Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Venom Customs!?

IDAHOAASHOOTER

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, MikeRussell said:

Saw that posted on FB the other day and it had me wanting to shoot Open, and I'm a Limited guy. Sweet blaster!

Thanks man! I'm definitely diggin it so far. Gonna get out and shoot it today.

22 hours ago, NickG013 said:

Just got mine yesterday from Don.

635940805_Venom1.thumb.jpg.35ccf3e615b54e715c65f7b351183de3.jpg

Venom 2.jpg

Venom 3.jpg

Wow, that looks awesome! I love it. Is that the same color as mine and a few others? The custom color 1 part of one gray and 3 parts another gray? I love the various grays. Love those slide cuts too. 

Wow, that looks awesome! I love it. Is that the same color as mine and a few others? The custom color 1 part of one gray and 3 parts another gray? I love the various grays. Love those slide cuts too. 

I’m not sure the exact ratio that was used but I know it’s at least one part titanium and one part sniper gray. I really like the medium gray color on it for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, NickG013 said:

I’m not sure the exact ratio that was used but I know it’s at least one part titanium and one part sniper gray. I really like the medium gray color on it for sure.

That’s what mine was also, either 1 part titanium 3 parts sniper or vise versa. Great color. 

That’s what mine was also, either 1 part titanium 3 parts sniper or vise versa. Great color. 

For sure! And this is my first open gun so once I get some trigger time I’m sure I’ll be changing things. I know I’m already not a fan of the *thumb rest [generic]* I have so I’m going to either take it off all together or get a different one.

17 minutes ago, Unregistered said:

Is there a reason you guys went with cerakote over a PVD type of process?

2 reasons for me, cost is a big one . And second, for open guns PVD or any of those type of finishes really isn’t necessary. They don’t go in and out of kydex or any holster material constantly rubbing and wearing the finish where you’ll need some type of crazy finish.

Cerakote has been really durable in my experience, even when using a Kydex holster. I have an open Glock with cerakote that started its life as a carry optics type gun with no comp and I used a kydex holster for over a year, then I converted it to an open gun and ran it out of a safari land 014, which holds just the trigger guard and muzzle for another year or so, and the finish is literally as perfect as the day I had it done. 

2 reasons for me, cost is a big one . And second, for open guns PVD or any of those type of finishes really isn’t necessary. They don’t go in and out of kydex or any holster material constantly rubbing and wearing the finish where you’ll need some type of crazy finish.

Cerakote has been really durable in my experience, even when using a Kydex holster. I have an open Glock with cerakote that started its life as a carry optics type gun with no comp and I used a kydex holster for over a year, then I converted it to an open gun and ran it out of a safari land 014, which holds just the trigger guard and muzzle for another year or so, and the finish is literally as perfect as the day I had it done. 

This. Plus Don is a magician with cerakote.

On 3/9/2019 at 2:27 PM, Jfitz427 said:

How did you like the 014?

1 hour ago, StandardError said:

How did you like the 014?

Honestly it’s my favorite race holster. Out of that, the DAA racer, the ghost ultimate and the 014. It’s the bigger  and bulkier then the rest.  But it doesn’t require a lock like the others do. You just adjust the tension almost like a regular kydex holster. And the gun is rock solid in it. I don’t like having to put the lock on my ghost. Having to flip off a lock during the draw is one more thing to mess up. So allot of times I take the lock off before the start on my ghost but then I worry about the gun falling out. And for starts that you have to move around first I do put the lock on. And I hate it. You don’t have to worry about any of that with the 014. I only have it for my old open Glock. But I’m looking to buy one for my 2011. Great  holster imo

On 3/12/2019 at 8:02 PM, Jfitz427 said:

Honestly it’s my favorite race holster. Out of that, the DAA racer, the ghost ultimate and the 014. It’s the bigger  and bulkier then the rest.  But it doesn’t require a lock like the others do. You just adjust the tension almost like a regular kydex holster. And the gun is rock solid in it. I don’t like having to put the lock on my ghost. Having to flip off a lock during the draw is one more thing to mess up. So allot of times I take the lock off before the start on my ghost but then I worry about the gun falling out. And for starts that you have to move around first I do put the lock on. And I hate it. You don’t have to worry about any of that with the 014. I only have it for my old open Glock. But I’m looking to buy one for my 2011. Great  holster imo

Ok. Then what would you say are the downsides? Not saying that it's bad or good overall but what are some cons I should be aware of?

