Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Silicone Carbide grip tutorial

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been using the  JB weld medium cure and  it seems like the silica still comes off days after. Usually after applying the silica by dropping it over the grip I  then will press the silica down trying to get silica into the mixture and get a thicker base of silica. Still the silica comes off several days later in certain area. Any suggestions.

• 1 year later...

Handy work on my 1911.  Grip was not aggressive enough so I shaped and masked, applied JB Weld and added 60/90 grit.  Support hand doesn't move at all now.  Real easy to do and I think it looks good.

Grip.JPG

First time I did the SC coating I used JB Weld. Didn't care for it as the consistency was too thick, which made it hard to spread.

About a year and a half ago i did another using the Bob Smith industries mid-cure 15 minute product. Much easier to work with. If doing it when it's cold, warm up the bottles a little by placing them in a pan of heated water before you begin. Makes the epoxy flow easier, especially when using dollar-store foam brushes.

I cut some micro strips of painters tape with a razor blade and covered the gap where the backstrap meets the frame. This allows backstrap removal if needed.

Yeah, it's "permanent" to the extent that if you botched it or don't like the grit courseness you chose, you can always grind it off and start over. No biggy.

If you like "Velcro for your hand" feel, do it! I love it with zero regrets.

Steel is much easier to do when prepped right?

We shoot same squad this Sunday , I can help u about carbide grip

f87ad0a2003814182c421cd40842828a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, 3GN said:

We shoot same squad this Sunday , I can help u about carbide grip

f87ad0a2003814182c421cd40842828a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello. I did not mean to make that into a question. Thank you for the offer though. Have we shot before?

22 hours ago, wdfwguy said:

I was just thinking this might be gripper than the skateboard tape on my SP01 Shadow

And,  it doesn't wear out/off constantly like skateboard tape does...

• 1 month later...

I have switched to BSI slow cure for my SC projects, I like having the long application window and the epoxy naturally wants to self level better than my experiences with JB weld.  A couple of season in and have not seen any premature wear, chipping or cracking.

IMG_8615.jpg.151b54d8117866a9aa0db3816da2c0b8.jpg