Open guns feel like a tiny block of TNT going off in your hand and 2011’s look even better.

12 hours ago, lfine said:

Coming from the production side want to try open with a budget of $2000. There's a lot of advice out there but how about some quick, lightning round answers of just what hardware you'd recommend for the newbie to open coming from production.  Let's just keep it short and light-hearted. Thanks! And Happy Almost Thanksgiving!

Deals can be had. I know a guy on Facebook selling a very lightly used 2011 Open gun in 38SC WITH 4 mags, holster and belt for $2500. 

3 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Deals can be had. I know a guy on Facebook selling a very lightly used 2011 Open gun in 38SC WITH 4 mags, holster and belt for $2500. 

Even on here, deals can be had.

These are a bit more than what you listed as your budget, but, be vigilant, and you will find what you seek within your budget.

2 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

There are exceptions....but, then again, there are a ton of threads on here about 2011 open guns not running either.

People don’t have two page discussions about guns running as expected. We only hear about the problem children.

And 2011s are 90% of the open gun world, so volume alone dictates the most complaints.

11 hours ago, Fo0 said:

Tanfoglio

EAA Witness Elite Gold Team $1,700

I second that suggestion!

At least one set up comes with two barrels: major and minor. So, you can use the same frame and run both!

16 hours ago, zzt said:

You may be able to buy a well used 2011 Open for that

Your goal is reachable. Look for a used STI Trubor chambered in 9MM. Stay away from 38 Super. Brass is expensive. Welcome to the wonderful Open world.

12 minutes ago, 191138sc said:

Your goal is reachable. Look for a used STI Trubor chambered in 9MM. Stay away from 38 Super. Brass is expensive. Welcome to the wonderful Open world.

38 super is only expensive if you buy new for every use. Buy once or twice fired, and reload.

24 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

38 super is only expensive if you buy new for every use. Buy once or twice fired, and reload.

Or buy new, shoot it 6 or 7 times in practice, then leave it on the ground at matches, without guilt.  (Or shoot it 8 or 9 times.  Whatever!)

45 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

Every match I shoot is lost brass.  That's why I stay with 40 and 9mm, and not 45 or 38sc.

Or build it yourself.  As long as you don't have to do any mill work the hand tools are all available and not hard, just takes patience, a steady hand, good eye and did I say patience?

The plus side is you will have a skill that will last forever.  

You can even find jigs for drilling the mounts for the dot.

Going to keep my CZ production, but that was a good option.  I'm going to keep my eyes out for something in classifieds and keep reading all the good advice here. Thanks everyone.  Feel free to keep those cards and letters coming and Happy Thanksgiving!

1 hour ago, lfine said:

Going to keep my CZ production, but that was a good option.  I'm going to keep my eyes out for something in classifieds and keep reading all the good advice here. Thanks everyone.  Feel free to keep those cards and letters coming and Happy Thanksgiving!

My first Open CZ cost me under $2K:

21056113_1803628006318790_8240167560450930387_o.thumb.jpg.7a157b4e4490127d392a44075fb50512.jpg

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/265569-cz-open-build-theory/

2 hours ago, chenault said:

Man I just jumped into the CO game and even that cost over 2k when all was said and done.  Things add up quick.

SIG 320RX @ Cabelas for $700 this week, a couple of extra magazines, belt, holster and magazine holders and you’re in the game for $1K. 

Building an open gun on a 2k budget isn't really an option. I'm a gunsmith and when I wanted to make the jump to Open and saw the prices, I immediately just figured I'd build my own. Nope, it was still cheaper to buy a used one. Even buying a used 2011 as a base to build on, by the time you buy all the parts... nope, just get a used Open gun.

Slightly off topic: Trubor prices have been sneaking upwards since STI quit making them.