Edt: Thank you btw. I'm deciding between the 014 and the Everglades holster

Edited by StandardError

I've owned and used the 014, CR Speed, Manny Bragg Magnetic, Double Alpha Race Master, and the Double Alpha X. I'm using the latter now. My second choice would be the 014 - but I found the size and length to be quite the impediment and found it limited my shooting options for low ports especially at IPSC Worlds in 2017. Don't find myself missing the lack of a muzzle support in the alpha-x.

My gun is locked in any holster I use, and simply unlocked after "make ready". But I only shoot IPSC and not 3 gun. Thus, any of the holsters worked for me in that sense.

On 3/13/2019 at 8:20 PM, StandardError said:

Ok. Then what would you say are the downsides? Not saying that it's bad or good overall but what are some cons I should be aware of?

Edt: Thank you btw. I'm deciding between the 014 and the Everglades holster

I don’t think there’s really any cons. It’s a bit more bulky then other holsters since it has the muzzle support. That’s all I can think of. 

Ive put about 1800rds though my gun now and Dons guns just flat out run. The only malfunctions I had was some nose dives in my sti gen 2 mags. Just a few but I fixed that by bringing in the part of the mag where it transitions from double to single stack from .620-.570. Now they work perfect. But zero gun related malfunctions. Not a single failure to eject or anything. It just runs and runs. It’s fast and flat and accurate.

The dot tracking is good, but I think in a month or two I’m going to send don just my barrel and have him put one more hole. I think the dot could be just a little more tamed. 

And I’m debating on ditching the Romeo 1 6 moa for an RTS2. I just hate how short the Romeo is. It’s super wide at 30mm, but quite a bit shorter then other dots at 17mm. The RTS2 and DPP are both 25+mm tall. Closer to my old cmore which I believe is close to 30mm tall. 

I think after I finish the 8lbs of hs6 I have I’m gonna experiment with a different powder. The stuff really is filthy. Before my wife and I moved we really only got to shoot once a week, twice at best. So I had plenty of time to clean my gun in between sessions. Now that I have a range in my back yard I’ve been putting 100-200rds a day though it without much time to clean it and when I do clean it it takes forever. Gonna try a few different powders. Anyone have any suggestions? Auto comp, silhouette, AA7 etc? 

On 3/14/2019 at 7:59 PM, Jfitz427 said:

Ive put about 1800rds though my gun now and Dons guns just flat out run. The only malfunctions I had was some nose dives in my sti gen 2 mags. Just a few but I fixed that by bringing in the part of the mag where it transitions from double to single stack from .620-.570. Now they work perfect. But zero gun related malfunctions. Not a single failure to eject or anything. It just runs and runs. It’s fast and flat and accurate.

The dot tracking is good, but I think in a month or two I’m going to send don just my barrel and have him put one more hole. I think the dot could be just a little more tamed. 

And I’m debating on ditching the Romeo 1 6 moa for an RTS2. I just hate how short the Romeo is. It’s super wide at 30mm, but quite a bit shorter then other dots at 17mm. The RTS2 and DPP are both 25+mm tall. Closer to my old cmore which I believe is close to 30mm tall. 

I think after I finish the 8lbs of hs6 I have I’m gonna experiment with a different powder. The stuff really is filthy. Before my wife and I moved we really only got to shoot once a week, twice at best. So I had plenty of time to clean my gun in between sessions. Now that I have a range in my back yard I’ve been putting 100-200rds a day though it without much time to clean it and when I do clean it it takes forever. Gonna try a few different powders. Anyone have any suggestions? Auto comp, silhouette, AA7 etc? 

I really like 6.9 of SILO, WAC is the same charge but much more violent on the hands I think. AA7 is great, like you said crazy dirty. 

Shoot me a text if be happy to share all my load development data and pictures with ya 

208-960-8752