Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X-Treme Bullets - anyone buying lately?

Jollymon32

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only get 2K at a time and have switched to FMJ which I have only ever seen in stock with Xtreme once! PD for me.
I had an interesting conversation with the RMR guy years ago which also lead me to switch away from Xtreme, not wanting to buy from an owner like that. Evidently the two are located near each other?

I bet the mailman loves you guys.
Good luck, keep us informed.

To answer your question. No, I haven't bought from them since they went thru bankruptcy. So, I can't comment on the quality. 

Not to start a price, quality, accuracy back and forth here(I always liked Xtreme),.......BUT,..... IMO their pricing is too high. 

You can get jacketed for the same or even better pricing once you figure in shipping. 

Give Precision Delta a look if you decide to go jacketed. 

I've been trying different fmj's lately since the price difference has closed up but decided to grab a few boxes of Xtreme 147's during their Halloween sale.  The quality looks the same and to my surprise I received a shipping notification the fallowing day and they showed up on my doorstep 2 after that.  They used to take 1-3 weeks. 

Last year their black Friday sale was 15% off.  Factoring that into the equation, it was the cheapest plated bullet I could find.  However, I did not get the order until mid-january.

As we get closer to Black Friday, I have to figure out if I want to risk doing business with them again....

Edited by Jollymon32

Just spoke to Eli at Gallant bullets - turns out that their 125gr profile is almost identical to the Xtreme 124.  Which is very interesting to me as I had recently bought a batch of Acme 124's and their stubbier profile cost me 240 points at Nationals when I must have had a bad primer and upon ejecting the round, the bullet was stuck in the rifling - the next round pushed it further into the rifling as did the next round and the next one.  Luckily pistol did not go into battery...  

And they have a 15% off Black Friday deal....

@Jollymon32 when you got home did you do a plunk & spin test to see if something had somehow changed and your round were all getting hammered into the rifling? Or was that one round insufficiently seated somehow, and longer than the rest?

For what it’s worth, everglades plated 124s are fairly reasonably priced and my guns like them. Their shape is also short-barrel friendly and you don’t have to drive them back to 1.090” to run in a CZ or the like.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I recently bought 20k of the 124g HP and they shipped same week. I had them within 10 days, if not sooner.

This is post chap 11 or whatever. It was only like 2-3 months ago.

There is a link off the main page to check what is in stock. I think I got 7% off at the time too.

They shoot very accurately for me out of the CZ. Almost a good as Campro :)

https://www.xtremebullets.com/In-Stock-Now-s/48075.htm

Edited by ringram

I have purchased 4k rounds from  X-Treme in the past 45 days with plans to pick up another 4-5k this weekend if they put the 10% discount on again.....My two orders shipped within 24hrs of  X-Treme receiving my orders and their communication was great....

The quality of the 3k that I have loaded and of those 3k, the almost 2k I have shot, have reflected the high quality product that X-Treme has always provided me.....I only order the 124gr HPCB bullet and use this round in all of my 9mm pistols and AR’s.....Mark

7 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@Jollymon32 when you got home did you do a plunk & spin test to see if something had somehow changed and your round were all getting hammered into the rifling? Or was that one round insufficiently seated somehow, and longer than the rest?

I originally did a plunk test and they checked out at 1.143.  However, subsequently I did another and they are most definitely engaging the rifling.  I took them down to 1.126 and they are plunking fine.

By my way of thinking, you didn't do a *full* plunk test:

I want to know exactly what length causes that bullet to engage the rifling. I'll load at 1.160" and it'll fail to spin freely in the chamber. Try 1.155" and it fails. Continue shorter until it finally spins freely. By this method, I'll know in a few more repetitions that a specific bullet will contact the rifling at, say, 1.135-1.140"

I'll then make sure that my press doesn't produce any ammo longer than 1.130" for this example, so that I have .005" of wiggle room. That means than my old 650 would be set up to crank out ammo that varied between 1.122-1.130" in length. It always had around .009" of variation, and it's important to account for that.

8 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

By my way of thinking, you didn't do a *full* plunk test:

I want to know exactly what length causes that bullet to engage the rifling. I'll load at 1.160" and it'll fail to spin freely in the chamber. Try 1.155" and it fails. Continue shorter until it finally spins freely. By this method, I'll know in a few more repetitions that a specific bullet will contact the rifling at, say, 1.135-1.140"

I'll then make sure that my press doesn't produce any ammo longer than 1.130" for this example, so that I have .005" of wiggle room. That means than my old 650 would be set up to crank out ammo that varied between 1.122-1.130" in length. It always had around .009" of variation, and it's important to account for that.

