Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone reload 45LC? Looking for some Cowboy/low recoil load suggestions using componets that I already have

techj

So, I recently acquired an SAA with a 5 1/2" barrel.  A friend of mine gave a substantial quantity of Oregon Trail Laser-Cut 200 & 250 gr RNFP bullets.

I am looking for suggestions on a Cowboy/low recoil load using components (aforementioned bullets and powders below) that I already have rather than buying new.

The powders that I have are Bullseye, AA#5, Zip, True Blue and Silhouette.

The loads will not be for competition but for plinking, limited to a maximum of 25 yards.

Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.

I use 45 Cowboy brass and then low 45 ACP data. Probably go with your BE powder. You didnt mention already having brass. Smaller case makes light loading easier. Basically it is a brass with the length of 45 ACP but a 45 colt base. You will have to check your cylinder throats, and barrel grooves to determine which sizing die and bullet size to use .Depending on when and where your gun was made sizing could be any where from 451 to 454.. Could also end up with a 451 cylinder and 454 barrel or vs versa again depending on when a d where. Hopefully u get lucky and cylinder is 1/2 to 1 thousands bigger than groove.
My gun is an Uberti clone,,,  set up just fine for .452 bullets.. .452 is snug in throats. lands .451... Makes things easy as I can use same bullets as my 45acp.
Cant help u if you are using 45 colt brass. All mine are loaded with 1/2 charge of pyrodex and a fiber wad for mounted blanks.

I use 5 gr titegroup powder over a 250 gr coated bullet. Personally I wouldn't use the Oregan Trail bullets in a light/cowboy load. Their bullets have a very high anitomy content(about 24 BHN). At cowboy load velocities you will not get bullet base obturation to seal the bullet against the rifling, and hence get greater leading of the barrel. The bullets I use, have a BHN of 12.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all - using 5 of BE under the 250 has so far (less than 100 rounds) proven to be accurate enough for my needs and I haven't seen any sign of leading...just lube & powder residue as expected.

Will be trying the same load but with the 200's soon.

After I use up the BE that I have I am going to get some Trail Boss to see how that does in comparison.

Local cowboy shooters that use Bullseye 4.2 under a 200 gr bullet.

I dont know the clays load but if you wont to try a different powder you dont have.

Trail Boss is the powder of choice ( 5.5 gr).

I shoot a lot of 45 Colt. My go to load- a classic- is 8 to 8.5 gr of Unique behind a 250 gr cast lead bullet. My SAA gives a small ragged hole at 20 yards off the bench. For light loads look to Trailboss data. Bullseye was the original powder used in the 45 Colt, it should work well as well. I just prefer Unique. 

1 hour ago, jeffz said:

This is my choice of bullets http://cowboybullets.com/

also try Blue  Bullets they sell a 250 polymer coated bullet. I have purchased some but haven’t worked up a load. Starline brass and CCI  or  Winchester primers.

Thanks - I use a lot of the Blue's in other calibers...let me know how it goes when you try them for your SAA.

On 12/4/2018 at 3:44 PM, jeffz said:

I shoot a lot of 45 Colt. My go to load- a classic- is 8 to 8.5 gr of Unique behind a 250 gr cast lead bullet. My SAA gives a small ragged hole at 20 yards off the bench. For light loads look to Trailboss data. Bullseye was the original powder used in the 45 Colt, it should work well as well. I just prefer Unique. 

???? Bullseye was the original powder used? Doesn't sound right at all. .45 Colt was a Black Powder round, originally. Just saying, don't mean to cause a stir.

Cowboy85306 you are correct. I miss stated. The first powder was black powder. I should has said first smokeless powder. I am working from memory and would have to look it up, but I beleive the US govt contract for ammo when they went smokeless changed to a heavier bullet and the original Bullseye formulation. It is a mute point though. You are correct original powder was black powder.

• 1 month later...