Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The 2019 IPSC Rifle World Shoot will be held in Karlskoga, Sweden, home town of Nobel Price founder Alfred Nobel.

Main Match dates: 3. to 10. August 2019

Match webpage: https://rws2019.com/

Coordinates of Villingsberg's shooting range: https://www.google.no/maps/place/59.2894N,14.7042E 59.2894 N ,14.7042 E (decimal), 59°17'22"N 14°42'15"E

Which U.S. shooters will go?

What are your favorites for the match, and who do you predict will win?

The last Rifle World Shoot was held in Russia 2017, and the current champions are:

Open Overall: Teemu Rintala (Finland)
Lady: Lena Miculek (USA)
Senior: Jose Vidanes (USA)
Super Senior: Jerry Miculek (USA)

Open Team: Finland

Standard Overall: Håvard Østgaard (Norway)
Lady: Anastasiya Tereshina (Russia)
Senior: Mikael Kaislaranta (Finland)
Super Senior: Antonin Navratil (Czech Republic)

Standard Team: Finland

Manual Overall: Roman Khalitov (Russia)
Lady: Alena Karelina (Russia)
Senior: Ramazan Mubarakov (Russia)
Super Senior: Peter Starley (Great Britain)

Manual Team: Russia

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The South African Practical Shooting Association has announced its preliminary team members for the World Shoot: http://sapsa.co.za/2019-rifle-world-shoot-slots/ 

Open: Gerrit-Jan Bakker, Andre du Toit, Ronald Gower, Yung Tsao

Standard: Demis Karamitsos, Piet van Wyk, Terry Calivitis, Wesley Visser

Senior Open: Dirk Becker, Julian Lincow, Ernst Heydenrych, Davin Giles

Super Senior Open: Carlo Belletti, Jan van den Berg

Each IPSC region will be given their exact number of slots officially in early January 2019, and the number will be based on IPSC membership numbers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We didn't have anyone in manual.  I ended up being the only US competitor in Standard.

I saw a combination of rifles to include a variation of the Remington 7600 (it may have been a 7615P), a custom Remington 700 in 308 complete with S&B PM II scope, and at least one Enfield.  Of course the Russians were using the pump action AK variant.

Pics:

The Rem belonged to the RO

AK on the sight in range

The Loaner (which I was grateful to get a chance to shoot due to my poor flight planning).

AK.jpg

Loaner.jpg

Remington.jpg

Edited by ShootfastRunfaster
add pics

• 2 weeks later...

Pumps and straight pulls seems to have been the recipe from the last World Shoot, but a bolt action may also be really competitive if the ergonomics of the grip and bolt placement are right.

The Russians who took first and second place in Manual used the Kalashnikov KSZ-223, which is a combined pump action and straight pull rifle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY5P_RIWRM4

The Swede who took bronze used a Troy PAR with a Zeiss 1-8 scope and an Aimpoint side mounted red dot.

https://www.facebook.com/caliber44varberg/posts/1415941711828181

I think Remington 7615 has been popular with Australian shooters. The IPSC Nordic Rifle Championship in 2016 was won with a SIG Sauer bolt action wth a Swarovski 1-8 scope.

Edited by 2Xalpha

Here are some of my potential favorites

Open
This is where all the heat is! The Finns have at least three, or maybe four, or six solid shooters who can take it. The clear favorites are Teemu Rintala, Raine Peltokoski and Jarkko Laukia, but not in any particular order. Kim Leppänen is another top tier Finn with some solid IPSC Shotgun performances under his belt, and maybe 2019 will be the year when he breaks through at the top of rifle shooting? Tuukka Jokinen and Hannu Uronen are some other Finns who are Top Guns if able to peak their performances.

U.S. shooter Tim Yackley just made it into top ten at the last Rifle World Shoot in 2017, and went on to the 2018 USPSA Multigun Nationals the year after taking 2nd place in the Tactical division, arguably the hottest MultiGun division. Tim will be exciting to watch, and although a little hard to predict, he might take it all the way to the top.

Some other contenders from the previous top ten
- Vaclav Vinduska, the Czech pistol, rifle and shotgun multitalent
- The Russians Sergey Orlov and Gleb Svatikov
- Rastislav Korba (Slovakia)
- Martin Humar (Slovenia)
- Olle Ackehed (Sweden)

I would also love to see Daniel Horner and other U.S. top shooters such as Josh Froelich, Scott Greene, Todd Jarrett and Brian Nelson.