What I do, is load a round around 1.16 but not crimp.  Then introduce the round into the chamber pressing it in.  Removing the round gives me the size where it engaged the rifling.  Then I deduct about .01. Then I test drop and spin. Not sure what changed..... wait I do know, my original test was on my practice accushadow with probably 20k rounds through it- the hang ups and the chamber test last night was on my match gun with just over 1k rounds through it.  Unfortunately, I have resized all the rounds down, no way to test, and no desire to create a test round - I have learned a lesson, plunk test on my match barrel....

I ordered 4K of plated 115g 9mm at the end of July and got them August 2, so no issues as far as price or shipping. I also got free shipping with that order. Haven't ordered since because free shipping has gone away, unless you're a first time buyer. 

I don't mind paying shipping, but X-Treme's is $30 and I can get much more reasonable shipping from Powder Valley or Graf with Berry's. I've also gotten free shipping with Rocky Mountain Reloading.

Dave

22 minutes ago, mveto said:

I switched over to RMR bullets, had to many issues with shipping times with extremes and the uncertainty of the company made the decision easy to make.

Jake is the man. I have purchased tens of thousands of bullets from him.  

27 minutes ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

X-Treme has 20% off that shows up after you load the bullets in your cart. Just purchased another 3k rounds of 9mm.....

Do you recall if they are still charging $30 shipping? That's what had me looking for another supplier on my last order.

Dave

On 11/20/2018 at 6:19 AM, Jollymon32 said:

What I do, is load a round around 1.16 but not crimp.  Then introduce the round into the chamber pressing it in.  Removing the round gives me the size where it engaged the rifling.  Then I deduct about .01. Then I test drop and spin. Not sure what changed..... wait I do know, my original test was on my practice accushadow with probably 20k rounds through it- the hang ups and the chamber test last night was on my match gun with just over 1k rounds through it.  Unfortunately, I have resized all the rounds down, no way to test, and no desire to create a test round - I have learned a lesson, plunk test on my match barrel....

???

This is not right.

You can use an unsized case to do what you are describing, but not a sized case that you don't crimp.  Crimp doesn't hold the bullet in place anyway.  Neck tension does.  It wouldn't matter if you crimped or not.  And since you wouldn't bell the case mouth with an unsized case, there is no crimping to be done anyway.

Your other option is size a case, flare and seat a bullet, then crimp, THEN start the process Memphis described above.  You MUST crimp in this case because if you do not, the flare will be larger than chamber ID down at the headspacing step, and it will pinch the case on the bullet and create false readings.

One way or another, I suspect your estimate of max OAL was well off.

Regardless of that, however, if you jam a bullet into the rifling, it takes a heck of a lot of force to pull that bullet out of the case and open the slide, like the amount of force produced by placing the slide against some immovable object and leaning your body weight against it hard.  

If you your slide opened with relative ease, and from description it did, you were able to rack the slide by hand and try to chamber a new cartridge, that first cartridge was not jammed into the rifling upon going into battery.  What you in fact had was a cartridge with no powder.  The primer detonated and knocked the bullet just into the rifling.  

On 11/19/2018 at 6:44 AM, Jollymon32 said:

I need to buy my yearly bullet cache (about 16K). 

Anyone buying from Extreme since they declared bankruptcy?  If so, how is their delivery time and quality control?

Thanks!

I stopped buying plated altogether when I figured out the thinly-plated bullets sold by XTReme and Berry's and the like were exceeded by coated lead in every way that matters, including price.

And if I had not, I would have dropped them for helping introduce those crappy stepped cases into the marketplace.

At the end of the day, you can get 124gr FMJ or JHP from Precision Delta for 8.9 cents per bullet, and 147gr FMJ for 10.4 cents per bullet, both including shipping.  For the quality, those prices are super cheap.   I just don't see any advantage in plated, and if I wanted to save a penny, I'd save two or three pennies by going to coated.

I guess what I'm saying is that you shouldn't stay away from XTreme because of the bankruptcy.  You should stay away from XTReme and other plated because there are better options.