Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SLR Sentry Gas Block

SlvrDragon50

Backstory: when I first built this rifle-length rifle w/ an SLR gas block, it was a single shot rifle even with the gas block opened up all the way. I rebuilt it, took it back to the range, and eventually it started working after I fired a 10-20 rounds like the bolt stopped getting stuck/broken in. Shot an entire season of 3 gun with absolutely zero problems. 

I recently adjusted the gas block adjustment screw just to make sure it wasn't frozen, and I took friend to the range to shoot. It shot the 22 LR absolutely no problem. I was embarrassed when my $1500 rifle was basically a single shot rifle, and I have aboslutely no clue why it stopped work. I opened up the gas all the way, and the shells were barely ejecting 4 o' clock. When I closed the gas block all the way, it didn't cycle as expected. Any suggestions on how to resolve this? The thing that really confuses me is that I didn't move the gas block, I only adjusted the screw so I can't see how the gas port could get obstructed or anything unless it knocked something loose into the port?

It's less than a year. I plan on contacting SLR tomorrow, was just trying to see if there's anything I can do before I call them so I don't sound like a fool. Worst case, I'll drive over to SLR and have them look at it. Fewer than 1k rounds total.

Edited by SlvrDragon50

Your last sentence may be the problem.... adjusting the set screw could have caused build up behind the screw to come loose and create a blockage in the tube.... may try plugging and injecting compressed air into the barrel to blow anything that’s hung  in the tube out.

7 hours ago, Hawk21 said:

Your last sentence may be the problem.... adjusting the set screw could have caused build up behind the screw to come loose and create a blockage in the tube.... may try plugging and injecting compressed air into the barrel to blow anything that’s hung  in the tube out.

Alright, I'll give that a shot. Unfortunately don't know if I'll be able to test it before I fly out to Houston next! I'm assuming I should just take out the BCG and charging handle, plug the feed ramp side and wrap the brake with like a cloth or something? I figured shooting 30-40 rounds of 223 through the rifle should have been enough to clear out any blockages.

Thanks

Are you using copper plated .22lr if not the tube could be fouled up pretty good?  I use silicone plugs I got off amazon and bored a hole for the air gun.  Best of luck getting it figured out nothing worse than a semi auto chassis that’s relegated to bolt action status.

9 hours ago, Hawk21 said:

Are you using copper plated .22lr if not the tube could be fouled up pretty good?  I use silicone plugs I got off amazon and bored a hole for the air gun.  Best of luck getting it figured out nothing worse than a semi auto chassis that’s relegated to bolt action status.

Oh dang, I didn't think about that. Normally w/ my .22LR, I use copper plated rounds. I flew down to FL so I just used my friend's 22LR, but he had Remington Thunderbolts. We only shot maybe 100 or so 22 anyways, and I closed the adjustment screw (as far as I could, it might have been caked in so much carbon that it was stuck partially open). I only have about 11 adjustments out of 15 so it'd make sense that the 22LR might have messed it up.

I think Home Depot sells rubber/silicone plugs so I'll pay a visit to the store today.

3 hours ago, NoKimberDave said:

If it was thunderbolts, I can just about promise you that it is a severe leading problem. In tube or gas port or barrel or all of the above.

By far the worst .22 ammo known to man! Seriously: it's terrible.

Dang had no clue it would lead up that quickly!!! Every other time I've shot 22 it was with Federal Automatch which is pretty clean I believe. Is compressed gas going to be enough to clear it out? Should I do more intensive cleaning? I have some Gunslick foam bore cleaner I can use. I have extremely limited experience with AR15 gunsmithing so I don't really know all the troubleshooting steps.

Edited by SlvrDragon50

17 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Dang had no clue it would lead up that quickly!!! Every other time I've shot 22 it was with Federal Automatch which is pretty clean I believe. Is compressed gas going to be enough to clear it out? Should I do more intensive cleaning? I have some Gunslick foam bore cleaner I can use. I have extremely limited experience with AR15 gunsmithing so I don't really know all the troubleshooting steps.

I leaded a 10/22 practically completely closed in less than 50 rounds. Started noticing keyholing, and when I examined bore I couldn't get just a thin rod through it!

Took a lot to get it out, and it came out in big chunks.

I'd be most worried about it in the tube and gas port area. Wouldn't surprise me if a bunch if you could shoot it out with 5.56. But I would have a look at the bore first.

Do a search on thunderbolts and it will be an eye opener!

Oof okay. I took off my gas block, and the gas port looked alright, but I have no clue about the tube since I couldn't take off my comp to pull the tube out. Might look to buy a new tube as well.

SLR is sending me a new gas block, but I'll try the rifle again next week now that I've removed and replace the block. Maybe it dislodged some stuff? I did see that the gas blast circle thingy wasn't perfectly centered on the gas port, but it wasn't that far off. 

My friends were looking forward to shooting the rifle fast, but I let them down :( At least they got to shoot a comp'd rifle for the first time!

Edited by SlvrDragon50

Slvr with Black Friday looming I’m going to make a suggestion that you build a dedicated 22 upper.  This way your competition rifles reliability won’t be compromised.  

For less than 2x what you paid for that fancy gas block you could be in business.😂

Edited by Hawk21

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 7:16 PM, Hawk21 said:

Slvr with Black Friday looming I’m going to make a suggestion that you build a dedicated 22 upper.  This way your competition rifles reliability won’t be compromised.  

For less than 2x what you paid for that fancy gas block you could be in business.😂

Hah, I am definitely thinking about it now. SLR sent me a replacement gas block, and I saw that the original gas adjustment screw got damaged. Somehow the metal like sheared so the screw can't completely close.

That said, the gas tube appears to be pretty clear on the outside, no clue if there's a blockage on the inside, but that seems pretty unlikely doesn't it? I want to build a replacement upper, but I think I'd still be looking around $300 for a complete upper. I really want to keep the same handguard to keep the same feel, but I don't think it's possible since the SLR Helix costs so much. Might go with a cheap <$100 handguard.

edit: Just ran water through the tube, so it'sd efinitely not blocked. I was thinking about using a new gas tube, but I think this one is okay.

Edited by SlvrDragon50

I look at gas tubes as a maintenance item, the melonnite  tubes clean easier than a stainless tube. I clean my gas tube with a shot or two of brake clean, then a couple blasts of compressed air. Then go through and clean the rest of the upper/barrel.

• 5 weeks later...

Just a tip with the SLR gas block, you are supposed to close it 100% before cleaning the barrel, then reopen it each time. You can put a drop of oil on the screw. That’s about all I’ve done, and mine has been flawless for almost 2 years now. I’m not trying to say that would have prevented whatever happened, just that going forward it will be good to follow that procedure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a tip with the SLR gas block, you are supposed to close it 100% before cleaning the barrel, then reopen it each time. You can put a drop of oil on the screw. That’s about all I’ve done, and mine has been flawless for almost 2 years now. I’m not trying to say that would have prevented whatever happened, just that going forward it will be good to follow that procedure

I also should add that you’re supposed to keep the port 100% closed when shooting .22 ammo with the SLR Sentry AGB