Open division Lady category
The U.S. ladies are favorites here. Lena Miculek is still my favorite, but she only won with 4 % down to fellow U.S. teammate Ashley Rheuark at the last Rifle World Shoot. Maria Gushchina from Russia has been dominating pistol lately, and it will be interesting to see if she can step up her rifle game too, giving the American women some serious competition.

Open division Super Senior category
Jerry Miculek is a pretty clear favorite here since he won by over 10 % at the last World Shoot. I don't know who will be able to threaten him, but maybe the previous podium finishers Pertti Karhunen (Finland) or Peter Kressibucher (Switzerland) are the best bet.

Open division Senior category
At RWS 2017, the Senior Open had the tightest Category Podium across all divisions, with Jose Vidanes winning in front of Armin Meesit of Estonia at 96.8 %, the previous European Champion from 2015, and U.S. Jeffrey Cramblit placed third at 94.16 %. Difficult to have a clear favorite here, so I'm going to leave this one open.

Standard
At the last World Shoot, Håvard Østgaard from Norway dominated the iron sight division, pushing most of his competitors down below the 90 % line. Sami Hautamäki from Finland was somewhat close down at 2nd place with 94.2 %, and he has, from what I've heard, put on some solid performances in other matches since. The only other two compeetitors who managed to stay within the 90 % line were his fellow Finnish teammates Timo Vehvilainen (down to bronze at 90.57%) and Isto Hyyrylainen (4th at 90.16 %).

Håvard Østgaard is my favorite, but keep in mind that Sami Hautamäki IS the reigning Nordic Champion from 2018. There are also quite a few good Russian iron sight shooters, as well as some other Norwegian outsiders. It will also be interesting to see if the U.S. can scramble some Standard competitors, and if they are able to adjust from shooting 1x optics?

Manual

At the last Rifle World Shoot, this division was won by Russian shotgun guru Roman Khalitov, right in front of fellow Russian Egor Khramov 2nd at 98.54 % and Erik Bjaelkvall from Sweden at 3rd with 95.73 %.

Still young, Roman can also showcase an Open division silver medal from the 2015 Shotgun World Shoot, and strong 5th place from the 2018 Shotgun World Shoot. He has the player strength and experience, and will be my favorite for the Manual division. It will be interesting to see if he can perform once again.

There's a lot of excitement around the Manual division this year. A lot of innovation around equipment took place at the last World Shoot, will there be any new prototypes at this World Shoot? And even though the rest of the top ten was packed with Russians last time, the Manual division has grown somewhat popular in Scandinavia, so I expect to see some competitors from Norway, Sweden and Denmark. I think it's fair to say that the Manual division has some unleashed potential and is open for innovation.

I'm pretty sure that the U.S. has at least one  guy who has won the Nordic in standard, and was 3rd overall and first senior at the first Euro Rifle, and has been senior champ at  the Nordic and 4th place in standard, and I'm pretty sure he is and always has shot iron sights and not a red dot. 

Edited by kurtm

51 minutes ago, kurtm said:

I'm pretty sure that the U.S. has at least one  guy who has won the Nordic in standard, and was 3rd overall and first senior at the first Euro Rifle, and has been senior champ at  the Nordic and 4th place in standard, and I'm pretty sure he is and always has shot iron sights and not a red dot. 

Who is that goob? Still so far behind the "times"...

5 hours ago, kurtm said:

I'm pretty sure that the U.S. has at least one  guy who has won the Nordic in standard, and was 3rd overall and first senior at the first Euro Rifle, and has been senior champ at  the Nordic and 4th place in standard, and I'm pretty sure he is and always has shot iron sights and not a red dot

I know that guy!

5 hours ago, kurtm said:

Hadn't made a prediction for Standard Senior yet. ;) There are so many to choose from. While one intuitively would think that those more experienced (read: older shooters) would swtich over to the optics division, the Senior category in Standard division actually packs a lot of heat!

Kurt Miller (USA) is one of the favorites, and as said, he became the Standard Senior match winner at the 2009 European Rifle Championship, but not title winner since he competed for the U.S.

The last World Shoot winner was Mikael Kaislaranta (Finland), with Jan Palka (Slovakia) in a close second at 97.47 %, so those are my favorites.

Sverre Idland (Norway) is also a merited outsider with a huge track record.

• 3 weeks later...

According to this article from 7 January, Josh Froelich and Dakota Overland are preparing for the 2019 Rifle World Shoot.

(https://www.womenandguns.com/dakota-overland-signs-with-jp-enterprises-for-2-more-years/ Dakota Overland Signs with JP Enterprises for 2 More Years)

15-year-old Dakota took an impressive third place in the Standard division Lady category at the previous Shotgun World Shoot. Recently her sponsorship with JP Enterprises was renewed for two more years.

• 2 weeks later...

It is confirmed that Lena Miculek is going. 

50754287_1255925947905853_25781367588897

Irene Canetta is also going, She's the Lady Open gold medalist from the 2015 IPSC European Rifle Championship in front of Maria Gushchina. Irene also has two Open division Shotgun World Shoot silver medals. Will be interesting to see them all compete in the same division.

52065876_1271322559699525_56577896978128

• 3 months later...

The competitor list has been released: https://rws2019.com/registered-competitors/

Here are some quick analysis based on the news.

Major?

Interestingly, it looks like about 10 of the Open shooters will be shooting Major, some of these being Tim Yackley and Trapr Swonson. This probably means some of the said shooters will be entering using .300 BLK instead of .223 Rem like the rest of the field.

The American Women

At the USPSA Multigun Nationals, Rebecca Yackley came close to Lena Miculek with 93.97% in the Lady Open division. While it's difficult to compare across divisions, I would however say that the 85.31% Overall that Ashely Rheuark accomplished in the Tactical division seems like a stronger performance. At the IPSC World Shoot they will all compete against each other in the Open divison, so if you ask me Ashley should be seeded as Number One in the Lady Open division.

A strong team, at least! However, the Norwegian, Swedish and Russian teams should not be underestimated

The American Juniors

Riley Kropff (USA) won Limited division Overall at this year's USPSA Multigun Nationals, and may therefore be a favorite to challenge the reigning 2017 Junior World Champ Andrei Kalinin (Russia), still competing in the Junior category this year.

The Overalls

It seems like Daniel Horner and Josh Froelich will not be going (?), but Scott Greene and Tim Yackley are. When it comes to the Overall in Open and Standard, however: Sorry guys, either the Finns or Norwegians are going to take this. Or else I'll have to go and eat my hat! 😮

Also, I found it a little weird to see that Jerry Miculek has been entered as a Senior, since he should be eligble for Super Senior. Either it's a mistake, or maybe he's getting younger?

On 6/9/2019 at 8:51 PM, 2Xalpha said:

The competitor list has been released: https://rws2019.com/registered-competitors/

Here are some quick analysis based on the news.

Major?

Interestingly, it looks like about 10 of the Open shooters will be shooting Major, some of these being Tim Yackley and Trapr Swonson. This probably means some of the said shooters will be entering using .300 BLK instead of .223 Rem like the rest of the field.

The American Women

At the USPSA Multigun Nationals, Rebecca Yackley came close to Lena Miculek with 93.97% in the Lady Open division. While it's difficult to compare across divisions, I would however say that the 85.31% Overall that Ashely Rheuark accomplished in the Tactical division seems like a stronger performance. At the IPSC World Shoot they will all compete against each other in the Open divison, so if you ask me Ashley should be seeded as Number One in the Lady Open division.

A strong team, at least! However, the Norwegian, Swedish and Russian teams should not be underestimated

The American Juniors

Riley Kropff (USA) won Limited division Overall at this year's USPSA Multigun Nationals, and may therefore be a favorite to challenge the reigning 2017 Junior World Champ Andrei Kalinin (Russia), still competing in the Junior category this year.

The Overalls

It seems like Daniel Horner and Josh Froelich will not be going (?), but Scott Greene and Tim Yackley are. When it comes to the Overall in Open and Standard, however: Sorry guys, either the Finns or Norwegians are going to take this. Or else I'll have to go and eat my hat! 😮

Also, I found it a little weird to see that Jerry Miculek has been entered as a Senior, since he should be eligble for Super Senior. Either it's a mistake, or maybe he's getting younger?

More interesting than both Josh Froelich and Daniel Horner not attending is the current USPSA PCC Champ Max Leograndis not even being on the official team. 

10 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

More interesting than both Josh Froelich and Daniel Horner not attending is the current USPSA PCC Champ Max Leograndis not even being on the official team. 

Not saying he wouldn't be a good choice, but PCC is a VERY different game.

• 4 weeks later...