Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Silicone Carbide grip tutorial

Jcgatus

Hey everyone, I made a dedicated SC application vid.

So a lot of the videos online are not so clear. I tried to make it as visual as possible. I also included which supplies I used and where I got them from! All in all, it came out to 26 dollars...and ive done it to 3 pistols so far (after handling my buddies, I became a believer). There is a ton of leftover left from the 2lb pack that will enable you to do more if you wish. 

If you have a youtube, please like, subscribe, and share it. Im making videos more catered to uspsa shooting. More specifically, videos that I wish I came across when learning techniques, gun mods, and other things that wouldve saved me monies and time! Theres a bunch of tutorials out there, so Im going with what has not been made yet.

Thank you

Thanks for posting the video.  I’m trying to figure out how to build-up my X5 grip a little more before doing this.  I guess you could let it dry and do multiple layers in places?

What else could you use to add more girth to the grip before doing epoxy/grit?

38 minutes ago, IndyColtsFan said:

Thanks for posting the video.  I’m trying to figure out how to build-up my X5 grip a little more before doing this.  I guess you could let it dry and do multiple layers in places?

Molding putty can do this

On 11/21/2018 at 11:41 AM, Racinready300ex said:

I've done a couple using JB weld and just took my dremel to one and ground it all off to redo it.

That epoxy looks easier to work with for sure.

What was the problem with JB Weld?  Did it provide good adhesion between the media and the grip?

On 11/22/2018 at 5:02 PM, IndyColtsFan said:

What was the problem with JB Weld?  Did it provide good adhesion between the media and the grip?

You have to be careful not to put it on to thick. And because the JB itself is thicker it's hard to spread a really thin even layer. I've done 4 now with JB and it's worked fine but the epoxy in the video looked easier to deal with.

On 11/22/2018 at 4:02 PM, IndyColtsFan said:

Go buy a dozen of the cheap little metal-handled epoxy paint brushes for a few bucks off amazon, and JB Weld works great. Using a finger or a stick? It’s hard to get it even.

I’ve used original slow-cure JB Weld on four guns now. The oldschool stuff that mixes dark gray from a red and a black tube... not the new JB Quick stuff that’s clear.

Has a nice long curing time to fix mistakes, and it’s the right color.

3 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Go buy a dozen of the cheap little metal-handled epoxy paint brushes for a few bucks off amazon, and JB Weld works great. Using a finger or a stick? It’s hard to get it even.

I’ve used original slow-cure JB Weld on four guns now. The oldschool stuff that mixes dark gray from a red and a black tube... not the new JB Quick stuff that’s clear.

Has a nice long curing time to fix mistakes, and it’s the right color.

I've done it with sticks, I'll try a brush next time maybe that will be easier.

JB is certainly bullet proof, I did one that I built up a palm swell on that I've decided to re-purpose for IDPA. So I dremeled off all the JB. It's on there good.

On 11/22/2018 at 5:02 PM, IndyColtsFan said:

Like said, easy to get little ridges and irregularities, not a huge deal.

I may try a brush, thought it'd be too thick to spread that way so I used a piece of polystyrene.

I intentionally didn't prep mine hoping it'd chip off if I hated it, it's flaked by the magwell, a border would've stopped that I think.

@Beef15, regardless of the brand used, you do definitely need to heavily roughen the grip up with a dremel and aanding drum first.

If I like the size of the grip, I’m going very agressive and removing 1/16” to 1/8” of plastic off the surface... otherwise the gun will end up gaining enough bulk that you can feel it. That’s a good thing if you need it, a bad thing if you don’t, so plan for it.

I've had good luck with the epoxy. On M&Ps, I use Talon Grip on the gun and the silicon carbide on the removable part (the back-strap). I can replace those for a few bucks if I sell the gun and whoever buys it doesn't like the super aggressive grip.

I also didn't do any prep other than wiping the parts down with alcohol.

I've also done AR grips, STI plastic 2011 grips, a knife and a soap dish that kept sliding off the shelf in the shower at the gym. All work better than I expected. 

Prep is key. Tape well, maintain any borders and peel the tale off before the epoxy hardens so you can address any high spots.

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2018 at 5:59 PM, IndyColtsFan said:

I used some modeling putty called Apoxie...worked well!