Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Black friday components thread?

StandardError

I'm not sure if anyone has made one, but it's that time of year again for me so I was hoping to reach out to the community.

Nationals is done. The components pile is running low. And my CC has gone a bit long without being flogged for primers and powders. 

I'd prefer to support a forum vendor but with so many and all of them using different methods of announcing deals, I was wondering if we could have a compilation thread. 

Think of it as an Oscar highlight reel but instead it's credit card debt. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, dvc4you said:

Come on Powder Valley!!! I need some primers , don’t let other companies get all my money in pre-Black Friday sales. Already spent a good chunk with Precision Delta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ya I really hope PV has a BF sale. I believe they just had free shipping on orders over $49 last year.

Midway just sweetened their deals with free shipping. So only the $9.99 hazmat fee on the primers. I ordered another case. Ordered a bunch of 9mm bullets, too. But had to order them in quantities of 250 rather than 1000 to keep the weight per item within the free shipping limitations. Paid a little bit more per bullet that way, but saved about twice that amount in shipping charges.

35 minutes ago, jejb said:

Midway just sweetened their deals with free shipping. So only the $9.99 hazmat fee on the primers. I ordered another case. Ordered a bunch of 9mm bullets, too. But had to order them in quantities of 250 rather than 1000 to keep the weight per item within the free shipping limitations. Paid a little bit more per bullet that way, but saved about twice that amount in shipping charges.

Stop shopping for reloading components there entirely.

Even with Midway’s free hazmat, Powder Valley is still more than $20 cheaper for 15k of CCI #500 small primers - with a full price hazmat fee included from PV.

(CCIs are $31+ per 1,000 from Midway, $28 from Powder Valley.)

Same with bullets: Go through one of the cheaper places like Precision Delta for FMJ or Blue / ACME for coated, and Midway’s prices look really high.

Unless you’re only buying a few hundred as a casual shooter, bulk pricing from other places factors in and kills any shipping advantage.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

14 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Even with Midway’s free hazmat, Powder Valley is still more than $20 cheaper for 15k of CCI #500 small primers - with a full price hazmat fee included from PV.

Same with bullets: Go through one of the cheaper places like Precision Delta for FMJ or Blue / ACME for coated, and Midway’s prices look really high.

Unless you’re only buying a few hundred as a casual shooter, bulk pricing from other places factors in and kills any shipping advantage.

This!! Midway RARELY beats Powder Valley on pricing and selection. And for bullets, Midway should be the last place to buy from. Much better off buying from companies like blue bullets, precision delta, and Roze distribution (Zero bullets).

Oh by the way, there's talk on the blue bullets facebook group that they plan to have a 15% off sale....I'll report back if there's a coupon code.

1 hour ago, andrew1220 said:

This!! Midway RARELY beats Powder Valley on pricing and selection. And for bullets, Midway should be the last place to buy from. Much better off buying from companies like blue bullets, precision delta, and Roze distribution (Zero bullets).

Oh by the way, there's talk on the blue bullets facebook group that they plan to have a 15% off sale....I'll report back if there's a coupon code.

the details of the blue bullets sale are up on their webpage.

Midsouth is free hazmat on $140 of Hodgdon powder plus they have Fiocchi SPP for $280 per 12k case. Shipping does not scale linearly with order size. So pick up an 8 lb jug of your favorite (Hodgdon) pistol powder and as many primers as you want. Shipping on 8 lbs of powder with 72k primers was $18. 

7 minutes ago, StandardError said:

I feel emasculated.

But then again, I, too want to make it to the point where I can measure my reloading components levels in presidential administrations.

I didn't actually order it (thought I might). If you get a group of local people together it's a good way to split costs. Find a guy who wants some Hodgdon powder with free hazmat, add some primers for yourself, and some for a few other buddies who want to get in on it. 

7 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I don't like CCI (or S&B) primers and I don't like coated bullets, so I guess I should have been more specific. I have shopped around quite a bit online. For WSP primers and copper plated 9mm bullets, I think the Midway prices are very competitive. I don't have any special allegiance to them, just after a good deal.

Edited by jejb

@jejb the savings are likely similar on Winchesters elsewhere just like they are with CCI, but I haven’t looked. My vibraprime chokes on winchester primers, and my 1050 makes me care a lot less than when I had to deal with the 650s priming system.

That said, Everglades has plated 124s for the same price as Berry’s through Midway at 8 cents per bullet... except Everglades has free shipping 365 days a year.

RMR is cheaper at 7.8 cents if you buy 3k, but I don’t know if their shipping is free or not.

Edited by MemphisMechanic