Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time to upgrade my stock, suggestions?

Are you looking for for comfort or weight? The simple mil spec on a standard buffer tube is around 10.5 oz. The only thing lighter with any practicality would be a Minimilist on a Vseven 2055 buffer tube, that would be a 9.5 but around 125.00 bucks for the pair. The Lancer is a nice stock, super comfy cheek weld but its not light at 9.9 oz without the tube. Add in another 5 oz for rifle length tube and the spacers needed to get you back to a carbine length buffer depth and it gets to be a pain real fast. Something like a CTR or MOE is gonna come in at about 13-15 oz with the tube. Not really any lighter than your cheapo mil spec. To give you an idea something with pure comfort in mind like an Zulu2 is gonna be 20 oz with the tube. If you gonna add a bit of weight though the stock is not a bad place to do it.

I have a VLTOR A5 length tube on it already.

(I like the longer LOP and the ability to play with the extra space for the buffer.)

So it already has a little extra weight on the back side.

The stock I have now is a cheapie (USA made) copy of the BCM sopmod.

I really like the shape and size.

(I ended up buying another one for the 556 build I was working on) but I would like something a little nicer and lighter for my PCC, if I could find the right one.

I have fixed Magpul stocks on both my 5.56 and PCC.  Just makes it easier to deal with and removes one 'scary' feature for nearby states that have restrictions.  If anyone needs a Mission First collapsible, let me know I have an extra.

Edited by MoRivera

I hate fixed stocks anymore, especially with good lockup like you can get on the CTR and SL. I run the stock out as much as I can get away with on any one particular stage. If It's super close up with hard leans and maybe a transition I don't want it all the way extended, but if it's a medium/long course, I'll run it out.

IMO the king of the heap right now is the SL. TIGHT friction lock, slim, lightweight, recoil pad options. Hard to go wrong. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Startingover said:

I was considering that, as I use the Hogue grips, but they didn't look that much lighter.

Ah, yeah, probably not particularly lightweight...as it has some rubber to it as well.  the ones I've tried don't seem heavy per se, but they certainly weren't like a the Mission First Minimalist.

On 1/31/2019 at 6:31 AM, Startingover said:

I am finally getting around to doing this, so I just ordered the MFT minimalist, to try out. 

It can be moved to another gun, if there is something new and great I should know about.

Thanks for the input on everything, is there any more suggestions?

I think that before a shooter decides on a stock he should first consider how he wants the gun to balance (relative to how it is currently balanced) and proceed forward from there.  If you like the current balance, choose a similarly weighted stock, if you want it more nose heavy you could go as light as a Smoke (already mentioned) or something like a Minimalist, or if you want it lighter feeling on the nose consider something heavier like an Ace/Doublestar SOCOM.  It sounds like you’re looking for lighter; I have a Minimalist on my A5 tubed rimfire and adjusted the cheekweld with some 1/4” thick self-adhesive neoprene off Amazon or eBay... can’t remember which but it worked perfectly.  You probably won’t need to adjust your riser though since mine is on a 10/22 chassis but that’s a solution if you need it.  So good choice!  🙂

Edited by jkrispies
12 hours ago, jkrispies said:

I think that before a shooter decides on a stock he should first consider how he wants the gun to balance (relative to how it is currently balanced) and proceed forward from there.  If you like the current balance, choose a similarly weighted stock, if you want it more nose heavy you could go as light as a Smoke (already mentioned) or something like a Minimalist, or if you want it lighter feeling on the nose consider something heavier like an Ace/Doublestar SOCOM.  It sounds like you’re looking for lighter; I have a Minimalist on my A5 tubed rimfire and adjusted the cheekweld with some 1/4” thick self-adhesive neoprene off Amazon or eBay... can’t remember which but it worked perfectly.  You probably won’t need to adjust your riser though since mine is on a 10/22 chassis but that’s a solution if you need it.  So good choice!  🙂

Good info, thanks for reminding me about the balance.

My main gun is pretty light out front, but this 2nd one I am building now will be pretty heavy when comparing the two.

So I think the MFT will be ok on the 1st gun.

2 hours ago, Startingover said:

Good info, thanks for reminding me about the balance.

My main gun is pretty light out front, but this 2nd one I am building now will be pretty heavy when comparing the two.

So I think the MFT will be ok on the 1st gun.

I have a rifle length SOCOM on my PCC that I love.  It’s heavy, but I think in several good ways.