Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Open Gun Main Spring

bigboy69

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2018 at 3:35 PM, bigboy69 said:

What spring weight does everyone like to run? I run a 15lb or a 17lb in my main spring housing.

I’m testing different ones now. My open gun came with what felt like a very light main spring,  and it wouldn’t reliably ignite anything but fed primers. I just dropped a 17 in it, but haven’t tested it with  Anything but fed. I think it had a 15lb in it, to light imo. My other gun for limited seems to have a really heavy main spring straight from the factory. Once I see how the 17 works in my open gun and if it will light off harder primers, if so I’ll put the same in my limited  gun. If it still doesn’t ignite harder primers I’ll go to a 19. Won’t go any higher then that though. 

5 hours ago, Stymie12000 said:

I like 17#ms with dawson extended firing pin. 7-8# variable recoil spring. 2.25# trigger pull. Not a single ftf in thousands and thousands of rounds!

I just put the same setup in my open gun, except my trigger is a little lighter around 1.5lbs. But 17lb main with Dawson extended firing pin. Before with whatever mainspring came with it I’d get light strikes with Winchester primers. Only federal would work, even with the Dawson extended. I really think it was the main   spring. Im guessing it was a 15lb, and a worn one at that. I’m hoping I’ll have the same good results as you. 

I haven’t messed with the recoil spring in it yet. I think it’s a big over spung. Gonna pickup a new one probably a 7 or 8lb. Just put a 12lb wolf variable in my limited gun and it made a big difference in how the gun tracked. 

23 hours ago, bigboy69 said:

Really???? How is that??

Because there's no standard on what 15# or 17# is.  There is no accepted terminology for defining springs by an unaccompanied static load number.  With how it's done now, however they want to test them and dub them is up to them so there's no agreed upon consistency manufacturer to manufacturer. 

The most important basic specs on a spring are rate and free length, but we get none of that information so any comparisons aren't apples to apples.

Some industries use static load numbers to ID springs but they're typically defined at some static deflection, which at least gives you some real information on the rate of the spring.

Edited by theWacoKid