Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I might be hooked,need advice.

sandrooney

I went to the range the other day with a friend to spend the day shooting pistols, rifles and shotguns. We both shoot USPSA. He brought along his Silver Pigeon 20 gauge O/U and we went over to the skeet range and shot some clays. Most fun I have had in a while. I am thinking of an entry level SG and have been looking at the Mossberg Silver Reserve 2 Sport O/U 30" 20 Ga. or the Mossberg 930 Sporting 30" 12 GA.. I don't want to spend a lot of money till I am sure I want to get into this. Any advice on these two SG's or other's in the under a thousand dollar range would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot

SR

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do your self a huge favor and don’t get a cheap over-under shotgun. They are more trouble than they are worth. I tried that route and learned the hard way. 

I now own a 12 gauge Browning Citori. Easy to find a good used one for about $1000. 

You don’t need a Kreighoff or Pardini to enjoy clays but you do need a durable shotgun. Steoeger won’t hold up to the high round counts without replacing some parts. Neither are any of the rebranded Turkish Huglu guns. 

Save a little longer and buy a quality gun. Browning or Beretta are quite popular on the fields around here. 

In the mean time, get a 20 gauge 870 express for less than $300 at Academy Sports and have at it. I have shot some of my best scores with my 870 hunting gun. I just hate picking up hulls. 

14 hours ago, practical_man said:

Do your self a huge favor and don’t get a cheap over-under shotgun. They are more trouble than they are worth. I tried that route and learned the hard way. 

I now own a 12 gauge Browning Citori. Easy to find a good used one for about $1000. 

You don’t need a Kreighoff or Pardini to enjoy clays but you do need a durable shotgun. Steoeger won’t hold up to the high round counts without replacing some parts. Neither are any of the rebranded Turkish Huglu guns. 

Save a little longer and buy a quality gun. Browning or Beretta are quite popular on the fields around here. 

In the mean time, get a 20 gauge 870 express for less than $300 at Academy Sports and have at it. I have shot some of my best scores with my 870 hunting gun. I just hate picking up hulls. amen, the cheap guns will either cost you when they break, or when you try and resell them. a quality gun that fits you is what you seek. if keeping costs down, a used browning will do the deed.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:51 AM, practical_man said:

In the mean time, get a 20 gauge 870 express for less than $300 at Academy Sports and have at it. I have shot some of my best scores with my 870 hunting gun. I just hate picking up hulls. 

I think this may be the route I will take. Thanks

35 minutes ago, sandrooney said:

I think this may be the route I will take. Thanks

Be sure to come back and tell us how it works out. 

Also, start buying shells by the case when they are on sale. Natchez frequently offers free shipping and good prices. Rogers is another good source for us. If you pay close attention you can get Remington or Federal target loads delivered to your door for less than $6 per box when you buy a flat at a time. Remington Gun Club is a good shell and reloadable. Same for Federal Gold Medal.  I like those hills better than the 2 piece Winchester AA or any of the hills with paper base wads. 

I usually stick with 7-1/2 or 8 shot. The 7-1/2 can be used for close range small bird hunting. Not for pheasant or ducks, but absolutely for dove and quail. 

Enjoy. Shotgun sports are both fun and frustrating. The best part is getting in with a good squad that will coach you and offer good natured support (sometimes teasing). The social aspect of shooting sports is just great. Ignore the curmudgeons. Have fun. 

Skip the pump gun and get an auto, imagine racking the slide between shots with a pistol! It's 2018.

Get an auto as I stated earlier and have some fun, getting beat up by a cheap pump gun will end the fun rather quick, and so will a lesser priced break-action. FYI pardini makes hand guns, but not shotguns to my knowledge.

Edited by phil plesetz
grammar.

4 hours ago, phil plesetz said:

... FYI pardini makes hand guns, but not shotguns to my knowledge.

Maybe something else that is Italian and starts with P ... Perazzi?

A durable and high quality shotgun would be nice, but the price will go up from cheap Remingtons and such. Italians make good shotguns with all action types. Benelli and Beretta, for example. Thing is, even the plain ones cost more than any cheap shotgun - unless you get a great deal on a second hand one.

I only shoot trap with my 82-year old Father but have worked through several guns... the best deal is to go onto one of the specialty forums just like this one but for clays. Then buy a good used name brand quality gun from a trusted member. 

I've had several Berettas, now I shoot a Browning BT99 (single shot, not for anything but trap) with all the adjustable add-ons. Always paid half price. If you want to spend a bit more you can get higher end guns for a song. 

They have trends just like we do, one year longer barrels will be popular and all the short barrel guns go cheap, then the reverse happens. Buy something slightly out of step and you'll do even better. 

8 hours ago, sandrooney said:

What do you guys think of the Citori Satin Hunter 12 gauge with 28" barrels?

Thanks

The Citori line are all very similar. Differences are minor in barrel length and rib height/‘width. 

I have a Lightening Citori with 30” ported barrels. It’s been a good all arounder for skeet, trap, and sporting clays. 

Barrel length is very much personal preference. I think stock fit is more important for a shotgun. I eventually had Graco adjustable hardware put in my stock and that definitely helped consistency. 

Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon I Sporting should be good. All the important stuff but not too many frills. As long as you feel OK about the barrel length.

I'd definitely go for a 12: better availability of ammunition and you can get very light loads if that is what you want.

12 hours ago, sandrooney said:

I stopped in at Cabela's yesterday and handled some shotguns and fell in love with the Silver Pigeon Sporting 1 30". Do I get it in 20 or 12 is the question?

Thanks a lot for all the help.

SR

If it’s going to be your one and only, get the 12 gauge. You can get sub cal tubes for registered skeet (which is what most people do now.) Briley makes good tubes. 

if its its for the field, then 20 is more attractive only if the frame is smaller and lighter.