Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leg amputee shooters?

I know, odd question, I have a condition that is going to require a below the knee amputation. Just wondering if there are any other shooters, with any experience shooting with a prosthetic leg.

I am an average shooter C class limited, once I can move forward physically I'm sure I will be able to make B or even A. My surgery is happening in my the next few weeks. Thanks in advance, Kevin Kissel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Kevin, I hope you are doing well. I want to share a couple of stories about  amputee shooters. I first met Sgt. James Gill  at the 2012 FNH  3 gun match. He shot the stage I was working pretty well, but it was obvious most of his teammates were faster movers because of his prosthetic leg. The following year I was working a different stage where the shooter had to move downhill. Sgt. Gill shot that stage so well, I forgot he was an amputee until he came back up the hill. 

The other story was about another shooter who was a double amputee who shot the same match. On a different stage the free fire zone was shaped like a baseball diamond. From first base you shot with a shotgun, second base was rifle at about 200 yards at small targets and third base was pistol. You had to have your foot on the base while shooting. This fellow got to second base, sat down, took off his prosthetic leg, put it on the base and used it as a monopod. Nailed the targets quicker then hell. Put it back on and continued the course of fire.

Here's a link to a youtube story on James Gill https://youtu.be/VHA1smnyVws

Just wanted to share these stories and wish you well.

I'm in the hospital now, hopefully get out soon. I had left below the knee amputation on December 7th. I came back to er last Monday, surgery for infection on Friday. Would love to be home for the holidays.

11 minutes ago, kk4364 said:

I'm in the hospital now, hopefully get out soon. I had left below the knee amputation on December 7th. I came back to er last Monday, surgery for infection on Friday. Would love to be home for the holidays.

Hi  Kevin, 

I'm Russ..Good to meet you (virtually). There are a few dudes that hang out and shoot matches at my local club and they seem to do very well. 

I hope you recover quickly and get back to doing the things you enjoy. 

Best, 

Russ