Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Iron to Dot and back......

mont1120

This year I switched from Limited 10 to Carry Optics due to aging eyes. I am just a C level shooter, but I enjoy the sport immensely and love to compete. At the range this week I am focused on getting ready for the  Western States Single Stack match in Feb. Got ye ol Kimber .45 (yes, I said Kimber), and started with Bill drills and the Dot torture test. Well, I shot like a Q class shooter with blinders. As I stood there wondering what was wrong with the 1911, I tried a few more rounds, and discovered the root cause of the issue.

I had gotten out of the habit of shooting with my eyes focused on the front sight. I clearly was focusing as though I was trying to find the red dot and then acquire the target. It doesn't take long to change completely how your whole approach and system changes shooting different platforms.

Jumping around between classes is not as easy as I had thought. That and getting old has given me a great appreciation of the training and ability to cross platforms and classes. We surely get ingrained in habits, both good and bad.