Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cz tactical sport orange or sti edge both in 40

Looking to shoot limited USPSA . Which pistol would you guys go with never owned either . I like both just can’t decide . Only complaint I have is on cz the slide release location and from what I’ve heard the need to tune mags with a 2011 I have no experience with . 

The CZ TS or TSO are both great limited guns.  Only upgrades that are needed are follower and extended base pad to get you to 20 rounds in the mag.

The STI Edge is a bit more expensive  and will also require updated followers and base pad to get you to 20 rounds in the mag.  Some folks find that their mags need to be 'tuned' in order to feed properly.

I have both pistols and would recommend the CZ, unless you have a compelling reason to get a 2011.  I.e. the 2011 trigger design or ergonomics are preferred, you like to tinker, the ability to run different weight/design grips appeals to you, etc. etc.

Another vote for the TSO. Got one myself.

Get the .40 instead of the 9mm. With the .40, you can buy the barrel and mags later on if you wat to shoot 9mm too. It’s simpler to go from .40 to 9mm compared to going from 9mm to .40.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either one. I have an STI Edge in .40 and love it!  I’ve also hear great things about the TSO. 

Is it possible for you to attend a local match to see if shooters there will let you handle their guns?

the CZs I’ve held have amazing ergonomics, which may be your deciding factor. 

Best at of luck!

Darrell

7 hours ago, dstein said:

Hi George16,

You mention that to convert the 40 to a 9, you just need the barrel and mag.  Would I also need a different recoil spring?  Would it still extract properly?

Thanks!

Depending on the load or ammo your shooting, you might not need to. The TSO comes with 3 recoil springs; 11, 13 and 16.

The 16# comes installed in the gun and can be used with either 9 or .40 without any adverse effects. But you might have to use the lighter spring depending on your ammo or reloads if you do shoot your own reloads.

I know my 9mm TSO didn’t have any problems with factory federal and Winchester ammo with the stock 16# recoil spring when I shot it out of the box.

18 hours ago, dstein said:

Nice!  I had no idea. I shoot an STI Edge in 40 and also want a 9mm Luger.

Curious to know, which division you intend to shoot the 9mm in? 

I shoot USPSA Limited (mostly) and found that my TSO 9mm sits in the safe more than not, as my scores don't show any difference between it and it's .40 big brother.

1 hour ago, muncie21 said:

Curious to know, which division you intend to shoot the 9mm in? 

I shoot USPSA Limited (mostly) and found that my TSO 9mm sits in the safe more than not, as my scores don't show any difference between it and it's .40 big brother.

Limited minor. 

Thanks also for sharing your experience. This is the information I’m looking for. 

TSO is a very nice pistol. It does seem like a lot of people eventually switch to a 2011 platform after shooting in Limited for a while. While its not a TSO I shot a Tanfoglio Limited .40 in Limited this year. Was a blast to shoot but moving back to production. If I were going to stay in Limited Id switch to a 2011 platform. 

In terms of objective quality, I think the only way you're going to see a substantial difference between a TSO and a 2011 is if you're talking about a full-up custom build. So, if you're talking an out-of-the-box TSO against an out-of-the-box Edge, it's going to boil down mostly to personal preference.

Why do I think that? This video explains at least of some of it. It isn't exactly the comparison that OP is making for a few different reasons, but I think it's germane enough to the general "CZ vs. 2011" debate to include here. Initial disclaimers:

• Yes, this is produced by the staff of a custom shop comparing one of their in-house guns to something else. I've met/talked to the Hayes Custom guys on a few different occasions, and they're honest, stand-up guys, but I'd imagine that there's still some level of bias, even if it is completely unconscious.
  • The "2011" in this comparison isn't an actual STI model, but a tricked-out RIA doublestack. So, factor both "STI vs. RIA" and "stock vs. custom" into your interpretation of the results as appropriate (in my limited direct experience, I'd say a stock STI is much nicer than a stock RIA, but that a thoroughly-customized RIA is probably a shade nicer than a stock STI).
  • They're talking about 9 mm for use in 3-gun, not .40 for USPSA, so some of the notes on recoil control, etc. won't be directly applicable to the immediate question at hand.

With that out of the way:

https://youtu.be/LP0eCLXuq0o

To summarize: a slicked-up RIA is considered slightly nicer than a TSO (to the tune of half a point on an arbitrary 10-point scale) by the people who make said slicked-up RIA, mainly because it shoots a bit flatter. With a stock STI Edge, I'd imagine that the results would come out in a wash. No fancy slide cuts means that the 2011 probably isn't going to shoot any flatter than the CZ (and in that case, the advantage might move to the CZ); but the ergonomics are going to be a little bit better on an STI than an RIA, so the advantage that the CZ has in that department will be smaller. It would all come down to personal preference.

I shot a Tactical Sport in USPSA Limited for a couple of years, and considered moving to a 2011 to be like all the cool kids when I got some extra cash on-hand. After looking into it more, I wound up just buying a TSO to have as a backup, since there were marginal (if any) actual quality differences, and I wouldn't have to start from square one on holsters, magazines, etc.

Edited by Steve133

Slide weight comparisons

TS = 14.77oz

1911 = 13.4oz

I'm curious how the lower reciprocating mass shooting 40 major will feel.

Steel PT Evo grip on 2011s have drawn me to the fire.  Hoping that grip and the reciprocating weight reduction help my desk jockey grip be more consistent. 

Ammo loads short for TS and long for 2011s, so it may not be easy to use a different platform as a backup without bringing 2x the ammo.

Slide Weight TS vs 1911.png

• 3 weeks later...

I primarily shoot 2011’s for limited and open as do a majority of my friends I shoot with. I do have a soft spot for cz’s. One of my friends made the leap and offed a edge to get a tso. Phenomenal gun other than the position of safety. Due to the pivot point being farther forward, my friend with rather large mitts and myself with hands towards the smaller side had issue’s with inadvertently activating the safety on the clock. Made the decision to stick with 2011’s much easier. I’d recommend trying to put rounds through both if possible before deciding which one is right for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk