Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Being Trapped By Our Own System

John Heiter

I hate it when someone admits to being a serial killer and rapist of men, women, and children and our system won't let us do the right thing. I hate the idea that someone who is sentenced to "life in prison" can be elligible for parole in a few years and that the only reason this guy will probably die in prison is that he killed enough people that his consecutive life sentences add up to a statistical improbability. I hate the fact that garbage like this will now get appeals, room and board at taxpayer expense while he negotiates book and movie deals. I don't have any sort of dog in this hunt but it just doesn't seem like justice to me and I feel for the families of all the victims.

By the time a death sentence is carried out, everyone except those directly effected by the act warranting the sentence have forgotten all about it. This really keeps it from being an effective deterrent. It's like beating your dog for the crap he left on your rug a month ago.

On July 8th, 1988, a Maryland prison escapee named Clarence James Jones murdered Tallahassee Police Officer Earnest Ponce de Leon. Jones was found to have AIDS while he was in the Leon County Jail. He was given the death sentence, yet we are still feeding him expensive AIDS drugs to keep him healthy enough so we can kill him. He was a PRISON ESCAPEE AT THE TIME, YET HE STILL BREATHES!!!

How long before his next prison escape attempt is successful? Who will he murder next to stay out of jail?

My take on it has always been that prison should be a punishment, much like the State Pen they have out in the desert in (I think it is...) AZ. No A/C. No TV. Hard physical labor 12 hours a day. Enough food and water to live by, but no extras. No visits by any family or friends of any sort. No cigarettes, no cash, no anything. Period. No early parole for good behavior. Inmate labor is sold it local farmers, if appropriate, to pay for the inmate's keep. How many do you think will want to risk coming back to that?? Probably not as many...

Those who commit a capitol offense (to include murder, rape, child molestation, etc) where there is incontrovertable evidence (ie, they must be convicted on more than circumstantial evidence) will get 1 year to make 1 appeal. If they fail the appeal, they are taken out back and hung publically.

I don't like the idea of paying $50K+ per year to keep people alive who don't deserve to live, personally....

Of course, I'm a bit draconian, so.... ;) There are also things that are currently crimes that I don't think should be, and therefore wouldn't get the above stuff meted out for violation, but....

I liked it when Britain said "we don't like what you guys are doing so get out" - they had the balls to make it stick too.

I like it in China where they say "If you bring drugs into our country we will kill you"

The only good thing about the BTK deal is that he'll never profit off of books and rights. The families are sueing the hell out of him not to get any cash (because he has none) but so that when he does his book deal and his movie deal that he won't see any profits.

The saddest thing is that movies and books will be written, and people will show their support of this insanity by paying their hard earned dollars to read and see them.

Most of us in this forum are pretty conservative so the statement about being born 100 years too late is definitly accurate for me. Tall tree, short rope, problem solved. Can't wait for the next 100 years. Isn't it funny, eventually communism will rule the world again. Our countries tendency that way these days simply scares the hell out of me.

J

Human beings don't learn from history. We're following essentially the same path of every other Republic through the ages :( While the technology level is completely different, we're starting to look an awful lot like Rome, these days....