Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650xl spent primers making a mess

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Original-Dillon-XL-650-Spent-Primer-Catcher-Upgrade/272396247175?epid=520189869&hash=item3f6c14e087:g:ukIAAMXQjq5Q9we1

The hose on this one doesnt kink if you route it so it has a full twist and the right amount of slack.

The one I bought before it that routed down through the table always ended up kinking and clogging.

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Original-Dillon-XL-650-Spent-Primer-Catcher-Upgrade/272396247175?epid=520189869&hash=item3f6c14e087:g:ukIAAMXQjq5Q9we1

The hose on this one doesnt kink if you route it so it has a full twist and the right amount of slack.

The one I bought before it that routed down through the table always ended up kinking and clogging.

^^^^

This is the best way to go.

Spent primers will always bounce a few out of the factory tray. 

I would also upgrade to this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Original-Dillon-XL-650-Missed-LIVE-Primer-Chute-Ski-Jump-Fix-Upgrade-BLUE/272968060181?hash=item3f8e2a0d15:g:gI0AAOSwNSxU3qak:sc:USPSFirstClass!80031!US!-1

I love the gadget part of this hobby!

1 hour ago, HesedTech said:

Unnecessary. If you run a 650 correctly you might as well remove the ramp.

(1) keep a box of a few dozen sized and deprimed cases next to the press. If you pitch a torn case out of the shellplate, put one of those in the second station when needed so you don’t have an empty shellplate, and it won’t spit out a primer.

OR

(2) Learn to lift the primer ratcheting arm as you raise the shellplate: Each time you cycle the press a chrome metal arm hits a black ramp on the press frame, indexing the next primer. If you lift that arm upward with a fingertip as your shellplate moves upward, it won’t feed the next primer... it’ll use that same primer on the downstroke after the next case is presented to it.

I never had any widgets on the ski jump. I never had primers on it, either.

Learn how the press works. ;) 

Best option: (3) Upgrade to a 1050. It’ll continue to present the same primer for 100+ press cycles until a case arrives and finally takes it. Then it’ll feed the next one.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

8 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Unnecessary. If you run a 650 correctly you might as well remove the ramp.

(1) keep a box of a few dozen sized and deprimed cases next to the press. If you pitch a torn case out of the shellplate, put one of those in the second station when needed so you don’t have an empty shellplate, and it won’t spit out a primer.

OR

(2) Learn to lift the primer ratcheting arm as you raise the shellplate: Each time you cycle the press a chrome metal arm hits a black ramp on the press frame, indexing the next primer. If you lift that arm upward with a fingertip as your shellplate moves upward, it won’t feed the next primer... it’ll use that same primer on the downstroke after the next case is presented to it.

I never had any widgets on the ski jump. I never had primers on it, either.

Learn how the press works. ;) 

Best option: (3) Upgrade to a 1050. It’ll continue to present the same primer for 100+ press cycles until a case arrives and finally takes it. Then it’ll feed the next one.

Dude

I love your Tanfoglio tuning info and most of your comments, but this is a bit harsh!

While I’m sure I haven’t loaded as much ammo as you have on my 650, I am at the 30k mark now, so I think I’ve got a working process. 

This is is a hobby and these gadgets are what makes it both fun and interesting, so the comment about learning how the press works needs to be toned down a bit. 

BTW I did purchase a 1050 and had I know what I know now would have skipped the 650. 

Edited by HesedTech

Lay a 9mm or 380 case on the missed primer ramp.  Works as well as any aftermarket add on.

For the spent primer side I fabricated a funnel out of a piece of copper HVAC tubing.  Slipped a tube over the funnel and ran it down and back behind the bench to a bucket.

3 hours ago, HesedTech said:

BTW I did purchase a 1050 and had I know what I know now would have skipped the 650. 

Same here. Very much I would have saved up, or sold the neighbor’s children, and went directly to a 1050.

2 hours ago, Glock021 said:

Lay a 9mm or 380 case on the missed primer ramp.  Works as well as any aftermarket add on.

Oh. Wow. 😂😂

That was obvious.

First post - lurker no longer.

Call me cheap but these work great.

Spent primer chute - 44 mag (rimmed case) with the primer/case head drilled/honed out in place of the tray (case mouth pointed to the floor). Then PVC tube over the mouth of the case, run it to your 20. oz bottle or whatever.

Live primer chute - 12 gauge shell, cut a vertical slit down to the brass, then trim it down a bit (so that the lever just barely clears it). Slide it over the spent primer chute and it will catch up to about 50 or 60 before overflow.

Can provide pics if needed.

1 hour ago, jejb said:

Is there a method to solve this w/o having to use a remote catch container? I'd like to keep using the Dillon catch bin, if at all possible.

While I never tried this, often times putting a thin piece of foam cushion in the bottom of containers stops the bounce when objects are dropped in.

4 hours ago, jejb said:

Is there a method to solve this w/o having to use a remote catch container? I'd like to keep using the Dillon catch bin, if at all possible.

Put some tape around the top of the tray around three sides. Let it stick up a bit and fill the gap.

Problem solved.

Eazy.  Almost free. Take 45LC case or even 357mag will work. Drill it out as large as you can.  Remove old blue cup, and you can slide the case into the black bracket.  Foot or so of tubing the diameter of the case and slide onto the case. Other end in plastic container.  Easy peasy 

Eazy.  Almost free. Take 45LC case or even 357mag will work. Drill it out as large as you can.  Remove old blue cup, and you can slide the case into the black bracket.  Foot or so of tubing the diameter of the case and slide onto the case. Other end in plastic container.  Easy peasy 

Sweet! I’ll give this a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made mine out of a 50AE case, drilled out the bottom and used a hacksaw to cut a couple of slots in the extractor groove, attached a clear vinyl tube that empties into a old powder jug on the floor that I drilled a half inch hole in the lid for the tube

i have no idea how many spent primers are in there, but it weighs around 3-4 lbs

On 11/19/2018 at 6:57 PM, zombywoof said:

Put some tape around the top of the tray around three sides. Let it stick up a bit and fill the gap.

Problem solved.

Exactly what I did.  Put a piece of blue painters tape around the live primer chute making the catch tray a little deeper.

On 11/19/2018 at 5:57 PM, zombywoof said:

Problem solved.

Thanks. I did that, and so far, so good. Couple of inches of Gorilla tape to fix this issue seems like a no brainer!

• 2 weeks later...