Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
orangeride

G34 gen4 mos slight issue

I’m running leupold ddp, 13lbs spring on steel rod, 147gr bear creek moly with 3gr tg.  90-95% of my empty’s are hitting the front of my optic when the slide come forward. It throw the empty’s about 6-8’ straight forward. The glass hasn’t scratched yet but the aluminum part is looking beat up. My main issue is the lens get real dirty quick and I’m sure it will scratch the glass sooner for later. Anyone else have this issue? Where you able to fix it? I have a very tight and solid grip so that’s no the issue. My load runs about 900fps in my gun. 

I have the same issue with a stock g17 gen 3. Vortex venom and egw dovetail Mount. Love the setup but the aluminium housing of the red dot really gets beat up. Glass doesn’t have a scratch though even though it gets hit a lot. I think there was a way to fix it by changing the extractor and or ejector but I just haven’t bothered.

The vortex seems to be a tough optic.

Would be good if there were some sort of polymer shroud available.

Edited by franky72
Wrong wording

Good to know I’m not the only one. I ordered the new gen5/19x trigger housing and gen 5 extractor (I’m not sure if the extractor is different). I’ll let you know if it helps. 

I do think part of my problem is the light loads. My g20 with the same dot slings to brass and I have no issues 

My loads are running at around 136 power factor with a 125 grain projectile and I have grip tape and a tight grip on the gun but the optic still gets hit. On the bright side the optic is still going strong at around five thousand rounds. I’m impressed with vortex however have heard good things about the delta point. Vortex seems to make a great product though.

I had some luck changing to a lighter recoil spring. I run a 13lb spring on my 34mos, and a buddy suggested going even lower to 11lbs

I heard about the apex extractor fixing the issue but ipsc production optics doesn’t allow aftermarket parts so I just left it. 

Some sort of a thin shroud would be good to prevent damage to the glass housing.

Tape seems to do a good job of protecting the vortex on a MOS that I use. Black tape doesn't even look like it is there.

Try changing the recoil spring to an 11 or 12. Could also try messing with the extractor spring if you can’t change the extractor itself. A 5lb wolff striker spring would be very reliable if you need to change that spring.

Edited by Tnbb33

Quick update. I installed the gen 5 ejector in my gun. I saw an  immediate improvement. In 66 rounds it only hit the sight twice. I then swapped in a gen5 extractor, I then proceeded to shoot 200 rounds without a single piece of brass hitting the sight. I could tell the gen5 extractor them the empty’s with a little more authority. All empty’s went into a nice pile. The only ones that were a little off was the last round on a empty mag. 

Occasionally I have gotten one of the MIM extractors that needed a little polishing to operate smoothly. You might try polishing the top and bottom of the old extractor to see if that smooths out the operation and makes it salvageable. If there are any burs on it remove those then polish. I usually progress from 600-2400  grit paper on a flat surface.